Chicken coop defense

Hello all,

I will be building a chicken coop this summer, probably starting next month, and I would like to get a PCP that is adequate for predators up to coyotes. Shots would probably be inside 50 yards as the coop will not be more than that far from the house, and my shooting would be out of an upstairs window with an infrared scope. My nearest neighbor is about 1/4 mile away, but is a grumpy old man who has complained about people in the area shooting during daylight hours, and who thinks hunters are mean. I would want something fairly quiet to not bother him with any night time shooting.

A .25 shooting a heavy projectile with authority would be my first thought, as I already have a few moderators in .25 that should do the job. I am not looking for a premium airgun, although if I could find a Taipan Veteran Long in .25, I would be sorely tempted. A refurbished Seneca Eagle Claw might work well, or an Air Venturi Avenger with some of the inexpensive mods like a power plenum.

My second thought would be to get a big bore, as I know I will want to scratch that itch eventually. If I got a 45, something that could be turned down to shoot a lighter slug at lower energy, it certainly would do the job on anything trying to get into the coop. I could justify spending more on something in a big bore that I could take big game hunting. The Western Bush Buck/Pig looks interesting as it has the low power cocking option. The Airforce Texan also has some tunability, but not sure how much, to shoot with lower energy. I am guessing the noise will be much more substantial with one of these, even with a good mod.

Anyone have thoughts/experience on a higher FPE .25 for coyotes?
Anyone have experience using a .45 at lower FPE for racoons, foxes, and coyotes, and are they still pretty loud even at lower FPE and moderated?
Is there a strong case to be made for going to a 30 or 35, maybe a Gauntlet?

Have a good one,
-pg

Reactions: maxtrouble
A .25 will take out a coyote, they have thin skulls. At 100 yards with a 33.9 gr. Diablos at 900f/s you've got about 60ft/lb, that'll put the hurt on something. I've never had luck with slugs so I've exit'd that branch of the rabbit hole. Oh just in case you don't know, bury a few layers of wire/fencing under ground about a foot and on top of course.

Last edited:
I raised chickens on our farm until after I graduated from college. I loved them critters. My first suggestion is to build a robust coop, with robust wire retention. Keeping the chickens in, and the critters out is a win. After that, I must say I used a 22 marlin rifle to dispatch rats n such that were harassing our chickens. I would think a quality 22 or 25 air rifle would also fit the bill.

If you have coop plans and can share, I would be interested. My wife wants chickens and I like raising them.

Building the coop to be as predator proof as I can will be my primary defense, but they can be destructive trying to get in, even if they don’t succeed.

Will a .25 with 60-70fps be able to do a double pass through on a coyote if I take a heart/lung shot? Since this won’t be sport hunting, I would like to be able to take more a boilermaker shot if it presents itself. Think the 25 would have enough oomph? I am thinking maybe I should look at a .357; “Bring enough gun”

If you're planning on raising chickens for the eggs thinking it'll be cheaper than store bought... it ain't. Not worth the time and investment. I've been doing it 7 years and I rarely get eggs from any hen over about 4 or 5 year old.

That aside, if you just want the experience of doing it, it is rewarding. Theyre very entertaining in their early years. I loved tossing them a cherry tomato and watch them play chicken rugby!

As for protection, definitely bury the chicken wire deep so coons and yotes can't dig. Make sure the coop walls are robust, a family of coons can rip the roof off will ease if they figure out they can all push/Pull at once. They will figure that out too.

A 25 cal pushing 50-70 fpe at the muzzle should drop a yote at 50 yards with a head shot, doubtful on the vitals. It would probably run off and die. If you're fine with that, blast away. Coons? I've taken them with 40 fpe 25s and also had them run off from the same gun. Dropped them with 22s doing 25 fpe, and had them run off from a 32 fpe 20 yard shot. Shot placement is very critical on a coon skull. Good luck!

For boiler room shots on coyotes or coons this should get the job done nicely, but too loud for your neighbor. I would suggest brain shots only and smaller projectile 0.25 to .30 at less than 900 fps to stay under the radar.

Last edited:
In my opinion the best thing is a hot wire around the coup at a height it will discourage skunks, coons, coyote. It can be really simple such as a pic pipe in the ground with a single wire thru it. On a airgun choice for dispatching predators in pursuit I can't imagine getting time for a perfect placed shot. But if a predator is trying to invade my coop. I would take a shot even if it is not optimal. But in the past ten years I haven't had an intruder with the wire hot at night

I have a coop at 75y and have nailed many rats and coons with a Leshiy classic shooting 177 slugs with either NV or thermal. A tiny ice pick in the fuse box will do the job every time. However, if I went for a more conventional approach, I’d use my Wildcat compact 30. Mine is the BT version but the tube version is more than adequate and will sling 44 grain pellets at 70-75fpe. They can be had for 1100 if you look around and are very accurate and quiet with a mod. I wouldn’t get into the big bore stuff for this application and I’d strongly advocate for a platform that allows for a quick follow up (or three).

For all my chicken coop protection a .22 airgun has been all I've needed. That said, once I deal with one predator, another predator type arrives. I have my rats, raccoons, eagles and hawks under control. But this summer a young raven has taken a liking to having a chicken egg for breakfast, every day.

If the raven is in or near the coop, as soon as I take a step outside, it's gone. So legalities aside (I don't think we can shoot ravens in my locale) I wouldn't be able to shoot it, even if I wanted to. Our chickens are fairly strong-headed and have traditionally ganged-up to attack any bird of prey going after their fellow hens. But they don't seem to notice a raven stealing their eggs. That said, every once and a while a chicken will notice the raven thief, and go after it. I haven't seen how the raven does it, but it makes pretty quick work of a single chicken. Doesn't eat them or cause any obvious damage. I'm guessing they strangle them.

Building the coop to be as predator proof as I can will be my primary defense, but they can be destructive trying to get in, even if they don’t succeed.

Will a .25 with 60-70fps be able to do a double pass through on a coyote if I take a heart/lung shot? Since this won’t be sport hunting, I would like to be able to take more a boilermaker shot if it presents itself. Think the 25 would have enough oomph? I am thinking maybe I should look at a .357; “Bring enough gun”
At 50 yards, I think you'll be okay at 60fpe. But, using a .30cal at 90fpe using Hybrid Slugs will drop a yote dead with a full passthrough heart/lung shot. I currently have an FX Maverick VP .30cal, and although I never dropped a yote with it, I'm pretty sure putting a Hybrid in it's chest would be game over. The Umarex Gauntlet 2 .30cal will fit the bill nicely on the cheap.

Take a look at this video of me taking a groundhog taken at 66 yards (the 44 yards stated in the video was incorrect) with the Maverick shooting .30cal FX Hybrid Slugs making a full passthrough. Look at the slug expansion!

20221017_145719 (1).jpg

20221017_145622 (1).jpg

Last edited:
A .25 Condor SS or even the TalonP will suit your needs very well. The TalonP is actually reduced right now at PA and is a pretty good deal. Quick and easy to pump up and compact as can be.
The Texan might be a little more than you are wanting to use for chicken house guard duty, it’s not backyard friendly, even in the SS version and with that much lead moving at high speed it could be difficult to get safe shots at night time critters if you don’t have a good backstop.

There’s photo of the TalonP I bought my wife recently that she’s using around the place to shoot snakes and coons and such. Plenty powerful and lightweight. She loves it and is excited to grab it whenever she sees a critter that doesn’t belong around our place. I put an Odin 2000 lumen light up front using a full length picatinny rail and you get a perfect sight picture through the scope at night.
D61827D6-8F9C-4352-8890-06096A3B4C0D.jpeg

I like hers so much that I’m tempted to buy another one since they are on sale at a good discount right now.