Check out the L-tech retracting probe by Kraford & Lypt

Firstly, I can't fault anyone for theorizing as our efforts have been in production instead of marketing/videos and whatnot.
BUT to address the value proposition let's make sure we are taking in all factors. If you are a person that only cares about 1 arbitrary thing, maybe this isn't for you.

In no particular order:
1. it comes with a more robust KLS-3. So there's $250-377 depending on version. Also take into account it is a more robust kls-3 as it is properly integrated with the rifle and is more stable.
2. comes with a bag rider. Depending on what company you're going with that's $50 or so. Comes with one out of the box.
3. Pin probes and carved out pellet probes are not good for every projectile. For example you cannot seat a pellet as deep with a pin probe as you can with a pellet probe, you cant seat a slug with a boat tail as deep as with a pin probe. This isn't absolute, but the geometry of the back of the projectile matters when selecting your probe. The flat surface of the L-tech probe can consistently seat any geometry. You also have the ability to custom shape the profile of the tip to match exactly with the projectile insuring a skirt isn't disformed while sliding through the mag.
4. full retraction of the probe opens up for more air flow. With 22 cal we are seeing 20-35fps increases. This allows you to either shoot faster, or conserve air by turning down hammers or reg pressures. DONT MAKE YOUR RIFLE WORK HARDER THAN IT NEEDS TO.
5. More reliability over pin probes. I bend mine all the time. Especially during competitions when it is critical. It is impossible to bend the L-tech probe with how thick it is.

I'm not going to relist everything stated on the product page, so insert that here...

When taking into account the KLS-3, L-tech comes out to be about $200.
Unfortunately the Impact's rear is not really designed to receive an L-tech probe without replacing the 2 side plates. It can be done with the oem side plates, BUT it isn't optimal thus we went with doing it the right way.

Here are some pictures of the probe carrier, notice the box way guide.

View attachment 326625View attachment 326626

In conclusion, it is getting hard to take some of these arguments seriously when there doesn't seem to be too much push back for something like a $250 backbone that yields negligible accuracy gains; but heaven forbid a complex - original - mechanism that can increase FPS and consistency comes out... Quick everyone figure out ways to justify why they don't want to see innovative products come out that actually do something!

I sincerely apologize this product can't be 3d printed or that it wasn't farmed out to some random oversees shop and or that we are enforcing IP.
You bring up a very good point. Since both of my Impacts primary purposes are to kill stuff, bag riders and monopods are not necessary, I’m absolutely interested in the $200 version without all the bench rest fluff. I’m willing to bet a larger portion of slug shooters are hunting with their guns and bench time is just limited to dialing them in. Are there any plans on a simple light weight version of your product in the future? And you don’t have to apologize, there is nothing 3d printed bolted onto any of my guns. My guns have K&L products bolted onto them because they are robust.

Reactions: qball
You bring up a very good point. Since both of my Impacts primary purposes are to kill stuff, bag riders and monopods are not necessary, I’m absolutely interested in the $200 version without all the bench rest fluff. I’m willing to bet a larger portion of slug shooters are hunting with their guns and bench time is just limited to dialing them in. Are there any plans on a simple light weight version of your product in the future? And you don’t have to apologize, there is nothing 3d printed bolted onto any of my guns. My guns have K&L products bolted onto them because they are robust.

I'll 100% agree with you on monopods... This is going to be a galvanizing hot take, but I don't get why people use monos on the bench except to zero...
BUT fully endorse bag riders for hunting. They are magical, grab them, set them on things, push them, very useful in my opinion. Though, if you aren't convinced on the bag rider let me know and I can get you one without it and adjust the price.

Planning on making one that doesn't have the integrated KLS-3, but it will probably still be a bit above $200 as the 2 side plates still need to be replaced and the internals.

Reactions: JoHa and kostas.30
I leave the bag riders on my Impacts in the field because that’s where I mount my detachable sling studs. And that little aluminum strap weighs nothing. Its mainly about watching calories in the field. We manage to turn our guns into porkers with all the things we bolt onto it. On the bench or laying on our bellies from a stationary sniping position, that’s great. But for hunting and trying to maintain a gun that handles great, a bloated gun is a chore. I understand from a business standpoint that producing a retractable probe block that lets users still use the weightless factory butt pad is a risk. I see that the PRS model is the lighter of the two. But nowhere can I find how much weight a factory gun will gain when you bolt it on. It’s obvious you guys tried to keep the weight down but like you said, for those of us who are only looking for one thing, just the advantage of a retractable probe for power, the product is not for us.

The oem setup, oem plates probe and stock pad comes in at around 7.6oz.
The PRS version without the bag rider (bag rider is removable), of L-tech is 16.3oz. You can knock .8oz off if you want to only run 1 stainless guide rod instead of 2. So looking at 8.7oz to 7.9oz more weight. If you are adventurous and have a knee mill or a drill of some sort, you could probably shave off another 1-2oz.

The version possibly soon to come without a butt pad that you can use the oem one on would be 7.5-8.5oz, so basically the same as the oem.

If we are really getting in to the weeds with weight, I'd also like to put this on the table:
I haven't done these tests yet, but because you can turn down your tune and get the same fps as before, you'll get more shots per fill (if you're plenum pressure is lower, you can use more of the air in the tank).
How many more shots? I'll find out, but if you can get 3 or 5 more shots with slugs, and maybe 10-15 shots more with pellets, that might be something to justify the weight increase of ~8oz. Especially if you compare that with carrying around another 480cc bottle which comes in at 18.5oz.
You'll probably still want the lighter version BUT, food for thought.

Reactions: Vetmx
Thanks for the numbers. I see that it’s basically lighter than my stock gun with a KLS 2 mounted on it. Even though I don’t hunt with a KLS because of the weight and it always snagging on something. I’m curious to see some real world numbers on velocity once they get in the hands of consumers. With slugs and a good solid hunting tune, shot count is an afterthought. But I’ll take 30fps if I don’t have to lean on my gun any harder. Thanks again for responding.

The oem setup, oem plates probe and stock pad comes in at around 7.6oz.
The PRS version without the bag rider (bag rider is removable), of L-tech is 16.3oz. You can knock .8oz off if you want to only run 1 stainless guide rod instead of 2. So looking at 8.7oz to 7.9oz more weight. If you are adventurous and have a knee mill or a drill of some sort, you could probably shave off another 1-2oz.

The version possibly soon to come without a butt pad that you can use the oem one on would be 7.5-8.5oz, so basically the same as the oem.

If we are really getting in to the weeds with weight, I'd also like to put this on the table:
I haven't done these tests yet, but because you can turn down your tune and get the same fps as before, you'll get more shots per fill (if you're plenum pressure is lower, you can use more of the air in the tank).
How many more shots? I'll find out, but if you can get 3 or 5 more shots with slugs, and maybe 10-15 shots more with pellets, that might be something to justify the weight increase of ~8oz. Especially if you compare that with carrying around another 480cc bottle which comes in at 18.5oz.
You'll probably still want the lighter version BUT, food for thought.
I can’t tell from your web site if the bag rider is included? Thanks.

Will you make them for the Fx Impact only?
We've invested in patenting the mechanism and intend to integrate it with other platforms as well.
After the Impact, it is a little difficult to pick the next platform to adapt it to as the market is pretty fragmented; but happy to take suggestions.

Reactions: SupremaRatio
Offer it without all this dead weight and I’ll take two of them. I don’t have LOP issues with either of my guns so this KLS stuff is just toting extra baggage. As far as offering it for other platforms, that will take some serious research. No other gun can compete with Impact owners and their constant search for stuff to bolt on or in their guns.

CD138ACE-2E63-4C22-8863-13B73D1DC24B.jpeg

Time to eat my words. Getting ready to head out for some night pesting. Snapped the Pard on the scope and attached my KLS-2 to increase my LOP. As I was carrying it to the door I thought I could lengthen and shorten the gun with ease and only pick up a few ounces when I’m not night hunting. So I ordered one. You taking the time to break down the weight of the thing sold me on it. I saw no mention of a bag rider with the PRS version as I ordered it from Utah. It only said compatible with bag rider. It better come with one for that kind of coin.

Reactions: KrafordAndLypt
Time to eat my words. Getting ready to head out for some night pesting. Snapped the Pard on the scope and attached my KLS-2 to increase my LOP. As I was carrying it to the door I thought I could lengthen and shorten the gun with ease and only pick up a few ounces when I’m not night hunting. So I ordered one. You taking the time to break down the weight of the thing sold me on it. I saw no mention of a bag rider with the PRS version as I ordered it from Utah. It only said compatible with bag rider. It better come with one for that kind of coin.

Yes, while the KLS-2 is robust, it does have the downside of not having quick LOP adjustment. The KLS-3 and L-tech solved the lop inconvenience with the adjustment wheel. An interesting thing about our adjustment rod and wheel is they are made out of 2023 instead of ss or other steels. So very light. At some point when I get the time, I do want to switch the guide rods from SS to a carbon fiber rod; and I'm hoping to make it cross compatible with the current M8 threaded 8mm diameter ss rods for easy swapping.

I can confirm the PRS version does come with the bag rider.

Reactions: Ctkny
What I’m curious about and will find out for sure is with the additional air flow, will I have to counter it with my valve to stay on my slug tune. With the barrel I have on that gun, it might not care. Either way, now I won’t have to worry about attaching something to my gun at night. I’ll just spin a wheel. If I don’t like it, I’ll make someone happy in the classifieds.

Reactions: Nsboost and Ctkny
With the better flow, you will have to choose with your setup to reduce reg pressure, hammer tension or hammer weight or some combination of all of them to go back down to the original fps that makes the most sense.
Another thing to play around with is barrel length. If you get a good efficient tune, you might be able to go from a 700 to a 600mm barrel. The shorter the barrel the better, especially with the less than ideal harmonic properties of the FX barrel system.

I don’t use a FX barrel on the gun this is going on. I’m hoping this will put me a little more comfortably into the lower side of the fps window I need for my twist rate. Right now I’m sitting right on the edge and things are really good. But you know how it is. Does the slug care? Only one way to find out. And I’m done leaning on the gun any harder pressure wise.

Reactions: KrafordAndLypt
Will these be caliber swappable with a new block / probe? If so, what might be the cost for a caliber change kit?

It was alluded to earlier, but it is compatible with the AirMarksman backbone rail?

And what kind of probe adjustments do we have with this system? Seating depth? Retraction depth?

There are 2 parts that need to be replaced for caliber swaps, the primary guide plate/bracket and a section of the probe.
We are going to sell change kits for $95. More pictures of this are coming in the next day or so.

There is no reason it wouldn't work with the backbone. The mounting holes are the same for the backbone and oem bracket.

You will have to move the cocking rod out a bit. About 2 or 3 turns, and micro adjustment on the other side to get it timed nicely.
It hasn't taken me more than 5 min or so to get it set up.

There are 2 parts that need to be replaced for caliber swaps, the primary guide plate/bracket and a section of the probe.
We are going to sell change kits for $95. More pictures of this are coming in the next day or so.

There is no reason it wouldn't work with the backbone. The mounting holes are the same for the backbone and oem bracket.

You will have to move the cocking rod out a bit. About 2 or 3 turns, and micro adjustment on the other side to get it timed nicely.
It hasn't taken me more than 5 min or so to get it set up.
That sounds perfect, thank you! Caliber change is a big deal, great to hear!