Charging for pest removal

I am wondering if people have turned pesting into a side paid gig? What are people charging? I found a company in Canada that uses airguns to remove pigeons in a large urban area and charges $175-$250 per session. I am trying to get a feel of what this service might be worth? The last few summers I worked with a friend that's in charge of bylaw in my town (off the books) to remove some marmots free of charge. I have also been helping a local farmer out for the past few years with ground squirrels. Last summer a couple that had a problem with ground squirrels heard about me and reached out. I would love to get gas paid and a little bit of time covered. I feel like if I posted on the local FB site advertising services the comments would be full of "give me case of beer and I'll do it for free".

where in Canada are you offering this service?
In BC for Schedule B/C animals:

Schedule "B" lists animals that may be captured or killed only for the specific purpose of protecting property unless an open season is designated by regulation (see Regional Schedules for open seasons):

(a) Scapanus orarius - coast mole
(b) Lepus americanus - snowshoe hare
(c) all of the species of the sub family Arvicolinae and lemmings, except Ondonatra zibethicus - muskrat.
(d) Neotoma cinerea - bushy-tailed woodrat
(e) all species of the genus Peromyscus - deer mice
(f) Erethizon dorsatum - porcupine
(g) Thomomys talpoides - northern pocket gopher
(h) Marmota flaviventris - yellow-bellied marmot
(i) Marmota monax - woodchuck
(j) Spermophilus columbianus - Columbian ground squirrel
(k) Mephitis mephitis - striped skunk
(l) Procyon lotor - raccoon
(m) Spilogale putorius - spotted skunk

Schedule "C" animals can be captured or killed anywhere and at any time in BC. Schedule "C" birds may be hunted using electronic calls. You do not need a hunting licence to hunt or kill the following Schedule "C" wildlife:

(a) Rana catesbeiana - American bullfrog
(b) Rana clamitans - green frog
(c) all species of the family Chelydridae - snapping turtles
(d) Didelphis virginiana - North American opossum
(e) Sylvilagus floridanus - eastern cottontail
(f) Oryctolagus cuniculus - European rabbit
(g) Myocastor coypus - nutria
(h) all species of the genus Sciurus - gray squirrels and fox squirrels
(i) Passer domesticus - house sparrow
(j) Sturnus vulgaris - European starling
(k) Columbia livia - rock dove (domestic pigeon)

You do need a hunting licence to hunt the following Schedule "C" wildlife UNLESS you are hunting them on your property or they are damaging your property:
(a) all species of the genus Corvus - crows, except Corvus corax - common raven
(b) Pica pica - black-billed magpie
(c) Molothrus ater - brown-headed cowbird and the eggs of this bird species may be destroyed.

Top of page.

When I lived in NY I ended up with permission on a bunch of farms (they spread the word). One guy offered me a 6 pack of beer made from their grain per pest squirrel... I told him that he'd owe me a keg if we did that. I brought him 6 squirrels an hour later and accepted a 6-pack. Another farm gave me fresh farm made yogurts - super high quality stuff but not to my taste. One other offered me money to come back but I moved before I had the opportunity.

The best payment is a happy farmer that spreads the word and lets you shoot some game species too in season. If you're really doing them a favor you can probably ask for gas money if it's an hour drive. As others have mentioned, as soon as it's a job it can be a license and liability issue.

I met a older couple that removes pests for a living up in LA. They just happen to be at Joe's place when I used to swing by for bottle top offs. They got paid to remove pests. But they had a license and were bonded as well. Yes they got to pick off the pests with their pellet guns but they do majority of their work with gas, traps, posion, etc. After all, they are getting paid to remove the pests completely or keep the numbers low enough to where they are not seen or heard. They both use firearms at the range up in Angeles Forrest. She was telling me how much she like her 50 cal. I believe he said she was better than he was with that thing.

The guy ended up buying a red wolf and had joe install, program, and set up a atn 4k if I remember correctly.

The lady was the one who got me going to the range and told me about all the ranges in So Cal.

Allen

Had the same thought but gave up on it a long while back. I just tell property owners that if they feel I'm making a difference that they can help me offset gas & pellets ONCE IN A WHILE but are not obligated. I'm overjoyed they fully trust me to be effective, efficient & RESPONSIBLE while being on their premises. It's a privilege I'm very grateful for & will keep doing whether or not I'm compensated.

Had the same thought but gave up on it a long while back. I just tell property owners that if they feel I'm making a difference that they can help me offset gas & pellets ONCE IN A WHILE but are not obligated. I'm overjoyed they fully trust me to be effective, efficient & RESPONSIBLE while being on their premises. It's a privilege I'm very grateful for & will keep doing whether or not I'm compensated.
I'd be so happy to be able to shoot out on someone's large property, but to be able to also shoot pests? That's a bonus you don't normally get. Be happy with what you get, but always be respectful of other peoples property.

Allen

Reactions: 450BM
I'd be so happy to be able to shoot out on someone's large property, but to be able to also shoot pests? That's a bonus you don't normally get. Be happy with what you get, but always be respectful of other peoples property.

Allen
I am SOOO respectful, responsible, safety minded & efficient that every owner even allows me on property when they're not there! I strive to NEVER betray that trust.
I also NEVER go on property without consent first, even though they've given me the OK to come any time.

When I go to a farm I introduce myself. “Hi, I’m so and so, I grew up in xx ville and still live there, I’m not a flat lander, I’m not a politician and I don’t want to hunt deer here. All I’d like to do is help you rid your farm of the pigeons (there on your silos) and rats if you have any.” No refusals yet! Sure, I’d be happy to be paid to do it but I do this for fun and would never ask for anything.

Reactions: Str8tshooter
One thing to keep in mind with licenses is to know your state regs. While property owners/farmers may be allowed to take certain pest species without a license (but may need to notify a warden), it's not always legal for YOU to do it, even with owner permission. You as an outsider may need a license for those pest species regardless. Pest game species out of season is one common example (squirrels, rabbits etc), along with grackle and blackbirds on the crops. Legal take methods change too around these rules. Each state is different.

Reactions: 450BM