Chinese Barrels

The US has made a pact with the Devil with China,...as much as there's so much hatred for the country as it is America would not survive without China products.

If today you would take every China product off the shelves you would probably have a revolution :ROFLMAO: ,..pay close attention at the vast majority of affordable items floating in a US household and they are from China.

So this outrage for the country is really just an exercise of hypocrisy, grandstanding and self righteousness.

When I was a little kid (during the cold war), stuff made in Japan was considered trash. That has obviously changed over time, as I've a Kawasaki mc and a Toyota truck....

The entire history of airgun production in China is not a topic I'm familiar with, but I do recall a friend having to spend time over there getting a handle on the non-existent QC standards for the guns he was having produced back in the early nineties. I told him then that I'd rather that they were made in Mexico as they were honestly corrupt instead of government-sponsored corrupt... (Mexico doesn't do genocide or harvest organs from political prisoners.) The chinese did soon take over the means of production and screw him out of his hard earned profits, (just as Ayn Rand had predicted). I think it took them a year.

So yes, we're dealing with the devil and will eventually get screwed. How big that will be is anyone's guess (and the communist's plan). I avoid chinese products as much as possible, but American greed has made that difficult. It is what it is. I love the QB78 but hate where it's made.

If the guy/gal/boy/girl producing the barrel in question cares about how good it will be, then it will be a better barrel. The means of motivating them to care is always the question.

Cheers,

J~

Until a month ago the best 100 yard airgun accuracy I've gotten in testing hundreds of airguns was with a Chinese-made, $459 .30 AEA Challenger-
AEA .81 at 100.jpg

And to show that was no fluke-
AEA .85 at 100.jpg

Mind you, I had not only tuned the gun down from monster power to 'only' 80 foot pounds, but also polished the bore and muzzle-crown.

But a month ago my $3000, .25 Daystate Red Wolf with Lothar Walther barrel bettered the .81" c-t-c AVERAGE accuracy of the Chinese AEA by posting this .70" average at 100 yards (I think that half-inch group is the best I've ever gotten)-
1710345909075.png

Other examples of an extremely accurate Chinese barrel, in this case a .177 QB78 barrel produced a quarter-century ago, is this .29" c-t-c five shot group at 50 yards shot from stool and bipod in light crosswinds-
QB at 50.jpg

And this .58" c-t-c ten-shot group shot from the same position, also in light crosswind conditions-
QBG 50 10 group.jpg

By the way, Crosman produced wonderfully-accurate barrels in the 1950s and 60s for their $20 airguns. In this case a Crosman 187 Co2 rifle converted to AIR PISTOL; the rifle barrel chopped with a hack-saw, and re-crowned with rotary-tool bits. Five consecutive five-shot groups at 50 yards averaged .66" c-t-c in outdoor conditions! Two subsequent accuracy testing sessions of five consecutive five-shot groups at 50 yards both averaged .67" c-t-c, so this photo is also no fluke-
187 PFT groups.JPG

A point not to be overlooked in this post is the fact none of these averages equalled any of these barrels accuracy potentials, considering there was some amount of human error and outdoor wind conditions in every case. Even more human error in the QB barrel groups shot from the stool-and-bipod Hunter Class field target position.

Another point is Crosman produced barrels over a half-century ago that shoot as well a virtually any that modern manufacturing and marketing can muster nowadays; and the Chinese have done the same for the last quarter-century.

Just sayin'.

Reactions: Centercut
When I was a little kid (during the cold war), stuff made in Japan was considered trash. That has obviously changed over time, as I've a Kawasaki mc and a Toyota truck....

The entire history of airgun production in China is not a topic I'm familiar with, but I do recall a friend having to spend time over there getting a handle on the non-existent QC standards for the guns he was having produced back in the early nineties. I told him then that I'd rather that they were made in Mexico as they were honestly corrupt instead of government-sponsored corrupt... (Mexico doesn't do genocide or harvest organs from political prisoners.) The chinese did soon take over the means of production and screw him out of his hard earned profits, (just as Ayn Rand had predicted). I think it took them a year.

So yes, we're dealing with the devil and will eventually get screwed. How big that will be is anyone's guess (and the communist's plan). I avoid chinese products as much as possible, but American greed has made that difficult. It is what it is. I love the QB78 but hate where it's made.

If the guy/gal/boy/girl producing the barrel in question cares about how good it will be, then it will be a better barrel. The means of motivating them to care is always the question.

Cheers,

J~

Assuming you're talking about TM and his original QBs, I paid him $159 for the QB 78 Deluxe that has evolved into this QB/Gauntlet hybrid that shot the groups pictured in my post above.
QB Gauntlet.jpg

After sighting in the $159 QB 78 Deluxe I shot three consecutive three-shot groups at 50 yards from bench-rest. The first measured .30" c-t-c, the second went .40", and the third .50". I was STUNNED! Obviously it still shoots as well.

The most incredible motorcycle I've owned was a Kawasaki Z-1, and the most incredible auto I've owned was a Mazda rotary-powered pickup. The U.S. should not only pursue closer economic ties to Japan, but also encourage adoption of Japanese social morals and principles by Americans. How often have you ever heard anything about crime in Japan? Unfortunately embracing Japan, its quality and morality makes far too much sense to happen. So we have China.

Correct, I'm not beyond hypocrisy.

Yes, that was Tim I mentioned. I used to spend a lot of time (and money) at his shop. I helped him sell more than a few QB77s, but I got the "cool guy" price of $140. ;) He went through a lot to get those original rifles right.

I've spent time on the Z1 and it's a fine machine, but I favor the 5th-gen VFR. It's more comfortable for my older bones.

We have to deal with the reality that is, unfortunately. I'd love to see quality American airguns at reasonable prices.

Cheers,

J~

Speaking of China,

I have a few Chinese Handpumps and they have been phenomenal much better then the 5-6 times more expensive western made ones.

My Boss has a Chinese compressor and it's great and cheap

I have a Chinese electric dirt bike and it's also phenomenal, and I had the little sister for over a year and 7000 miles and was great.

I now have a Chinese airgun that is fantastic.

I don't know but no complains from me about Chineese products.

Reactions: qball and primaz
I have a Chinese electric dirt bike and it's also phenomenal, and I had the little sister for over a year and 7000 miles and was great.

Not (just) to play devil's advocate, but to give credit and criticism where both are due, my first e-bike (Chinese-made Aventon Sinch) died right after I turned over 1,000 (all road) miles-
1710444015959.png

Two Aventon dealers haven't been able to fix it, despite $150 out of my pockets.

Hopefully my second e-bike doesn't die as prematurely.

Without knowing the truth about how a product is made it is only guesswork,fact is the Chinese do have the tools and means to make what you want.You have to tell them,invest in their tooling and give them the quality you want,they make it to your specs and you need to make sure of the quality you want is up to par..Of course us air gunners are talking about air guns and Chinese companies make the guns and parts.Why do people buy Chinese?? To save money! Logic this,to save money you make more of the same thing and make it at the price that product will have no trouble selling at.You bring product you want to be made,and the outcome you want.You are an invester .Look how good some of the Chinese rifle scopes are, the better they are the more they are going to cost you,logic my friend and to think the Chinese can not make it is a wrong way to think,We thought the same thing toward the Japanese didn't we,yet look how they have become a leader of quality...The truth is prejudice.I have it,some of you have it,we want our beloved country the USA to remain tops,funny how the German brand barrels are not thought to us "foreign.Quality,look at Danbury Mint,look at the bottom of it,what does it say?:ROFLMAO:

I’ve said this before and recent experience with a Gauntlet shows it again. The Chinese can, and often do, make good quality products. Some days they just don’t. Fortunately for me I have both film and digital cameras not made in China. My phone, my computers, the I Pad I’m using right now, all Chinese manufactured. Since there’s no way around it I’ve arranged things so that I can get by just fine without those things if need be. I have older domestic products like radio gear and other things less reliant on tech. Not as convenient but that’s okay. My nephews, nieces and their kids might go batcrap crazy though.
Rick H.