• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Chicken coop protection.

Hello,

I own a chicken coop and have recently lost a few chickens do to a predator probably a raccoon or a possum. My question is what type of air gun would be best to deal with these type of predators? I have owned a Gamo silent cat in the past in 22 caliber and has done fine on squirrels and birds. I'm wondering if I need to step up to a Benjamin Marauder in 25 or a discovery 22 PCP rifle. I Find PCP rifles to be a lot more accurate with a lot less recoil, but I need something that I can have at the ready when I do spot a predator. I was wondering how long I could keep my PCP pressured up, or how fast I could pressure it up to use it. Would I be better off and getting a Benjamin Trail in 25 caliber break barrel?

The Marauder is an excellent choice in .25 (I have 4). They are pretty quite and with a DonnyFL adapter and silencer are almost silent. I have taken Coyotes at 50 yards with the .25.

Another consideration if you do not already have a Tank or Compressor is the new Seneca Aspen Pump PCP in .22 for around $400. Gun, Scope, rings pellets and your all set for shooting anywhere any time without the hassle of support equipment like with a standard PCP.

My PCP's are all kept at full pressure all the time.

If your range to target is 50 yards or so, the Marauder in .25 would be just fine. Even the Disco in .22 would work if you're careful about shot placement. And leave your gun fully charged with air so that it's ready to go when your chicken thief shows up. Beforehand, set up a small target where you expect that coon to show up and practice practice practice. Finally, when he does show up, you'll have every confidence in your ability to put a clean end to him. Don't wait until he arrives to test your skills and your new gun. Get all of that out of the way FIRST.

Good hunting,

BeemanR7

I would recommend the 25 caliber Marauder in your case for ease of shooting accurately and the power you need to humanely dispatch your quarry. It would be a lot easier to shoot accurtely than the Benjamin Trail. You can leave it filled to 3000psi and not worry about anything and get between 16-24 shots before needing to refill again. Keep it charged to 3000psi ready to shoot so you can just grab it and go. I would also buy 2 extra magazines so you have 3 total to coincide with the number of shots before needing to refill the Marauder. You could just shoot it out of the box without making any adjustments after you mount a scope and in your sitiation a lower magnification scope such as a 2-7x BSA Sweet 22 or Sweet 17 or Barska Mildot AO and if you need an illuminated retile with hold over points for low light or night time shooting get the Monstrum Tactical AO.

Walt

I wouldn't doubt that but I think he wants something reliable 
1f609.svg

Walt

NO issues with mine Walt. Thank you very much !! 😎