• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Crosman Choking an cheap airgun barrel?

back in 2020 on the GTA forum the boys were heat shrinking a choke into a barrel

Good memories in that post, thank you for using it as an example. That low pressure .177 was my only foray into long, flat unregulated shot strings. Good memories with that one but the gun no longer exists, as its parts and pieces are scattered across the US, passed on to other GTA members when i lost interest.

Bear in mind this was a make it better or fix it to death situation, at the time I had nothing to lose. There was no concern with the potential of a negative outcome.

Did it truly create a choke by shrinking the bore or did it just add a surface layer/coating to that portion of the bore creating a slightly smaller bore? In those days I did not have a borescope, even now I do not have a borescope small enough for .177 so I really had no way to inspect.

Truth be told I do not know the answer, but I stand by the group sizes shrinking afterwards, significantly. That.did indeed occur with no other changes to the gun.

How long would that last? I lost interest after a few tins of pellets and moved onto the next project.

Regarding the OP's post, if large head sizes fall down the bore, I do not know if adding a choke will help.

If I were in your shoes and wanting to try and salvage the barrel of a lower energy pellet shooter, i would have to try tightening the bore by applying a liberal coating of Trewax to the bore, letting it sit for several hours before shooting it out. Who knows, that layer of hard wax may just be enough to impart more control on the pellet?

Whether that would help or not I don't know. But there is little to lose in trying. Worst case there is no improvement and we can learn of something else that doesn't work.....maybe a waste of time and energy to some, maybe an interesting way to spend an afternoon for others...

Whatever you. do, please follow up and share a post of your findings.

Last edited:
Good memories in that post, thank you for using it as an example. That low pressure .177 was my only foray into long, flat unregulated shot strings. Good memories with that one but the gun no longer exists, as its parts and pieces are scattered across the US, passed on to other GTA members when i lost interest.

Bear in mind this was a make it better or fix it to death situation, at the time I had nothing to lose. There was no concern with the potential of a negative outcome.

Did it truly create a choke by shrinking the bore or did it just add a surface layer/coating to that portion of the bore creating a slightly smaller bore? In those days I did not have a borescope, even now I do not have a borescope small enough for .177 so I really had no way to inspect.

Truth be told I do not know the answer, but I stand by the group sizes shrinking afterwards, significantly. That.did indeed occur with no other changes to the gun.

How long would that last? I lost interest after a few tins of pellets and moved onto the next project.

Regarding the OP's post, if large head sizes fall down the bore, I do not know if adding a choke will help.

If I were in your shoes and wanting to try and salvage the barrel of a lower energy pellet shooter, i would have to try tightening the bore by applying a liberal coating of Trewax to the bore, letting it sit for several hours before shooting it out. Who knows, that layer of hard wax may just be enough to impart more control on the pellet?

Whether that would help or not I don't know. But there is little to lose in trying. Worst case there is no improvement and we can learn of something else that doesn't work.....maybe a waste of time and energy to some, maybe an interesting way to spend an afternoon for others...

Whatever you. do, please follow up and share a post of your findings.
Thanks for your input. I did heat shrink about 1" of the barrel. I can now feel a slight resistance now. I shot some groups but the wind here has been terrible for a week or so. The heat shrinking did seem to help. The scope, that came with the gun, is not very user friendly so l have a bug buster coming today. When the weather allows, l am going to see if there is any improvement. Never heard of Trewax. When can l find it. Thanks again, Don

Did you try some of the larger skirt diam pellets like Superdomes? I would try some wide skirt pellets and if they don't shoot ok in it your probably out of luck on a cheap gun like that.
I have some JSB 8.4- 4.53 but didn't see any improvement with them. I checked at Pyramyd air but didn't see anything over 4.53. What pellets would you recommend and would you have a source for them? Thanks, Don