Tuning Choked vs non-choked

For the most part a choked barrel will shoot a larger variety of pellets better than a non-choked barrel. The non-choked barre will usually shoot slugs and heavy pellets better. I would expect the choked barrel would shoot slightly slower than the non-choked version. If memory serves someone tested this some time ago.

I would also expect there would be a few exceptions to the rule depending on rifling and barrel diameters.

Barrels I.D. finish / smoothness, as well size of land / groove make a huge difference !!

Say you have nice tight bore, but surface finish of bore a tad rough or inconsistent breech to muzzle ...... pellet may start out snug and spinning true but END UP being looser by the time exiting muzzle. Accuracy won't be that good because pellet is not spinning true but slightly wobbling.

* Same barrel with SMOOTH bore and consistent in size will wear away less lead making the trip down barrels length and exit still spinning true & accurate.

Loose bore pellet never really is that well supported and ONLY gets well supported as it passes threw the choked area at muzzle. If pellet had a YAW wobble entering choke it will upon exit too ... BUT will be generally more accurate than the same barrel w/o a choke.

* Surface finish here still matters in that MORE WEAR the pellet gets looser in bore it will be once arriving at the choke. If the pellet to bore fit is still in head/skirt contact the pellet will still be YAW FREE generally and the choke does a last minuet stabilizing before muzzle exit.

There is MUCH written on this and above is my own words and thoughts to quickly anwser your inquire.

Scott S