• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Cheap metal options for shooting?

Where I live we have a metal scrap yard where you can buy all kinds of recycled/remnant metal pieces. You pay by the pound and it is very inexpensive. I love to play and make new targets and gongs. In fact I’m going to make a post sometime soon showing how I made my own KYL target spinners. I’ve found that 1/8th” steel holds up well to at least 50 FPE so far.

Kenny

I had rifle targets made from hardened steel. The wife works at our community college and is good friends with the welding/machining instructors. They ordered me up a 10'x3' piece of steel and I gave them the dimensions of what I wanted. The kids cut the pieces out for class experience. I paid half of what I would have for the steel if I would have ordered direct from a steel yard. .22 steel targets should be good enough and in that quantity, they might offer a discount if you shop pre-made.

Thanks folks for the suggestion! I will give some scrap yards a call to see what they have. Skip-in-WV, thanks for the link but unfortunately I need squares. I looked into eBay, but was having a heck of time trying to filter or type the correct phrase for what I was looking for. I will use that link at least to hunt for squares. Thanks. Joedirt199, I don't know anyone that works at the colleges. Is someone able to call their fabricating dept and place orders? Or is that a "who you know" sort of thing?

If you want square pieces buy 1/4"x 2" FLAT BAR , have a school metal shop cut the pieces for you . Flat bar is cheaper & easier to use for your purpose, a fab shop can also shear it at less cost than steel plate . I've used thick steel washers for spinners & welded the centers to the flat bar but your talking round then . If no welding skills you can bolt them .

this is my 'window shooting range' lol, .. what i use is scraps i have from 1 1/2" aluminum angle .. its 1/8" thick .. pieces are about 1 1/2" long .. i pop them with the bulldog they bend up but i got 50 of them lol, smaller calibers dent them alittle but not much ... theyre satisfying as anything else to shoot theyre just sitting on top and really go flying with a square shot and i placed them on 3/4" pieces of pvc pipe i tapped into the ground with a mallet at 10 yard intervals .. the last one is 50y, the gate is 55 .. if you look closeyou can see the tape i use to hang dip cans on the gate, yeah i popped the gate once with the bulldog got to paint that lol ... anyway im sure you could get a 8' stick of angle at lowes or something and dice it up .. cheap, works for me anyway .. havent graduated to the posts on the other side of the street yet, those are like 90y or something ..

CIMG1986.1628207645.JPG

Look around your area for a sheetmetal stamping company, they are all over the country. The slugs or blanks left over from the dies cutting the sheetmetal parts are scrap and sold for scrap. Many times if you enquire within the facility they will give you a coffee can or two of their slugs just to be neighborly. Having worked at numerous shops over the years, it was often someone came in looking for small quanities of scrap, different sizes and shapes and we generally gave them a big coffee can full. I used to furnish the round paddles for many field target makers in the michigan area as my shop had thousands that were thrown away or sold to scrap yards.