Diana Chaser Pistol Accuracy

Chaser pistols--just wondering what kind of "typical" accuracy folks are getting? With the .22 cal pistol barrel and a red-dot for sighting, mine is not looking too good to me. At 50ft, the groups are running maybe 1.5" or so rested from a bench. Sometimes there is a cluster where two or more shots are touching, but more often than not just a plain old "sloppy" group. I'm using 11.9gr Tournament branded (RWS "Hobby?") pellets. Have not tried any others as yet. Maybe my technique sucks with the Chaser, I dunno... One thing I did notice is the pellets chamber a bit hard, "hanging up" a bit more than I would have thought when pushing the bolt home (mainly when they just "start in") and then they finally chamber. Some pellets load a bit easier than others, but all exhibit some resistance as opposed to sliding into the barrel smoothly. I'm loading using the single shot tray. Any and all suggestions to improve the accuracy would be welcome. Maybe the chamber entry needs attention? I realize a red dot is not the best aiming device when checking for accuracy, I guess I could mount up a scope just to confirm. Right now I'm using a Sig Romeo5 mounted up with the UTG 11mm adapter.

50 feet with a Red Dot 1.5 inches isn't bad
Red Dot sights are a very imprecise sight at best
now every Chase barrel i have and it is many need to be smoothed out at the breech end and can be done with a drill and some rubber abrasive cones made for a Demel tool
https://www.amazon.com/dremel-rubber-polishing-bits/s?k=dremel+rubber+polishing+bits

now the crown end can be checked with and swab and also corrected if need with the same cones

Buck Rail grip frame is first class
deep in the Chaser rabbit hole i own 6
SAM_0557.JPG
SAM_0628.JPG
SAM_0714.JPG
SAM_0491.JPG

Reactions: boscoebrea
Well it's good to hear that you feel 1.5" @ 50 ft isn't too bad. I agree about the dot being imprecise, especially since my astigmatism makes the dot on the Romeo 5 look a little funky. I try to use the same "area" of the dot (I see like maybe 3 tiny dots clustered together, I pick the brightest dot and use that one:rolleyes:) when aiming. I should also mention that I'm using the factory Diana suppressor on the pistol barrel (picked up a spare Diana suppressor), perhaps it will shoot tighter groups with the suppressor removed? I'll probably try that today, and maybe a few different pellets as well. I just thought the lightest (11.9 Hobbies) would be best due to the limited power available in the Chaser. I have some Crosman 14.3's and some H&N's about the same weight. After this I will try smoothing the barrel chamber entry with a rubber abrasive cone as has been suggested, and then lather, rinse, repeat the accuracy tests. So much testing, so little time...:):). Did I mention these Chasers can be addictive? Oh wait, I think maybe Marflow777 already KNOWS that:LOL::LOL:

If you are considering any work on the barrel here is a great post by @nervoustrig .

Hope this helps
Edward

These guns, in my experience, tend to have very accurate barrels. My pp800 .25 cal will stack pellets at 30 yards. But it only likes JSB kings. I've tried hades and they were awful, and bejamin .25 pellets, awful, too. Have 9 and 15" barrels for it, and both are lasers.

Oh, another word of advice, there is a mold line up the center of the front sight/muzzle. This tends to make the factory mods not sit straight. Both of mine I have hand leveled them with a file and some patience, checking to be sure the mod will repeatedly sit square. Some clip, even if it doesn't visably clip, if it's not straight enough, can still affect accuracy negatively.

No other way I'd be able to put such a long mod on it with a tight bore unless it was sitting almost dead straight.
314202776_1511524812652444_6941206783415321586_n_edited.jpg

306893223_10160033716954034_976001416746414168_n.jpg

If you are considering any work on the barrel here is a great post by @nervoustrig .

Hope this helps
Edward
Ed, thanks for pointing me to this article. VERY informative!

Reactions: SilentSquirrel
These guns, in my experience, tend to have very accurate barrels. My pp800 .25 cal will stack pellets at 30 yards. But it only likes JSB kings. I've tried hades and they were awful, and bejamin .25 pellets, awful, too. Have 9 and 15" barrels for it, and both are lasers.

Oh, another word of advice, there is a mold line up the center of the front sight/muzzle. This tends to make the factory mods not sit straight. Both of mine I have hand leveled them with a file and some patience, checking to be sure the mod will repeatedly sit square. Some clip, even if it doesn't visably clip, if it's not straight enough, can still affect accuracy negatively.

No other way I'd be able to put such a long mod on it with a tight bore unless it was sitting almost dead straight.View attachment 450253
View attachment 450256
LGD---Please TELL us about that buttstock on your Chaser rifle! Looks pretty custom for sure! Also, I like the way you mounted your red dot on your PP800. Keeps the receiver area nice and clear for loading.

LGD---Please TELL us about that buttstock on your Chaser rifle! Looks pretty custom for sure! Also, I like the way you mounted your red dot on your PP800. Keeps the receiver area nice and clear for loading.
The stock has add-ons made by Bob Pattenden in the UK. They are not illegal to export, but he refused to ship them out of the country due to it being somewhat of a legal Grey area. I did manage to find a buying/shipping service to buy the parts for me from his ebay site, and then ship them. I since tried to have the same company buy a scope lense filter, and they canceled the order. Which seems absurd, but I think they got stricter on what they will and won't purchase.

Thanks for the compliment. I think i used a stormrider barrel band. That gun also has a Cothran valve I managed to fit to it. Gets approx. 2 shots per fill, is comically loud, honestly deafening. Still dead nuts accurate, and 50fpe from short barrel.