• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Choice of scopes for hw97

Howdy folks.
I am pulling the trigger on a hw97.
I want a good scope but only to the limits of the gun.
My budget is around 300 more or less(the gun was around 800)
thankyou in advance.
ps,I am new to group and I am not sure if I should have posted this in the optics section and not the springer section.
ps, If I am wrong can you find it in your hearts to forgive me!

Joe,
Congrats on the new rifle! A couple things: there are a fair number of good scopes in that price range-Leapers/UTG and Hawke come to mind, just make sure your scope is rated for a springer as the forward recoil will kill scopes that will survive a centerfire. Most of us who shoot springers favor a one-piece mount with a stop pin. Whether you use a one piece or two-piece mount you want to locate the mount on the gun, finger tighten the mounting screws, run the stop pin into one of the holes in the receiver and slide the mount back till you feel the pin hit the rear edge of the hole. Then snug up your mounting screws, tighten the stop pin and you shouldn't have to worry about your scope creeping backwards.
Another thing to be aware of is that a large scope may get in the way of the loading port if it is super long. 
John

I have been running the hawke varmint 6-24 SF on mine for 6 months now and I am pleased. Not super impressive but for 200$ it has been treating me real nice. I needed compensated mounts to get my desired zero but I expected that. What John said is on point Leapers and Hawke are most peoples first choice in that price range. My biggest complaint with my varmint is the weight. Looking back I would probably go for something lighter since the rifle is such a tank already. Keep us posted on your setup you should be really pleased the hw97 is a fantastic rifle. 

I am an old springer shooter, my favorite gun of all time is my HW97KT.

Had a Hawke Sidewinder 6-24x56mm on my girl, then had a Hawke EV 4-12x50mm on her, then I tried a Hawke 2-7x32mm, all with adjustable focus, they are all guaranteed forever and I really enjoy Chairgun Pro app on my phone, it has opened a new dimension in shooting for me. The Sidewinder is best for targets, (but pricey), the 2-7x32 was really quick on critters and on low power very bright and the EV 4-12 was best all around and well within your price range. The best scope for you depends on what will you be using it for. Any of the aforementioned scope are top notch, I just happen to be a Hawke/ Chairgun Pro fan.

I've had a lot of scopes on my springers, and by FAR the best has been my Vortex Diamondback 4-12X40 AO. 

Great glass, very solid build, good warranty, and a functional reticle. Rangefinding via the AO is great as well. Mine lives on my MK2 HW77K. 

The guys with the Diana 54 Airkings used to swear by these as the only scopes that would be sure to hold up on these guns, which are known to be brutal on scopes. I have to say mine has never flinched on anything I have ever put it in.

They are fixed pricing, so never go on sale. $300 is just what they cost from what I've seen. But I feel that you get more than what you pay for with these. I am very pleased with mine.

This is on a BKL Medium mount: