Chinese Chronograph vs Labradar

I bought a cheap one to adjust the hammer spring instead of setting up the labradar every time. And I can shoot into a box on my back porch. It's just more convenient to have something like the Chinese thing. I tested it against the Labradar to see if its worth the time. I think it does an adajit job. I know others don't have to money to invest in high dollar chronographs, I don't. I just have access to a Labradar, I don't own it.

Are you going to get exactly what the speeds are? No.
Can you tune your rifle using one? Yes

I think it is very useful and saves me time.

I don't shoot groups with mine on, I'm just looking at the numbers. Others use a tripod and don't attach it to the rifle.

lab-vs-china.jpg

It cost less when I bought it, you can find them for 15 bucks. This is just a link to the one I own.

15$ from aliexpress

20$ version in the event above sells out

Only 5 left at the time of posting, the other day it was 10. So they are going to sell out and go back up, although other vendors have them for 20$ @ aliexpress. Also if you're new to aliexpress you can usually get a coupon/discount code, every buck helps.

@Florida_Man do these supply their own light for the sensors or do you need good lighting?

-Matt

Reactions: nervoustrig
Thing is you don't know how each ones calibrated or algorithm used . The the pellet distance from the first led and so on .. so that little difference could be any small factor .. it's not like labs showing 800 and chinas showing 650 ..lol. to me that comparison and slight difference ain't bad at all .

Just using it the way it comes
I never tighten it too much. I’ve been using it since April. I’ve never heard a crack.
Ya.. that's a design flaw omho. I use it once on my gamo with that whisper baffle and took it right off seeing that it's more then likely going to snap the board.. no big deal cause I just rest the barrel in the yoke thing and shoot it off a old mouse pad cushion flat on the bench top.. just because it's cheap don't mean I want to bust quick..

I did think about a stiffing block across under the circut board to help take the pressure of tighting the ubolt causing over flexing of it . All ot takes is that one oops and snap..

• Wow
Reactions: Nattboy
Looking at the unit - depending on where & how the sensors are located you may have issues on hot days...

Movement of the barrel in the mount will probably be the biggest issue with this design. Use a bit of hard rubber between the barrel & the mount to stop movement. A small amount of movement (especially a springer) could throw the readings out a fair bit.

On mine I’ve covered the wire u-clamp with a length of electrical shrink tube to avoid any possible scuffing. Also lined clamp base with moleskin for same reason.
IMG_3604.jpeg

I sometimes have to mount the chrony sideways for clear sight line. Sun shining on underside of top then is an issue. Covering the sides will keep out unwanted light.

Good for indoors or other situations where radar/doppler units don’t function.

Downside is that they do not fit onto all airguns.

Interesting to note clamp base is just a Picatinny adapter repurposed for a base. Mine came with the other halve of the adapter barrel clamp as well as the wire u-clamp.