• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.
My intention being on a target/small game and local competition rifle in .22
I am stuck between 3 air rifles being the 500-600 Panthera,M3 impact, and the VP Maverick. I am shying way from the slug shooters as I can't rationalize needing to shoot them. I've done my research on all 3 and being top of the line equipment I feel I can't go wrong.Im just stuck on what would be the best bang for my buck between the 3

I've had both the Maverick and the M3. I prefer my M3 as I like to tinker and am able to pretty much get the M3 to shoot anything I want projectile wise.
I know you said you don't plan on slugs but if somewhere down the road you want to mess with them for whatever reason the adjustability is there.
I'm sure my Maverick could have accomplished similar success but it's just easier for me with the M3 to get that ultimate tune.
As far as the Panthera............I've never even seen one in person so can't comment.

I've had both the Maverick and the M3. I prefer my M3 as I like to tinker and am able to pretty much get the M3 to shoot anything I want projectile wise.
I know you said you don't plan on slugs but if somewhere down the road you want to mess with them for whatever reason the adjustability is there.
I'm sure my Maverick could have accomplished similar success but it's just easier for me with the M3 to get that ultimate tune.
As far as the Panthera............I've never even seen one in person so can't comment.
I appreciate your reply and can attest to reading about the customization of the M3. Im aware of being able to change liners and barrel,to accommodate ammunition as well

Reactions: qball
I appreciate your reply and can attest to reading about the customization of the M3. Im aware of being able to change liners and barrel,to accommodate ammunition as well

Yes but I would also like you warn you that it’s a slippery slope! You will end up with multiple barrels in multiple calibers in multiple lengths with multiple furnitures/accessories for different “use cases”. Ultimately you will end up with at least 2 impacts……..ask me how I know.😅

Maverick VP is hands down best bang for the buck BUT so is a used M3.

Yes but I would also like you warn you that it’s a slippery slope! You will end up with multiple barrels in multiple calibers in multiple lengths with multiple furnitures/accessories for different “use cases”. Ultimately you will end up with at least 2 impacts……..ask me how I know.😅
Oh I understand I am already in a rabbit hole with paintball equipment.It starts with one and quickly multiply

Maverick VP is hands down best bang for the buck BUT so is a used M3.
So very true, had a 25 Maverick, bought a 22 M3. Prefer the 25 cal for my needs so bought a 25 M3 barrel kit.....used it, switched back to 22, now back to 25....lol. Why??? Because I can!

Id get an M3 Compact in 22Cal. You can max out any pellet and if you want to try some light slugs you can. I use Hades and Nielsen 17.5g in mine. The bigger plenum is tempting in the Maverick, but I dont like their cocking system as much or the shorter length barrel support.
Yeah that's why turns me off a bit about the maverick is the shorter barrel, although shot quality and grouping is great. I'm leaning toward a M3 or Panthera at the moment

Yeah that's why turns me off a bit about the maverick is the shorter barrel, although shot quality and grouping is great. I'm leaning toward a M3 or Panthera at the moment
M3. The Panthera is nice (I've held it but never shot it), but the single shot aspect turned me off. And with the M3, you can basically build another barrel setup that mimics the Panthera very closely.

Well the barrel length options are all the same. But the Maverick and Wildcat position the barrel support structure closer to the rear. The Impact is further forward and helps minimize poi shifting from bumping the barrel. I also own a Wildcat that is a bundle of awesome, but prefer the M3 enough to spend extra.