• *Effective 3/27/2024 - The discussion of the creation, fabrication, or modification of airgun moderators is prohibited. The discussion of any "adapters" used to convert an airgun moderator to a firearm silencer will result in immediate termination of the account.*
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Chaszel Barrel liner .224x12 Twist for Airforce Condor😀😀

I been wanting a fast twist slug barrel for my Airforce Condor.. Been watching several different barrel liner manufacturers and green Mountain barrels too... I have a lathe but I really didn't want to turn down a 1.00 plus barrel. I wanted atleast 28 inches... So Chaszel .224 barrel liner at 28 inch long and .386 diameter 12 twist was $68.00 plus shipping... I'm going to sleeve the barrel full length with a 10 mm I'd and 12mm od carbon fiber sleeve....Thread the barrel and get a 3/8-24to 1\2-20 thread adapter.... Then sleeve barrel again with full 1 inch carbon fiber sleeve to barrel bushings and tension.... I'm hoping the 12 twist will work out...I'm wanting 1050 fps with hopefully 45 to 60 grain slugs.. I will hand lap.the barrel liner.... I bought this liner because of the price,length, and twist rate....Will let you now how it works out....

I been wanting a fast twist slug barrel for my Airforce Condor.. Been watching several different barrel liner manufacturers and green Mountain barrels too... I have a lathe but I really didn't want to turn down a 1.00 plus barrel. I wanted atleast 28 inches... So Chaszel .224 barrel liner at 28 inch long and .386 diameter 12 twist was $68.00 plus shipping... I'm going to sleeve the barrel full length with a 10 mm I'd and 12mm od carbon fiber sleeve....Thread the barrel and get a 3/8-24to 1\2-20 thread adapter.... Then sleeve barrel again with full 1 inch carbon fiber sleeve to barrel bushings and tension.... I'm hoping the 12 twist will work out...I'm wanting 1050 fps with hopefully 45 to 60 grain slugs.. I will hand lap.the barrel liner.... I bought this liner because of the price,length, and twist rate....Will let you now how it works out....
It seems like 1 in 12" is really fast. Have you had problems with your existing barrel that pushed you towards a faster twist?

I have barrel projects in the works too. Two GM barrels, 30"L .51cal 48 twist for my challenger elite, and a 27"L .357 20 twist for my hp ss max. I'm experimenting with a tight diameter leade to see if it helps accuracy. Also trying to order a few TJ liners... they seem really busy so idk when those will arrive. If/when I get them I'll be putting longer (28"ish) barrels on my avengex 25 and my SF25. Probably carbon fiber sleeves too.

Reactions: RM.510bigbore
Yes a 1-12 is a lol fast twist... I'm wanting to cast .224 slugs ..The long range 22 or crowd has expiermented with 12 twist and 40 grain slugs for ELR......At long range works same as 16 twist...The lightest slug I'd like is probably a Arsenal molds .225 45 grain ...I'm run the twist rate calculator and a 12 twist was said to be stable with a 60 grain . There is a NOE 51 grain mold with BC of .2 something... I'm not into my stock choked pellet barrel......The green Mountain barrels seem pretty good...KIDD 22 lr barrels are Green Mountain barrels that are hand lapped.. If you can hand lap those GM barrels I'm sure they will all be shooters... As far as cutting lead I'm just using my .224 Throater...Good enough for BR powder burners.....

Yes a 1-12 is a lol fast twist... I'm wanting to cast .224 slugs ..The long range 22 or crowd has expiermented with 12 twist and 40 grain slugs for ELR......At long range works same as 16 twist...The lightest slug I'd like is probably a Arsenal molds .225 45 grain ...I'm run the twist rate calculator and a 12 twist was said to be stable with a 60 grain . There is a NOE 51 grain mold with BC of .2 something... I'm not into my stock choked pellet barrel......The green Mountain barrels seem pretty good...KIDD 22 lr barrels are Green Mountain barrels that are hand lapped.. If you can hand lap those GM barrels I'm sure they will all be shooters... As far as cutting lead I'm just using my .224 Throater...Good enough for BR powder burners.....
What's a "throater"? A reamer of some kind? I'm not familiar with PB related stuff. I've been using a boring bars for the ID work.

I bit the bullet and finally bought a bigger CNC lathe. Not specifically for airgun stuff... but being able to turn down barrels was a bonus. I just finished a 27" 357 barrel yesterday so the previous barrel will be a test dummy for my first try at lapping.

Reactions: RM.510bigbore
Yes just go to PTG or Dave Manson reamers..Yes throating reamers are made with or without floating bushings of every single caliber made..So for a airgun it just cuts.the lead or throat for the slug...For powder burners they are used to make a throat longer,,,example your reamer has a short throat and you need it longer for high BC slugs... So it's super simple and easy basic tooling been around forever. You can rent them at Reamerrentals.to if you don't want to buy...They usually run $80 to $120.00 new...Pacific Tool and Gauge is a good company that makes them...

Reactions: caliusoptimus
I have a jet 13x40 lathe..It's good for most all.threading and reaming I need...But........Turning down a barrel takes hours.... Slow....That's the reason I bought a barrel liner instead of regular barrel...Stepping out of my comfort zone.lol. Practice hand lead lapping.on your old barrel. Heat lead in a small ladle.and pour directly in barrel...Use.regular valve.lapping. compound start at120grit,220 git, 320grit...Here to help😀

I have a jet 13x40 lathe..It's good for most all.threading and reaming I need...But........Turning down a barrel takes hours.... Slow....That's the reason I bought a barrel liner instead of regular barrel...Stepping out of my comfort zone.lol. Practice hand lead lapping.on your old barrel. Heat lead in a small ladle.and pour directly in barrel...Use.regular valve.lapping. compound start at120grit,220 git, 320grit...Here to help😀
Dont forget to add a rod and a stop on the rod for the lead so it doesnt just run down the bore. Essentially you are making a slug around a rod. You push the slug partially out of the barrel so its exposed to add lapping compound. The slug is pushed down the barrel lapping it.

It's simple. I'm sure your a better machinest than me. Check you tube there's some good videos on lead lapping. I just use my cleaning rod brass end patch jig with some tape around the rod to prevent lead going down the barrel. I don't push the lap out of barrel..I put the valve lapping compound at end of barrel and blow the with air. There's a butch of different ways to hand lead lap that will be successful. Old technology but still very important today.. I listened to a podcast from Eric Cortina and Brux barrels were they went into detail... I listened and repeated and yes good results like the custom barrel manufacturers. I worked at Shaw Barrels in Bridgeville Pa..I made plenty of barrels.on WW1 machinery.... Pratt and Whitley deep hole drilling maxhines..Than reamed...than rifled... For lead lapping biggest thing is you need 120 grit to start with to actually remove machining marks left by reamer. You can.feel any tight or.rough spots and work.them out.. I sometimes.pour 3-5 new lead laps.in.the process...

I received my Chaszel barrel yesterday... Fast shipping good packaging.... It's interior bore was exactly as I would expect from.a.normal production grade barrel....on par with green Mountain or ER Shaw barrels.. It was crowned and chambered for LR...I'm just going to.cut off the 22lr chamber and use its throat..Only loose.under half.inch of.barrel.. So.will get 27.5 inch finished length 12 twist....It was supposed to be .224 diameter but it is..222 diameter.... That is fine...I just have to buy my cast molds.and sizeing dies accordingly... It had a little chatter in rifling at.both ends, nothing horrible... I hand lead lapped.for 3 hours last night.......120grit,,,220grit,,and 320 to.finish..... The Chaszel $68.00 22 barrel blank looks and feels.like a Krieger or Benchmark barrel...Waiting on 10mm to 12 mm Carbon fiber 1000 mm tube to fully sleeve barrel liner in...

I received my Chaszel barrel yesterday... Fast shipping good packaging.... It's interior bore was exactly as I would expect from.a.normal production grade barrel....on par with green Mountain or ER Shaw barrels.. It was crowned and chambered for LR...I'm just going to.cut off the 22lr chamber and use its throat..Only loose.under half.inch of.barrel.. So.will get 27.5 inch finished length 12 twist....It was supposed to be .224 diameter but it is..222 diameter.... That is fine...I just have to buy my cast molds.and sizeing dies accordingly... It had a little chatter in rifling at.both ends, nothing horrible... I hand lead lapped.for 3 hours last night.......120grit,,,220grit,,and 320 to.finish..... The Chaszel $68.00 22 barrel blank looks and feels.like a Krieger or Benchmark barrel...Waiting on 10mm to 12 mm Carbon fiber 1000 mm tube to fully sleeve barrel liner in...
After all that lapping how much did the size change?

After all that lapping how much did the size change?
It really didn't.. I measured the first poured lap it was .222 . When I finished it was still at .222. It was supposed to be .224 but most 22lr barrels are .222.. It takes a heavy grit to remover the reamer marks left on the rifeling... It was tight at both ends ...I lap until the whole barrel is uniform... It's like baking bread so simple...but technique and feel..

Reactions: Dairyboy
Not fast at all, I have two .22's rebarreled with 1 in 12 match barrel, both I only shoot subsonic suppressed in, one a 11+ inch pistol, one 16.5 inch rifle. With the exception of one american eagle load that is horrible beyond belief, I've tried a dozen or more subsonic rounds 40-45 gr in both before and after rebarrel. All but the american eagle load showed improvement both near(55 yards) and far(110) yards. The CCI quiet 22 stuff that motors along at 700 fps can't hit the broad side of a barn at 50 yards with 90+++% of all 22 rifles out there, the 12 twist improved it some, but going from 8-9+ inch groups at 55 yards to 6+ inch groups is really meaningless, it still sucks balls.

Probably the best commercially available 22 rifle used for long range shooting uses a 9 twist, subsonic, and results in greatly increased BC at longer ranges, proven at a range with real commercial radar, not anything anyone but a millionaire could afford, and then only if the FCC license can be approved for a non-commercial entity(I have no clue if it can). The vudoo's with 9 twist basically dominate everything else 200 yards and beyond.

Not fast at all, I have two .22's rebarreled with 1 in 12 match barrel, both I only shoot subsonic suppressed in, one a 11+ inch pistol, one 16.5 inch rifle. With the exception of one american eagle load that is horrible beyond belief, I've tried a dozen or more subsonic rounds 40-45 gr in both before and after rebarrel. All but the american eagle load showed improvement both near(55 yards) and far(110) yards. The CCI quiet 22 stuff that motors along at 700 fps can't hit the broad side of a barn at 50 yards with 90+++% of all 22 rifles out there, the 12 twist improved it some, but going from 8-9+ inch groups at 55 yards to 6+ inch groups is really meaningless, it still sucks balls.

Probably the best commercially available 22 rifle used for long range shooting uses a 9 twist, subsonic, and results in greatly increased BC at longer ranges, proven at a range with real commercial radar, not anything anyone but a millionaire could afford, and then only if the FCC license can be approved for a non-commercial entity(I have no clue if it can). The vudoo's with 9 twist basically dominate everything else 200 yards and beyond.
You are wise beyond your years friend.... I was going to.get a Redman .223 barrel liner in 9 twist...I hopefully will have many different liners.for.my condor PA hunting rig...The Redman and Chaszl barrel liners are reasonably priced😀. I'm hoping for 1050 fps.with 40 grain.to 45 grain...I have.to buy molds and sizeing equipment next.....Swage better but funds only permitting casting.. I have a 300 bar valve and heavy spring with 90 gram hammer😀..Hopefully.finish the little bit of lathe work Tomm😀😀😀

17161610681862242161961598494973.jpg

17161611415638742916703312216971.jpg

Reactions: shambozzie
Just wondering if you have put some rounds through it yet.

And side question. Does the lapping process often give noticeable improvement?
Haven't got the lathe work.done yet...Hopefully on Sunday ....I just ordered a Arsenal molds 45 grain spire point powder. Coat ..You can customize diameters.... I.got a .223 mold...my bore is a tight .222.. So I will size to .222 and .221. Yes lapping improves rough barrels dramatically... A rough barrel may shoot say 3-20 rounds and fouling causes accuracy degradation.. You clean accuracy comes back. A good smooth barrel won't lead.or copper up and is much more predictable.. All the barrels.for ELR or benchrest,ECT are usually premium lapped.barrels. Examples Krieger Hart s Benchmark Broughton... Probably 2-3 weeks till I get my mold and sizeing dies..Will post my results good or bad... In short if you have the money buy a premium barrel and never look back.. Prices on.custom barrels is no longer within my reach...

Reactions: Ydunn.223