• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Choosing a HW

So I've settled on getting a springer and specifically, a Weihrauch. Now it's just a matter of which one.

My intended use is primarily for pest elimination anywhere from 10-30 yards (sparrows, tree rats, the rare groundhog that ventures too close to the veggie garden). I live in a residential neighborhood, but have a stand of trees/undeveloped area which back to my yard. I want something relatively quiet and I'm willing to purchase a tune kit if needed to tune or de-tune.

I was thinking an HW30s or HW50s in 0.20 cal, but the pellet selection is pretty meager. HW95 in 0.22 seems like overkill, and I'm guessing would be louder (maybe detune?)

Anyway, I'm curious to see what the recommendations are.

As a side note: Why are 0.20 cal more expensive than 0.22 or 0.177? Seems like with the lack of pellet selection, they'd be less popular and therefore cheaper?

The HW50S is good for any of those things but the groundhog. I've only shot one and that was with a Marauder 25cal at 40 foot pounds at 30 yards. I really don't know have many foot pounds it takes to shoot one. I have 2 HW50S's. One in 22 and one in .177cal, both tuned. The cocking effort is the same as the HW95 and sounds about the same. I also have an HW85 in 22cal, which basically an HW95 with a longer barrel and about the same power, maybe slightly more. If I could only have one I still would pick the HW95. Iti is a great all around gun, well balanced. It's not overpowering by any means. 

IMG_0709.1619570188.jpeg

That's a pic of the new HW50S .177cal stock and it seems lighter than the older version. It is also thinner on the sides

IMG_0667.1619570669.jpeg

Thats a pic of the HW50S .22cal with the older version of the stock. 

IMG_0694.1619570738.jpeg

This is a HW85 22cal. Tuned to 18.8 foot pounds with Predator GTO 11.75's at 851fps. Very accurate. 

The HW50S is good for any of those things but the groundhog. I've only shot one and that was with a Marauder 25cal at 40 foot pounds at 30 yards. I really don't know have many foot pounds it takes to shoot one. I have 2 HW50S's. One in 22 and one in .177cal, both tuned. The cocking effort is the same as the HW95 and sounds about the same. I also have an HW85 in 22cal, which basically an HW95 with a longer barrel and about the same power, maybe slightly more. If I could only have one I still would pick the HW95. Iti is a great all around gun, well balanced. It's not overpowering by any means. 

Beautiful guns. Looks like you have moderators on the HW50s. Did you purchase the 'Hunter' package or are those after market?

What tune kits did you get for the HW50s in 0.22?

Thanks!

Thoe

Beautiful guns. Looks like you have moderators on the HW50s. Did you purchase the 'Hunter' package or are those after market?

What tune kits did you get for the HW50s in 0.22?

Thanks!

Those are all muzzle brakes. The HW50S 22cal has a Vortek SHO tune kit in it with Vortek piston seal.