• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Chinese pumps: upgrade to my Benjamin hand pump?

I have a Benjamin hand pump I bought used and in not-working condition. I rebuilt the pump, bought my first PCP, and have had no issues out of it since. I know the inside and out very well now. I can take it apart and clean it up and get it back together in less than 20 minutes. I don't sit down and shoot hundreds of shots so my pump needs are pretty low, 40-50 shots is about the max I ever shoot in a session and my 177 G2 Fortitude can do that a couple of times at 11FPE before I need to pump it up again.

When I was researching how to rebuild my pump I recall reading a couple of times how people prefer the cheap Chinese hand pump over the Benjamin. I've had zero problems out of my Benjamin but in a case of "Grass is Greener" syndrome I've been debating if I should get a Chinese pump is it is indeed an upgrade over the Benjamin. The the question is it a worthy $60 upgrade over a Benjamin pump? Why would it be considered better? Pump speed? durability? Ease of pumping? I'm basically looking for someone tot talk me into or out of spending $60 on a pump I probably don't need.

If your pump works, great! Don’t switch anything out until that pump dies. Unless you want a backup — you can get one for $30 on AliExpress (that’s what I use) and a $15 filter to complete the deal. They are not super smooth but are definite work-horses. I don’t think they would be better than your Benjamin, unless you get the “deluxe” 4 stroke desiccant filter one for $100.

Unless you want a backup or your pump breaks though, I would not buy anything right now. 

AK

I dont have a benjamin pump but I have 2 30 dollar Ali express pumps. Honestly they work great and reseal kits are super cheap. I can't say they are better but they are cheap and get it done. I might buy a huben handpump if I ever need to go higher than 3000 psi but for 99 percent of airguns the Chinese are great. I would keep your pump though I don't think they would be any better than yours. 

I have a Benjamin hand pump I bought used and in not-working condition. I rebuilt the pump, bought my first PCP, and have had no issues out of it since. I know the inside and out very well now. I can take it apart and clean it up and get it back together in less than 20 minutes. I don't sit down and shoot hundreds of shots so my pump needs are pretty low, 40-50 shots is about the max I ever shoot in a session and my 177 G2 Fortitude can do that a couple of times at 11FPE before I need to pump it up again.

When I was researching how to rebuild my pump I recall reading a couple of times how people prefer the cheap Chinese hand pump over the Benjamin. I've had zero problems out of my Benjamin but in a case of "Grass is Greener" syndrome I've been debating if I should get a Chinese pump is it is indeed an upgrade over the Benjamin. The the question is it a worthy $60 upgrade over a Benjamin pump? Why would it be considered better? Pump speed? durability? Ease of pumping? I'm basically looking for someone tot talk me into or out of spending $60 on a pump I probably don't need.

The Aliexpress $29.50 pump is significantly easier to pump (for ME) than the Benjamin pump. In fact seems easier to pump (for ME) than my FX and Air Force and BSA (Old Hill) and my Hill MK3. Yo!

Like others have said, the Chinese pump is only $30. Not $60. If you paying $60, you getting rip off. I owned and used a chinese pump and a Benjamin pump. I would say the Benjamin pump is a bit smoother to pump but not worth the price tag. The reason the Chinese pump is better is, it gets the job done for $30 vs the Benjamin pump that does the same thing for $160. Not sure how much the Benjamin pump is now but when I got it back in 2011, it was $160 from prymaid air. Then I also got the hill pimp mk4 which is better than both but at a price tag of $280. 

Yo! IS WRONG!!!
1592948869_1097808285ef27885d17580.00304838.png
1592948879_13626307895ef2788fc1f9c1.97094761.png

The only upgrade to a hand pump is a compressor; mechanical advantage is awesome. Re-investing into a mechanical hand pump for the purposes of high availability or redundancy reminds me of the law of diminishing returns.

I'd hold on to those funds and consider investing them in something that works for you instead of you working harder :)

Also since we have "Why" I feel I must say hello to Hoa Nyugen -- in US English heard as "Who 'n When" whom I suspect is our legendary friend, yo :)