Cheap NV

Want to set up the XS for some ratting, relatively close range, but I have no clue about the subject, other than that I don’t want to get crazy with anything over say $400. (I did say cheap)

Anyone have experience with some of the stuff listed on Aammazon, especially these three...

Triton StarStrike 3-18x 50 (Seems like a relative newcomer)
Pard NV007V (attaches to scope)
NightOwl NightShot

Any advice/commentar/critique welcome, thanks in advance for taking time to respond 👍

no experience with everything obviously, but have been on the nv wave for a few months .. the pard clipons are a solid budget choice .. get the 12mm lens ones and use on a compact scope with adjustable parallax for best results .. the builtin illuminator is fine for airguns, good to 150+
I’m thinking of using a bugbuster with something like that.

Looks like some experimentation is in order...

Want to set up the XS for some ratting, relatively close range, but I have no clue about the subject, other than that I don’t want to get crazy with anything over say $400. (I did say cheap)

Anyone have experience with some of the stuff listed on Aammazon, especially these three...

NightOwl NightShot

Any advice/commentar/critique welcome, thanks in advance for taking time to respond 👍
Depending on your ratting situation, a red light attached to your current scope can be quite effective… I killed hundreds of rats with just such a setup… Proof of concept…

IMG_0251.jpeg

IMG_0213.jpeg

IMG_0215.jpeg

I tried out the Triton Starstrike from Amazon this past Monday. The price was good so I took a punt. It was hideous. IR light wouldn’t come on after installing a battery. It wouldn’t focus properly, and trying to adjust the reticle with the control buttons in any direction did not work. The text in the viewfinder was unreadable without my reading glasses. I packed it back up and returned it on Tuesday. As always, YMMV…

Forgot to mention, as L.Leon said I’ve also used just a light attached on the gun. I got an adjustable green light That goes from flood to laser. Doesn’t spook the rats much, but I like to record during night hunts these days. I have a Sightmark Wraith HD. Heavy and doesn’t record sound, but using the function button in the dark is easy for me.

NightOwl NightShot

I've had and used the Night Owl for years now. Under $400 and works great for up to 50-60 yards. I also had the Pard NV007 and liked the Night Owl much better...

IMG_1840.jpeg

Night Owl on .22 Cricket mini Carbine

IMG_1839.jpeg

Last edited:
I have the Pard NV007V 12mm and 940nm illuminator combined with a Hawke 2-7x32 AO AMX and with my RTI Priest2 4,5/.177 <5.5ftlbs/7,5J it's my ratting machine. It's great from7 to 35 yards, has over 350 shots per fill @4500psi and for an all night usage(about 6 hours) I bring with me 3/4 2600mAh batteries. I do like because it's solid and well made for the price, easy to use and to clip on and off(with other 2 adapter I swap on different rifles).

IMG_20231227_175501_083.jpg

IMG_20231230_115210_120 (1).jpg

Reactions: TerryE1
I have the Pard NV007V 12mm and 940nm illuminator combined with a Hawke 2-7x32 AO AMX and with my RTI Priest2 4,5/.177 <5.5ftlbs/7,5J it's my ratting machine. It's great from7 to 35 yards, has over 350 shots per fill @4500psi and for an all night usage(about 6 hours) I bring with me 3/4 2600mAh batteries. I do like because it's solid and well made for the price, easy to use and to clip on and off(with other 2 adapter I swap on different rifles).

View attachment 431437

View attachment 431440
Wow, that’s sweet, I’m sure it’s pretty quiet too...

I’d go with a Pard DS35. They are $360 right now.

I use a NV008S, they are currently $420. I did the clip on for some time. I prefer a dedicated optic and rifle for my night pesting.

IMG_1530.jpeg