• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Chinese Products

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol did you see my post titled exactly the same thing? I wonder could the moderators join the posts cos this is something we need to take seriously right now...we need to support our local businesss and genuine US and allies products ie EU, not some communist regime that flushed us down the toilet into this fkn mess we are in now, let’s make them pay for it

and their products SUCK anyways 

I am going to start being particular from now on to try not to buy any Chinese Airgun products. I know it may be difficult especially when it comes to optics and cheaper airguns. What say you guys?

Sentiment here is spot on. Not difficult for airguns or scopes, but for other products..not so easy.

The scary part about things manufactured in China, is the indirect control it exerts on on all countries..not just the US. Forget about automobile parts or consumer electronics. The biggest threat is to the supply of medicine. I've read 80 to 90 percent of drugs or the active ingredient used to make them consumed in the US come from China. Not only are the drugs and ingredients made in China, but most pharma companies doing business there are coerced to store the drugs in China as well. That should scare the hell out of anyone dependent on a life saving or life extending medication. Think about that for a second. What if you or a loved one could not get their blood thinner med or insulin? Would there be a good outcome?

So yeah. Repatriate manufacturing critical to the security and health of the US? Absolutely should be done. Will it come at a cost? Sure. 

Interesting aside..Pres. Trump just signed an executive order banning use of foreign parts in power plants and transmission systems. Let the games begin.

"Interesting aside..Pres. Trump just signed an executive order banning use of foreign parts in power plants and transmission systems. Let the games begin."

So much for "infrastructure week."

The last manufacturer of transmission gear closed shop in St. Louis about a decade ago....and that was ABB who bought Westinghose.

We do NOT have any capacity in the US for large transformers, circuit breakers, generators, or other transmission gear and it's not like the tooling for these are just sitting around ready to build again -- it will take YEARS to restart this industry.

"Interesting aside..Pres. Trump just signed an executive order banning use of foreign parts in power plants and transmission systems. Let the games begin."

So much for "infrastructure week."

The last manufacturer of transmission gear closed shop in St. Louis about a decade ago....and that was ABB who bought Westinghose.

We do NOT have any capacity in the US for large transformers, circuit breakers, generators, or other transmission gear and it's not like the tooling for these are just sitting around ready to build again -- it will take YEARS to restart this industry.

Have you got a link for that? I can't find anything on it. NEVER MIND - I found it.

I made my favorite airguns here in Calif. with help from a friend, Just about everything in my design is American made. The hard part is the barrel, which I couldn’t make as well as others, so we had to source from where I felt the best came from. That said, a few of my guns do use good American barrels, and are thus, completely US made.

If more folks stopped whining and learned how to do things here again, we might pay a little more, but we would likely be prouder for it. A key point is to not try to make cheap throwaway stuff ... try to make the best you know how.

I wish machinists and engineers made as much as buyers and advertising guys.

Just because the president would like American parts used in transmission and generation doesn't mean it will happen if they are not made. 

Therealid's mentioned machining. Point me to a American made lathe.

I think American made is an ideal but not a reality in a globalist economy. However, there is a practical and realistic step: use lathes from Germany or other like minded neighbors that do not lie, cheat, steal, and unleash global pandemics! Think of the financial cost Covid-19 has costed the globe because of China. 

Just because the president would like American parts used in transmission and generation doesn't mean it will happen if they are not made. 

Therealid's mentioned machining. Point me to a American made lathe.

I think American made is an ideal but not a reality in a globalist economy. However, there is a practical and realistic step: use lathes from Germany or other like minded neighbors that do not lie, cheat, steal, and unleash global pandemics! Think of the financial cost Covid-19 has costed the globe because of China.

I don't know that it's fair to say that China unleashed this virus on the world. The word suggests an intentional act and I don't know of any evidence to support that. Consider too that China suffered economically and physically from the virus no differently than every other nation.
We as consumers can try to buy US made only, but it will cost more and in many cases people can't afford to pay extra. Secondly for some products it's practically impossible, even if it's made in the US, component parts and raw materials may still originate in China or elsewhere.
The tariffs put in place were supposed help to correct the imbalance, but even with them it's still cheaper for many businesses to buy from China and in some cases there is no other source. BTW contrary to what Trump says, China does not pay the tariffs, they are paid by the importers who pass the cost along in increased pricing and ultimately to the consumer in higher prices.

Unless there are specific laws to prevent them from doing so, businesses will seek to maximize profit by any means at their disposal. Obviously any legislation that would seek to limit corporate profits would be extremely unpopular.

Don’t make it political. It’s not about the president, though I do like that he WANTS to make us more independent again.

It’s about our laziness ... it IS easy to just buy from places that have lower costs, but we have become too dependent on them, and lost our once powerful ability to make anything we needed to on our own.

So easy to say, “show me an American lathe”, but if ALL thought was this way, we might as well roll over and do nothing, I had several American Lathes, and they were good, but when I began building an airgun or two, I suddenly wanted a larger lathe, so I sold my nice 9” Logan and got a decent used Taiwan-built 14 inch gap PLUS a Bridgeport lookalike Taiwanese vertical mill for cheap from a widow lady. Frankly any hobbyist that feels he NEEDS a brand new lathe just to play with airguns is being “proud foolish” to me.

There are lots of good used American-made lathes and mills around for the cost of a decent pcp field target rifle, so what’s wrong with buying used to START making American made stuff again? Or even use a chinese machine to make and American built airgun .... the concept some whiners use .... the all or nothing concept is foolish.

I USED Japanese/Taiwanese made computers way back to run Autocad to design stuff, then even used some Chinese grinders or mill cutters or drills and hand files to make what I wanted .... but my point is I’m and American, and I designed and built what I wanted no matter WHO made the tools I used to do it with. The first gun I made was mostly using a Craftsman drillpress with xy table and hand tools .... it was in the late 80’s.

Its mostly mental drive that gets work done, not a brand name machine.

Now all smartphones and computers are made offshore, and we have lost the ability to even MAKE them good enough to sell to the public ..... but it needn’t STAY this way if we get off our asses and being to take more care of ourselves!

I have no issues with Chinese airguns, my only worry on any company is are they a strong company that will be there to provide spare parts and support.

We are gun owners let's not start being racist and blaming China. The reality is that the world has too many humans and our global warming is contributing to more and more viruses. As we invade and take over all of the wildlife of the world it is inevitable for viruses to spread and spring up. We are thawing out the permafrost and go Google that, guess what we are melting that ice from hundreds to thousands of years old and guess what that is creating old viruses to be thawed out and they are still alive! The reality is that THERE IS NO PROOF THAT THE CAUSE WAS ANYONE EATING BATS NOR ANY PROOF THAT IT WAS FROM THE WET MARKETS OF WUHAN. Fueling racist comments to Asians and China is just that RACISM.

FACTS:

As stated in the Washington Post 4/2/20 here are the fact, it is not right to start prejudicial attitudes on any race, China or otherwise with incorrect facts:

* Bats weren't sold at the seafood market

*the first covid-19 case in Wuhan had no connection to the seafood market

*the Chinese Center for Disease control & prevention located 300 yards away from the wet markets, "Researchers from that facility and the nearby Wuhan Institute of Virology have posted articles about collecting bats carnivorousness from around China, for study to prevent future illness" Also "Wuhan CDC video shows staffers collecting bat corona viruses with inadequate personal protective equipment and unsafe practices"

As stated in Microbiology Australia, " How this virus moved from animal to human populations is yet to be determined" and "it may not have actually emerged in the market", "

I have no issues with Chinese airguns, my only worry on any company is are they a strong company that will be there to provide spare parts and support.

We are gun owners let's not start being racist and blaming China. The reality is that the world has too many humans and our global warming is contributing to more and more viruses. As we invade and take over all of the wildlife of the world it is inevitable for viruses to spread and spring up. We are thawing out the permafrost and go Google that, guess what we are melting that ice from hundreds to thousands of years old and guess what that is creating old viruses to be thawed out and they are still alive! The reality is that THERE IS NO PROOF THAT THE CAUSE WAS ANYONE EATING BATS NOR ANY PROOF THAT IT WAS FROM THE WET MARKETS OF WUHAN. Fueling racist comments to Asians and China is just that RACISM.

FACTS:

As stated in the Washington Post 4/2/20 here are the fact, it is not right to start prejudicial attitudes on any race, China or otherwise with incorrect facts:

*the Chinese Center for Disease control & prevention located 300 yards away from the wet markets, "Researchers from that facility and the nearby Wuhan Institute of Virology have posted articles about collecting bats carnivorousness from around China, for study to prevent future illness" Also "Wuhan CDC video shows staffers collecting bat corona viruses with inadequate personal protective equipment and unsafe practices"

As stated in Microbiology Australia, " How this virus moved from animal to human populations is yet to be determined" and "it may not have actually emerged in the market", "

To call someone racist is the worst thing you can call anyone in America. I have no problem saying China is responsible, either from incompetence or purposefully. Saying China is responsible is not about race but about a state, namely, an evil tyrannical communist state that has 3 million Muslims in a concentration camp as we speak, kills dissidents and silences scientists and doctors on the front lines from the earliest outbreak to the current day. Many Chinese people are against China as a country, and just FYI anyone on here could be Chinese, even myself, and you are presuming a racial issue when I see only a national issue being addressed. The only person being a dirty player here is the person calling another person a racist for an opinion about one of the most evil governments in human history. 

The saddest thing is that all those Chinese and Muslim people in concentration camps that are not part of this conversation and that will never be given a voice because they are killed.

Grow up.

FACTS:

To call someone racist is the worst thing you can call anyone in America. I have no problem saying China is responsible, either from incompetence or purposefully. Saying China is responsible is not about race but about a state, namely, an evil tyrannical communist state that has 3 million Muslims in a concentration camp as we speak, kills dissidents and silences scientists and doctors on the front lines from the earliest outbreak to the current day. Many Chinese people are against China as a country, and just FYI anyone on here could be Chinese, even myself, and you are presuming a racial issue when I see only a national issue being addressed. The only person being a dirty player here is the person calling another person a racist for an opinion about one of the most evil governments in human history. 

The saddest thing is that all those Chinese and Muslim people in concentration camps that are not part of this conversation and that will never be given a voice because they are killed.

Grow up.

I too am against their political policies especially their treatment of people's rights. BUT when our president labeled the COVID-19 virus the "China" virus, that immediately created hundreds and now thousands per day of racist attitudes and even violence to anyone Asian. When you label anything that people can conceive directed to one's race that crap happens. When you say "China is responsible for the virus" it can have the exact same fueling of racism that the president created and that is a fact.

Hopefully you and the others are NOT RACIST, and if so none of you would:

* stare or distance themselves because of one's race

* are not scared to eat Asian take out food

* does not do anything vulgar or violent to a person because of their race

* are unwilling to talk to or be friends with people whom are Asian

Because of that one act of calling the COVID-19 the "China" virus, Asians have been spit on, called vulgar names, been attached violently and this has caused our great country to be more polarized. Hopefully you are not racists nor the others responding to this...

FACTS:

Grow up.

I too am against their political policies especially their treatment of people's rights. BUT when our president labeled the COVID-19 virus the "China" virus, that immediately created hundreds and now thousands per day of racist attitudes and even violence to anyone Asian. When you label anything that people can conceive directed to one's race that crap happens. When you say "China is responsible for the virus" it can have the exact same fueling of racism that the president created and that is a fact.

Hopefully you and the others are NOT RACIST, and if so none of you would:

* stare or distance themselves because of one's race

* are not scared to eat Asian take out food

* does not do anything vulgar or violent to a person because of their race

* are unwilling to talk to or be friends with people whom are Asian

Because of that one act of calling the COVID-19 the "China" virus, Asians have been spit on, called vulgar names, been attached violently and this has caused our great country to be more polarized. Hopefully you are not racists nor the others responding to this...

Again, grow up.

China is responsible for Covid-19, so put that in your pipe and smoke it, along with your “orange man bad and everyone is racist” remarks.

Why people call the Wuhan virus the Wuhan virus or the Chinese virus, when it emphatically is the Chinese virus, is because we usually name viruses based on their place of origin. For example, MERS is the Middle Eastern Respiratory Syndrome, the Spanish Influenza (which ironically scientists think actually originated also in China) was called so because it was believed to have originated in Spain. Here are some more examples: Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, West Nile Virus, and Valley Fever and ad infinitum.

So you know when I say the Chinese flu, the Wuflu, or the Wuhan Coronavirus, I am in a long tradition of naming viruses based on their geographic origin. Yes the virus originated in China.

I hope everyone rethinks their relationship to China after it failed to contain the virus in the Wuhan Level 4 Biolab studying corona viruses. I also hope that people rethink their relationship to China since China suppressed information about the virus and killed Chinese doctors trying to warn America and the rest of the world. I hope the Chinese people become a free people and rid themselves of a tyrannical government. I hope people like you learn from something other than the talking points of MSNBC or any other network. I hope most of all for the freedom of 3 million Uyghurs, Kazakhs, Kyrgyz and Christians in Chinese Gulags who are imprisoned, starving, and dying in mass literally right now as you are peddling with political correctness and propaganda coming directly from your good friends, the Communist Party of China.

I can't say for certain if there is any intentional racism connected in calling the Corona virus the China virus. Only the people using those terms can say. But I think it is important to note that the Swine flu of 2009 originated in Veracruz Mexico. I don't recall at that time anyone calling it the Mexican flu or having a travel ban against Mexicans.

But enough of this nonsense. We're here to talk about air guns again.

1588478981_3162174815eae440524e495.63756112.jpg

https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2020/feb/07/coronavirus-chinese-rage-death-whistleblower-doctor-li-wenliang

Now their most famous product is the Wuflu. The whole world has it!

Anybody remember the Ford Fiesta car from the 1970's? The plate on the car had a whole bunch of little flags on it. I was selling cars at the time (Rumor warning here) and was told that the flags on the name plate represented the countries where parts were produced. Assembled in USA, manufactured elsewhere. If you shop at Walmart, you buy Chinese, India, and about every other third world country out there. Many of which have Human Rights problems. Heck, even the N95 masks I gave to my Doctor were made in China.

Whether the marker used is quality, human rights or something else, we need to be very careful. Like a few years ago when Nike got busted paying Vietnamese workers a pittance making shoes. It was the going rate in Vietnam, but the do-gooders decided Nike should be paying US pay rates instead. Nike just closed the plant, now the workers have nothing.

On the other hand, around 10 years ago, I was beefing up my Dutch Oven collection and needed a 12-Deep oven. Lodge (located in Tennessee) sold the oven I wanted for about $50 if I remember correctly. Harbor Freight sold a Chinese version for $9.99. Quality was OK, but nothing stellar. For $10 I was tempted. Still, how does a company buy the Raw Iron, cast it, box it, ship it to Salt Lake City, sell it for $10 and make a profit? Answer, China was heavily subsidizing the smelters to drive other companies out of business and leave the markets. The same oven at Harbor Freight is $30 today if I remember correctly. I want Lodge to stay in business, so I bought Lodge instead. Besides better quality in my eyes.

Back in the 1980's South Korea's Hynex dumped subsidized computer memory on the US market and about drove Micron out of business. Clinton Administration didn't do anything about it, to keep South Korea happy. After 30 years, Micron is still recovering. Can't even trust our own government with this stuff.

Dealing with products from other nations is really tricky. All I can say is, if its the right quality, right price, and not subsidized to drive local businesses out, and not built by virtual slaves, I'll buy. If I know that's it's subsidized, predatory pricing, made by slaves, or crappy quality, I try to go elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.