Chinese scba tanks?

I have been thinking of getting one of the 6.8l ace care tanks. Big price difference between the CE and DOT certifications. Since I’m filling my own tank is the DOT certification really necessary?
DOT certification is really only needed in the U.S. (and I believe accepted in Canada?) if you are not filling the cylinders with your own personal compressor.

CE certification works throughout Europe, Asia, and is intended to be a worldwide standard.

While I am a happy owner of Chinese produced bottles, I often wonder whether the CE certificate from a Chinese manufacturer is even worth the paper it is printed on. CE certification is real and effective, but are unscrupulous companies claiming CE certification with a mocked-up & phony certificate shown? Seems to me like AceCare and Alsafe are maybe companies which are large and established enough to have real certification. New and smaller Chinese companies, I continue to wonder.

I have been thinking of getting one of the 6.8l ace care tanks. Big price difference between the CE and DOT certifications. Since I’m filling my own tank is the DOT certification really necessary?
Short answer is no, you don’t need a DOT tank if you are doing the filling, as all my three tanks are CE tanks. But I will tell you how a DOT tank could have some surprising perk here in the states:

So let’s say you have a scuba shop near your home and the owner who absolutely refuses to work your CE tank (they absolutely can btw, and lucky enough my local shop got no problem filling my CE tanks), then your DOT tank comes in handy. Next you will ask why do I need a scuba shop if Ive already told you I’m doing the filling myself? Well you see all your tank will arrive empty. And if you can have the shop fill these empty tanks to 3000psi(depending on how far the shop can fill usually it’s 3000), and let your own compressor cover the last 5 miles. We are talking about hours saved in filling and working a new tank, depending on the volume of your new tank, the strength of your compressor and its filtration setups. Realistically you only need to do this once.

Last edited:
Are the DOT certified Chinese cylinders with m18 1.5 threads safe and good to go? Found a brand that is DOT but has that “other” threading so I’m assuming it would need a China made valve as well. Anyone have experience with such products?
350cc tank, been holding 4k with no issues.

350cc tank.jpg

M18x1.5 threads aren't a Chinese peculiarity. Almost the whole world is using the metric system now. I own a US-made Luxfer SCBA bottle that has an M18x1.5 thread in its neck because it's made for the Australian market. The type of thread used is irrelevant to its certification by D.O.T. or any other authoritative body. It may be more difficult to find valves for these cylinders in your country but they can be found elsewhere if you don.t trust the Chinese.