Diana Chaser Combo--How to Remove Moderator?

CBKidd

Mar 6, 2024
Regarding the Chaser RIFLE barrel that comes in the Chaser pistol/rifle kit, is there a fool proof way (read--NO damage) to remove the moderator from the rifle barrel? I assume you can then use it on the Chaser pistol barrel since it is already threaded as well? I would like to be able to swap it back and forth depending on what barrel is being currently used. MAN, that pistol barrel is really LOUD!! I'm thinking that the rifle moderator, installed on the pistol barrel should tame it down a bit. Any and all advice/techniques to get that moderator off the rifle barrel undamaged will be welcome. Photos if you have any of the removal process.

It is threaded on with locktite compound.

Heat the modulator by boiling it (no poop) or heating it with a hair dryer or heat gun.

When it is hot, use some sort of grasping tools on both the modulator and (separately) the mid-barrel. Then twist the moderator off. I have heard of using cotton rags or pot-holders, but a pair of strap-wrenches is sure to do the job. Or pliers with wooden protectors for the barrel.

A lot simpler to buy a cheap 3-D printed modulator from Buck Rail.

i have taken of several and one just unscrewed but they can be a bear to get off
a vise is a nice tool to have and soft jaws on the vice
the barrel should be off the gun and that is how it comes anyway
now your first thought is not to push on the front sight but they are way stronger than you think
soft jaw pliers will also help
and heat the crap out of it, the blue Loctite is just like plastic
without a vice it will be very hard and i have always twisted the barrel off the mod that is in the vice but that is me

Reactions: Long_Gun_Dallas
Guys, thanks for the tips on getting the moderator off. I'm still pissing around with it, I guess I didn't get it HOT enough! I'll regroup, and after I get my courage level up, try again later:). I was heating right around where the cone-shaped area blends to the straight portion of the moderator. Is that ok, or do I need to heat the entire moderator up? At any rate, I guess I'll have to heat the SNOT out of it regardless... as it seems being a little conservative with the heat gun is no bueno in this case. As an aside to all this moderator/removal/heating and so forth, I guess I (we all?) SHOULD have got the Artemis CP2 kit from Krale.shop (Netherlands). Ends up just about the same price w/shipping. Same product as the Chaser, just another name (Artemis) on it. Plus you get two mags with it. I'm liking that CAMO stocked version, and I may STILL get one... As many of you probably already KNOW, the moderator is NOT affixed with red loctite on the Artemis kits, its simply packed separately in the case. So you can swap it at will from the get-go on either barrel. I don't have a clue why the Diana folks decided to glue the moderator onto the rifle barrel on our "domestic USA" units. NO IDEA at all. Especially since that pistol barrel is so G/D LOUD! Go figure:unsure::unsure:....

Reactions: Long_Gun_Dallas
just heat it and try and heat it and try
and yes we get the mod glued to the rifle barrel end and we all take them off

just a note on a cheap adapter
these are well made and you get an extra 10mm thread protector
https://www.ebay.com/itm/285088594905

there lawyers made them do it

i believe the hot will weaken the red glue, when you get it off you will see in is hard a brittle
and a vice is needed with soft jaws and even with that it is not easy you may have to add a rubber glove to keep it from spinning

here is the setup and pliers i use
thumbnail_IMG_4083.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_4082.jpg

Marflow777--- Hey, I have those exact SAME green vise jaws(y). I need to pick up one of those soft-jawed pliers though... I have seen them at my local plumber supply house. Pricey, but worth it I'm sure for tasks such as THIS one! I'm gonna purchase them for sure, and try removing that moderator again. Also, as an aside---MUCH thanks for the barrel o-ring sizes info on the Airbud/Chaser.

the first time i removed one of my mods i used the front sight as a place to turn against and thought i would destroy it, it is stronger than we think
you real have no choice you have to turn against something
even with the vice and all i have had to add an Atlas rubber palm grove to the soft jaws for better grip
they didn't want you to take them off