Chipper #72 for 2021, #5 for November

Well, it was only 42°F (up from a low of 30°F) when I spotted 2 chippers in the backyard this morning, so I was a little bit surprised to see them.

Anyway, the first one kept running as I opened the sniper window, but the second one stopped just before going out of my sight and back tracked... for the last time.

Head shot that was a little bit low but the chipper was DRT with no twitching. Shot entered right side of head near the ear, but below a line between the eye and ear hole. Exit was just forward of the left shoulder. The cheeks were full of forage.

~27 yards using .177 Benjamin Fortitude Gen2 with LUM77 10.5 @ ~750fps for ~12+fpe. Scope is Aim Sports Alpha 6 4.5-27x50 set to max/27 power.

My flip-phone camera still shifts to green in full sunlight, so I took another set of pics in the shade.

First 2 pics are entry. Second 2 pics are exit. Ping pong ball for scale.

IMG_0822.1637690782.jpg

IMG_0829.1637690793.jpg

IMG_0824.1637690800.jpg

IMG_0832.1637690813.jpg

No cigar yet, but I may have one later this evening. Probably a Rocky Patel Sun Grown Maduro Toro (6.5x52)

They are pretty good!

Ifvthey are multiplying that fast, you havent found the "Macdaddy" yet that is creating all these critters. Look for the one with the biggest smile on his face and take that one out !! Lol.....

LOL! There is no "Macdaddy". There are just a LOT of chipmunks in my area and they sometimes make the mistake of traversing my backyard from time to time. I will never get rid of all of them, but I WILL keep them from making their burrows in my yard or getting into my house or crawlspace. I think I am getting pretty good at it. (grin)

Thanks for the reply! (smile)

Good shooting . Your extended season is sweet for sure . Wishing you a warming trend to make it to # 75.

Thanks! 

Well, the night before this kill was about 30°F and had risen to 42°F by the time I noticed them and made the shot. So, I am not sure when they will stop showing up, but I have not seen another since, even though the temps have risen into the high 50s/low 60s since then.

However, according to what I have read, the torpor they go into is not as deep as a true hibernation, so it is possible to see one at any point throughout the winter as they try to replenish their food stock. But based on last winter, it isn't worth the effort to sit outside waiting for them or even keeping my "sniper window" open to look for them (stalking) during winter.

I keep my eyes open, especially when the temps warm up, but I am slowly losing my edge because I don't see any chippers for days and days.

Tree rats? Now that is another story. I don't post those kills for many reasons, but suffice to say that my numbers there are about 3 to 4+ times the chipper numbers for the year... in the same very small backyard!

Just a note about Chipmunks in my area...

Since my last post I have seen chippers 6 more times and during low temps at which I was surprised to see them.

Unfortunately, I could not take a shot at any of them for safety reasons.

However, I am going to keep my eyes open this winter for more activity! I am just not going to spend nearly as much time on them as I do during the peak "season".

The tree rats will keep me busy enough... (grin)

If the daytime temps keep staying warm 55°-65°F as they have been for the last day or so, I may get a few more shots at chippers.

Of course, warm temps (especially the 70s predicted for later this week) in my area this time of year, always means the possibility of bad weather with the chance of tornadoes.

Always has and always will. You understand, or at least acknowledge that possibility if you live in any of the "tornado alleys".

My best wishes to those folks who recently experienced deadly tornadoes. It is nothing new and does not discriminate.