Choice of scope for 1 to 60 yard pesting ?

I've been pesting with my Taipan Long lately which is currently up for sale so I can get into a Taipan Compact.

It's just not good for the situations I've been in, I mean it's awesome actually but I really need a compact with a less magnification scope for quick target acquisition.

I was wondering what everyone is using ? It's farm pesting / backyard pesting, typically under 50 yards but sometimes a little longer , mostly between 30 to 40 yards. Looking at something like an optisan 1-6 for when i get my compact
20220618_165918.jpg

I don't have the West Hunter on my Scope Table yet, but it's probably the same scope I'm using under the Discovery brand with small variations.

I'll attach a Scope Specs Table for SHORT/light scopes (mostly 3-12x), and it will list the field of view (FoV) for each scope.

🔹 There are some large differences of the FoV even between scopes that all have the same bottom end magnification....

🔸 The Table shows you have a good amount of options, and you can pick your scope depending on field of view, price, IR, FFP or SFP, size/weight, glass quality, warranty, and then some.

Happy scope shopping! 😊

Matthias

❌ Attachment:
Scope Specs Table: Short Scopes and 3-12x (3-9x)

View attachment SCOPE Specs Table. For SHORT Scopes -and- 3-12x (3-9x) Scopes.pdf

The OP's issue is quick target acquisition. 😉
Which requires a wide field of view (FoV).
Which usually means a low magnification on the bottom end.

🔸However, as he says: "typically under 50 yards but sometimes a little longer, mostly between 30 to 40 yards" ➔
Now, that requires that the magnification on the top end is also quite high, because the kill zone of a typical critter at 40 yards, or "a little longer than 50 yards" is quite small.

(For pigeon body shots at 40y I'd be fine with 10x, but for ranges beyond 40y, or for head shots — I follow the adage "Aim small, miss small".)

3-12x seems like an ideal magnification range for these ranges — because there are lots of choices. 😊
If you wanted 2x on the bottom end and 10x on the top end, your choices are few and far between, especially if you want a 10y parallax and keep the price in check.

Matthias

• Love
Reactions: _CTAIRGUNNER_
well, really close ranges like ratting in a shed at 5-10ft requires a totally different setup imo, like a co2 with open sights .. but getting after a wide variety of pests and predators around the house, i have all sorts of scopes ive used .. the best all around so far is a westhunter 4-16ffp ..it just works best with my eyes, there is the issue with a scope like that, that ideally it needs to be set to a suitable mag and focus before going into action, but that scope is forgiving, bright, clear, light, and not too big .. not the 3-12, reticle and picture is too small, not the 6-24 eyebox is too tight... the 4-16 .. a straight 4x scope is the next best thing and better under 25 or so, but it falls short if the shot winds up being long ...

It really saddened me to see the payment come through for my Veteran Long in less than 20 minutes of ad being posted but I'm not saying I got rid of her, more of a weight loss program 😀

With that said I ordered my new compact last night but I took your guys advice on magnification and FOV

I ordered a Vector Optics Veyron 3-12x44 last night and think im going to order some eagle infinity rings and a bubble level setup.

@CTairgunner1288, like a few others have mentioned on the Veyron 3-12x44s. You may be losing that thin reticle on dark backgrounds or shady areas. The IR on WHT is daylight bright and makes the reticle useable at 3x. Without the IR the reticle is quickly lost in low light situations.
I guess I will be finding out. I watched reviews on both and made a late night decision . If it doesn't work out that's on me.

im looking through my scope at all magnification levels in my sun dappled yard at this moment. Please note that I have 60 year old eyes. But for me in the shadows and shady areas, against dark tree trunks. Very easy to lose the reticle even at 12x. The IR in those instances makes the difference between taking a shot or passing on a critter. Which is why my hunting or pesting scopes must have an IR.

@madeintheuk, I've been dialing from my 25 yard zero out to 64 yards. So far in the two months I've been using it? it's been holding up fine and returns to zero. But have to confess that I don't dial with this scope while pesting. At the ranges I'm using it (sub 60 yards) hold overs work for me. It's definitely a hunting scope, there are better choices for target shooting. The IR which is daylight bright is really sweet and shows up nicely on a starlings chest. I would buy it again.

I have been dialing the Discovery version of this scope, the VT-3 3-12x44 FFP. . . .

I don't have my records sorted, so I can only estimate, but I'd say I have dialed about 400 shots with no problems — at typically 40y to 65, i.e., 1 to 4mil) (I've have shot many more shots with the scope, but inside my point blank range that required no dialing).
I can only recommend it.

Matthias

Last edited:
I have a UTG SWAT, it's a bit crude but effective and the IR though not exactly precision engineering is very handy. It works well up close too. I've got a Vector Veyron 3-12 and it's a nice step up in quality, clearer glass by a mile, nicer turrets, but no IR and a very fine reticle. I like this scope a lot but they make an IR version now and I'd highly recommend that option.

I also just got a Hawke Sidewinder 4-16 and it's yet another big step up. Very forgiving eye box, wide FOV, very nice FFP reticle and IR. The ranging seems to have a narrower depth of field than my others. Very pleased with it.

The only down sides to having multiple optics is that once you get a taste for what money can buy, it's hard to look back.

With that said I ordered my new compact last night but I took your guys advice on magnification and FOV

I ordered a Vector Optics Veyron 3-12x44 last night and think im going to order some eagle infinity rings and a bubble level setup.

I have had both FFP and SFP Veyron 3-12 and they don't have the best FOV IMHO. Also the FFP reticle is very fine and at low power isn't very useful or almost useless. If you shoot in lower light setting you might want IR but I honestly have never used IR on any of my scopes, a good reticle design almost do away with the need of IR unless you hunt in very low light conditions. For 30-40 yards you will be at 10-12x anyways so the Veyron might work pretty well minus the narrow FOV.

For closer testing you shouldn't need to dial much if at all, depending on your target size a 1-8/10 LPVO might be the ticket for widest FOV and fastest target acquisition and still can hit small targets a little past 50 yards with ease. Plus being light and compact!

Reactions: _CTAIRGUNNER_
I have had both FFP and SFP Veyron 3-12 and they don't have the best FOV IMHO. Also the FFP reticle is very fine and at low power isn't very useful or almost useless. If you shoot in lower light setting you might want IR but I honestly have never used IR on any of my scopes, a good reticle design almost do away with the need of IR unless you hunt in very low light conditions. For 30-40 yards you will be at 10-12x anyways so the Veyron might work pretty well minus the narrow FOV.

For closer testing you shouldn't need to dial much if at all, depending on your target size a 1-8/10 LPVO might be the ticket for widest FOV and fastest target acquisition and still can hit small targets a little past 50 yards with ease. Plus being light and compact!

I have no problem getting into another scope of need be, I watched reviews and read them , got some input from some people who use them. I did find the reticle to be a bit thin when just messing around with it but I hate big gawdy rets so I took that as a "bonus" I guess I'll have to see when it comes time.

I was originally looking at the optisan cp series tbh