• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

cheap easy pellet trap

Was cleaning the lead out of my pellet trap and thought I'd pass this along. If there is a water pump or well driller around you they are always replacing old pressure tanks. You've all seen them. Most are blue. They generally pack them back to their shops and they just pile up. Most of the time they will be happy to just give them to you to get rid of them. You can find them 30X60 inches to the size of a 5 gallon bucket. I cut a window out of the front. There will be a rubber bladder inside. Take a knife and cut it out. Take the window piece you cut out, turn it around and put it inside and screw it to the back to double the thickness of the metal. Any truck repair shop will have old mud flaps and you can screw one on with the back piece if you want. I then drill a couple of holes in the top to run a rod across and hang an old piece of carpet. That stops the ricochets from coming back out. The ways to hang your target are endless, but I cut a piece of 2 inch blue foam from the box stores that fits the hole and pin or screw my target to it. You can also run a rod across the front with spinners. I've been shooting the same carpet and foam for a year. need to replace it now. I've shot thousands of rounds from my Boss with no problem. The really nice thing is it contains your led and you can just scoop it up off the bottom to recover it. 

That pressure tank trap certainly does look bullet proof! ;) I would imagine w/a steel body it would stop pretty much anything.

Here's a design I use based on some other's ideas using rubber mulch as a stop medium. It works well for me and I've seen a video of someone shooting a .45 PCP into a similar trap at an outdoor range to test and it caught it fine. I use mine for springers both .177 and .22 at 20 yards for indoor and will use it indoors for chrony testing when I get my chrony next week.