• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Chipper #51 for the season, #4 for September

As I stepped outside I noticed this adult chipper scampering through a small hole in my side privacy fence near my wood pile. I quickly set up outside and waited for it to return. About 15 minutes later, it did... for the last time.

Chipper was quartering to me with right side exposed. Shot was ~15 yards, entered front of right shoulder and exited behind left shoulder. DRT, no movement after shot.

Almost forgot, the shot was through 2 layers of chain link fencing.

.177 Benjamin Fortitude Gen2 using CPUM 10.5 @ ~750fps for ~12+fpe. 

Scope is Aim Sports 4.5-27x50 set at about 20x power because of lighting conditions. Usually on max/27 power even at close range.

First through 3rd pics show entry. Fourth pic shows exit. Ping pong ball for scale.

IMG_0681.1632942812.jpg

IMG_0682.1632942820.jpg

IMG_0686.1632942828.jpg

IMG_0688.1632942846.jpg

Cigar will come later tonight when the temps are a little lower.

Decided not to wait. Enjoying a CAO Flathead 660. One of my favorites.

Backstop that's a nice shot, did you shoot standing or seated, in a blind?

The ONLY way I can get consistent accuracy/precision is by using a rest. All of my "rests" are improvised and only the front/middle of the gun stock is rested. It has been many years since I could shoot off-hand with any sort of consistent accuracy/precision.

This shot was seated. Here is a pic of what I used to take the shot, minus the gun. I think using the garbage can helps because the pests are used to seeing it anyway.

IMG_0691.1632946049.jpg

I rarely shoot standing, but did recently take a chipper at ~47 yards standing and using a large tree trunk to press the gun against for stability, but that is rare for me.

Most of the time I am shooting from my "sniper window" and I may be on my knees, sitting on the floor or sitting in a chair, all while using a step ladder and cushion as the rest. It just depends on where the pests show up in my yard. Many times my actual shooting position is awkward and uncomfortable when shooting from the window.

That's a cool rest, I shoot rats from my sniper rest, window set-up. I have a good friend who shoots off hand with his HW30 and routinely kills both squirrels and rats @ 20 yards!

Your set up looks like it will do the job nicely! I am a big believer in "make do" because I have had to do just that most of my life. Of course, I could buy a tripod or something else to aid in my shooting, but I have gotten so used to doing it this way that it really doesn't seem necessary. Especially since I am always shooting in my backyard where I know my ranges and not going out in the wild to hunt where I would have to do a lot more guess work.

Thanks, the reason I do head shots is so that they don't run into my neighbor's yard and die. Even though I shoot full power air rifles I have learned to shoot at medium power even with air pistols. Shot placement for me is King, I learned from the boys across the pond, they shoot sub 12 f.p.e with remarkable results. I think it depends on the rat because some don't bleed as much. For some reason .177 cal. seems to be bloodier. 

Thanks, the reason I do head shots is so that they don't run into my neighbor's yard and die. Even though I shoot full power air rifles I have learned to shoot at medium power even with air pistols. Shot placement for me is King, I learned from the boys across the pond, they shoot sub 12 f.p.e with remarkable results. I think it depends on the rat because some don't bleed as much. For some reason .177 cal. seems to be bloodier.

I take heart shots all the time on rats and chippers and when I do it right, they are DRT. They don't run and no blood. Tree rats... well, sometimes they do run about 10-20 feet if I don't do my job.

And I am shooting .177 @ ~12+fpe.

Accuracy/precision of shot placement is key. (smile)

I bought my avenger.25 setup just for getting chippies in my yard. Now it’s getting cooler they’re more active. I’ve posted a few pictures in this hunting topic, I just started a week or so ago and I’ve gotten like 15 so far, but I still hear more chipping away in the woods…

Good for you! Last year I had a target rich environment on chippers about this time. However, I had not even targeted the little pests until then. Combined last Fall and this entire Spring/Summer season, I have eliminated about 126 or so. So I am not really surprised that I am not seeing as many at this time as I did last year. (grin)

BTW for me, .25 is WAY overkill for chippers. To each their own. (smile)

Nice shooting! How was the 'gar??

The Flatheads are usually always good, but this one has had burn issues during the first third and that is UNusual with them, but it seems to have corrected itself after the first third.

Oh well... still worthy of its 95 rating.

Overall sounds good.....

Now on a Cohiba Red Dot Churchill along with a bourbon and water. Not my favorite stogie, but not bad either. (grin)