• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Chinese Air Compressors

Good evening gentleman,
I'm brand new to this forum so bare with me if i come off as goofy or noobish. But i have recently purchased a Chinese air compressor off of Ebay. I've watched video reviews of the compressors and they were happy with the results.
I was just wanting to get some knowledge on the subject. I figure this forum would be the perfect place that matches Experience and Knowledge.
Thank you gentleman and have a great night

https://www.ebay.com/itm/High-Pressure-110V-30MPa-4500PSI-PCP-Electric-Air-Compressor-Pump-System-US/192429462337?epid=19012763091&hash=item2ccdb09341:g:27gAAOSwWxNYvQs9
9e06b54a6ea24062d6ca0100ab145e6d.jpg

Brian, I think we’re in agreement that a good filter is essential. But we’re going to have to agree to disagree about the cartridge. I have one of the gold Tuxing eBay type filters and it works great. Sandwich the 13x Zeolite between two 1” sections of the cotton tampon that comes with the filter, make sure you get good compression as you screw on the end cap and you’re good to go. “Salting” in a small amount of the color changing silica gel beads is also a good idea for moisture indication. A PMV is certainly not required for Air Gunner use where we almost never fill from below 2000 psi. Not really sure what the cartridge gains you? 

I pulled the pin on one of these myself, on the 29th. $350 AUD.delivered. Estimated arrival, 6-8 Feb. same model as the one pictured. I hope it is as ordered or it will be going back. The Altaros is a bit slow and I've already burned up one drive compressor and had to replace a piston seal after only a year of light use. A second air source should be handy. If everything goes well, I'll post the eBay link for anybody here in Aus. who might be interested.

"Centercut"Brian, I think we’re in agreement that a good filter is essential. But we’re going to have to agree to disagree about the cartridge. I have one of the gold Tuxing eBay type filters and it works great. Sandwich the 13x Zeolite between two 1” sections of the cotton tampon that comes with the filter, make sure you get good compression as you screw on the end cap and you’re good to go. “Salting” in a small amount of the color changing silica gel beads is also a good idea for moisture indication. A PMV is certainly not required for Air Gunner use where we almost never fill from below 2000 psi. Not really sure what the cartridge gains you?
I have been a diver from the time I was in the Navy. In the service I was probably spoiled by the high quality hardware we used. I know dealing with breathing Air is more critical than a Air rifle but we always used a cartridge filter wether it was the best available or some politician made a deal. We never had any failures due to moister getting into our tanks. As important as the filter is the position it’s kept in during use and use of a priority valve to insure Air going through the media is at high pressure the media does not perform as well under 2000 psi without the PMV when you start compressing till pressure builds you don’t get max absorption and when you switch over tanks less time is wasted for pressure to build again. To conclude I will stick with the cartridge filters as I’m not convinced that the other solutions can perform as well. Do other types of filters work. I’m sure they do but nothing I have read about has proven other methods to be superior or as consistent as a cartridge. That may be the reason all of the dive compressors only use cartridge filters.
Today we have rifles that cost over $2000.00 Compressors that cost as much so using a filter cartridge that cost me $30 and lasts up to 6 month is a easy decision.

+1 to Centercut's comments. It makes no sense to buy a $350 compressor and then more than the cost of the compressor for a filter housing and then $40 for cartridges. Buy the gold filter and media that is posted above. I researched independent sources that refute claims of 13X molecular sieve reacting with aluminum. After 10 hours of compressor runtime I examined my gold filter closely and the gold anodized interior was as new and pristine. The tampon section endcaps were dry and only slightly discolored at the entrance hole. The media was dry. It was recharged in an oven just because I had removed it to check for any sign of moisture. The gold filter is built like a tank. Hoses, fittings, and tubing in your $350 compressor will fail long before that filter could fail from moisture. Also, 13X beads are tiny and are no more tightly packed inside an aftermarket plastic cartridge than when you pour them into the 10 inch length inside. Water vapor will not miraculously channel through the tiny input hole, through the beads and out the other end to then collect in your tank. Get the gold filter, change or recharge your sieve every 10 hours of runtime and enjoy your compressor.

Reactions: RedTide
+1 back to Humdinger. To add to that, you can “salt” your 13x Zeolite with less than a teaspoon of color changing silica beads. Cheap on eBay. I use the ones that are orange and turn green when moist. That way when you open up the filter and pour out the beads you can see right away if you need to change or re-charge them. I don’t oven re-charge since they’re cheap and that 3 pound bag will last a very long time. Also, the PMV is not necessary for our intended use. We use the SCBA tanks down to 3000 psi or so and then fill. PMVs are for dive tanks that come in and are filled from empty. 

While I’ll agree using the EBay gold filter will work I’m still not convinced it will work better than the quality cartridge filters that are sold by the major HP compressor distributors. As far as filter price goes I pay less than $30 and they last me using them in the northeast 25-30 hours I figure I need 2 a year. As far as cost goes I don’t look at it $350compressor $400 filter to me it’s $12,000 worth of air rifles that I want to keep healthy. When I shoot my modified Marauder that I have maybe $800 into I may mount a $2000 Scope or a Leapers depending on what Shooting I’m planning on. The filter is just a tool that most of us use I just like to use what makes me more comfortable. 
In reality I wish there was a way someone could do an honest and concise study to see which one of us is doing the best for filtering the Air. My Compressor cost me Around $1800.00 delivered with filter. I have the Carette at the time I bought it I thought it was the best choice for the amount I spent. I never considered the cheap Chinese ones as the reviews were too mixed although I will say that enough people have figured out the tricks to keep them functioning at least till your not in the hole for it. Under different circumstances like when I was just starting out saving that $1000 by going with the $350 compressor would’ve been my only choice.
only time will tell

Ok. I don’t think either I or Humdinger are saying the Tuxing Gold filter is “better” than cartridge filters. We’re saying it functions as necessary to remove moisture from the air were filling into our SCBA tanks. FYI, your AC is a Chinese compressor as is the AV and the new Hatsan. If you don’t want a Chinese compressor you need to crack open that wallet for a Bauer, Coltri or similar. It takes me 15 minutes to top off my 60 minute SCBA tanks from 3000 to 4500 psi. Even when I’m shooting a lot my two cylinder Tuxing only runs 1/2 hour per week. By the way, the two cylinder Tuxing is VERY similar to the AC, AV, and new Hatsan. 

I bought that same compressor, so far so good. It has filled (topped off) my 109 cu ft cf scuba tank (30mins) from 2000psi to 4500psi maybe 10 times so far. I use a 5gal bucket and a bag of ice to keep it cool. I did have to replace the water pump on day 1 with a royobe wet saw pump from home depot was about $10.00 if i remember. It never gets above 45c. I also bought a filter (dryer) the gold one they talk about and it seems to work fine. Hoping it will last a while if not it will be a $250.00 risk i can live with.

Mine arrived today as ordered and only six days from order to door. I give it a quick test to check for leaks. No leaks and builds pressure swiftly. Auto cutout trips at 285-290 bar. After the unit auto stops, I hear a pop and a bit of hissing. I think it may have burst the fuse disk but it's only the pressure valve on the middle-pressure bleed block. From my observations, the instructions to release the pressure before switching off and not starting whilst pressurized is very important if you want these things to last. I like to fill my bottle all the way to 4500 psi but I guess I will have to be satisfied with about 280 bar so that I don't risk it reaching auto stop and doing some sort of damage. I think using premium synthetic oil in this thing is like feeding strawberries to pigs.The things that are going to fail are going to fail no matter what oil you're feeding it. Sonny, I hope my water pump lasts longer than yours. I think I'll pick up a spare just in case.