• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back to a traditional "Forum List" view, and/or "Light" mode click HERE.

Choice to make

I have a Hw97k blue laminate in.20 caliber. It has laser accuracy. Underlever cocking means no worry about barrel lock up to worry about as in the R9. Extremely well made and durable. It's a shame that there isn't more .20 caliber pellets made.
I also own a R9 in.177 caliber, it to is extremely accurate. Great little hunting gun.
If I had to chose between the 2 , a Hw97k in .177 caliber would be my choice for Field Target competition. IMO

I have a Hw97k blue laminate in.20 caliber. It has laser accuracy. Underlever cocking means no worry about barrel lock up to worry about as in the R9. Extremely well made and durable. It's a shame that there isn't more .20 caliber pellets made.
I also own a R9 in.177 caliber, it to is extremely accurate. Great little hunting gun.
If I had to chose between the 2 , a Hw97k in .177 caliber would be my choice for Field Target competition. IMO
Thank you for your input, while a heavy gun i'm starting to wonder if ishould also consider TX200 in .177. I have and love this gun in .22. Totally agree about .20 cal. but too limited supply in pellet choices.

Torn between decision between HW97K and R9, both would be .177 for Field Target shooting. Price not so different as to be an issue. Then there is the HW77K which I honestly don't know that much about. Opinions and recommendations welcome.
To answer your question, get the HW97 for field target.

Now, you brought up the HW77, which is basically an HW97 with open sights dressed in a different stock, so I will share this thought with you. I don't know how many air guns you have, if you plan to get more, if you are trying field target for the first time to see if you'll like it or if you have tried it before and are ready to jump in with both feet. I don't know if you have tried 10m shooting and like that or not. If you want a great spring rifle that can go in any direction the HW77 would be my choice. It can do all the HW97 can do and if you get a hankerin' for open sights shooting some day it can do that as well. It can also be tamed down to shoot much like a classic 10m gun with the addition of vintage diopter sights from HW or Anschutz. You may end up like me and move on to shoot field target with a PCP. How cool would it be to put a soft tune in a 77, outfit it with some proper vintage diopter iron and shoot 10m in the house in winter, join a 10m postal match or try for your NRA Distinguished Expert Award?