• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Chinese Chronograph vs Labradar

I 3d printed a 'push-on' attachment for mine.

FA09F270-0CD5-454C-8D5C-FD31977132C5_1_105_c.jpeg

I've noticed a POI shift on some guns with the clamp on. I am often shooting groups as I measure velocity testing pellets. So I prefer the tripod mount version. I managed to nick one, however, but I just bought another from Aliexpress. Not a big tragedy when they are around $20. The new one reads in fps. I honestly don't know why people spend the money to get "better" chronographs, The little cheap ones work great. My old tripod mount gave a little different velocity than my clamp on. My new tripod reads the same as the clamp on. If they are off 15-20 fps it isn't going to hurt much. I have to juggle inputs to chairgun to get it to match my shooting results at different distances so the possibility the velocity is a little off just gives me a good excuse to try a little different muzzle velocity input.

Those outputs look great compared to the labradar. They are within about 2% of each other, but more importantly it looks like it tracks well with the labradar regarding speed changes, and this is the more critical matter when tuning. Really just a small offset between the two, which can easily be compensated for since it looks quite consistent. Looking at the SD after applying the offset, the values are within about 0.1% of each other. Way better than I would have expected. If two labradars were run together, I doubt even they would be able to achieve a 0.1% or lower delta.

I've noticed a POI shift on some guns with the clamp on. I am often shooting groups as I measure velocity testing pellets. So I prefer the tripod mount version. I managed to nick one, however, but I just bought another from Aliexpress. Not a big tragedy when they are around $20. The new one reads in fps. I honestly don't know why people spend the money to get "better" chronographs, The little cheap ones work great. My old tripod mount gave a little different velocity than my clamp on. My new tripod reads the same as the clamp on. If they are off 15-20 fps it isn't going to hurt much. I have to juggle inputs to chairgun to get it to match my shooting results at different distances so the possibility the velocity is a little off just gives me a good excuse to try a little different muzzle velocity input.
I have not seen one of the Chinese versions in a tripod mount.