• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Changing Manometers on American Air Arms Evol .30 (User Perspective)

I’d had issues with older manometers sticking and not reading accurate pressure in the reservoir and plenum. I was informed that AAA no longer uses the older style gauges. After reaching out to Tom Costan about the issue I received updated manometers and instructions on how to replace them.

Below are the original older manometers.
7894F62C-79E6-4055-8B22-6BCD967F727B.jpeg

F582ECBA-C8CA-4ED8-AE4D-60763F46EE7A.jpeg

During last night’s thunderstorm I decided to do this overdue maintenance work on my Evol. For the longest time I’d been apprehensive about changing anything about the gun. I’m over it. Once I removed the receiver (as well as the attached barrel and reservoir all in one piece) from the chasis it felt like I was in some of my other rifles.

But I can say that I am impressed by the build quality and materials used. Anyhow, after following the schematics on the AAA website it wasn’t too hard to figure out what to do. When I couldn’t see where a bolt needed to be removed I figured it out when I encountered it. So if you’re not mechanically inclined, but can work a screw driver and set of Allen keys you should be ok here. BUT you will benefit greatly from having a tool made specifically for removing the gauges from this gun. To remove the plenum manometer, you must separate the receiver from the chasis.

This is why. The diameter of the gauge tool is about as wide as the opening in the chasis. The tool pictured on the ratchet is similar to the purple Evol gauge tool. To separate the receiver from the chasis I removed the large ¼” hex bolt (on the right), a smaller allen screw on the pic rail towards the moderator, and the allen screw that runs through the safety switch (I used two Allen keys of the same size to remove the safety).

FDAB3F0A-49CD-45EB-847C-11E500E5E1F4.jpeg

A78020F5-A55C-4CA4-ADFD-39FA5A80DB19.jpeg

Here’s a view of the back of the old and new manometer. I cleaned up the threads and slightly greased the o-rings before installing the new manometer.
0C60C77B-6514-48E2-973C-4463B4BAB859.jpeg

Below are photos of the newer manometers
91D1506F-B40E-4DD3-97DD-D77F5E22C4A6.jpeg

F509029F-0AB7-464D-85EB-708C79CB265B.jpeg

After installing the new ones I gassed up the reservoir before fitting it back into the chasis. I’ve learned that doing this saves time if you have to revisit an area that would otherwise be covered up or inaccessible once reassembled. That’s exactly what occurred. It appears that the o-ring came unseated when I inverted the gauge seal (the only only thing holding the o-ring in place is silicone grease) and pinched it when I screwed down the manometer. At least this is my suspicion. It was not screwed down tight at all. As a result of pinching the o-ring, at around 1600 psi I heard hissing then a *pop* like a half-empty old balloon stepped on by a bored child. I closed my tank valve and tried to tighten the manometer a little but the hissing didn’t stop completely. I allowed the air to vent from the reservoir through the plenum before completely removing this plenum manometer. When I removed it this is what I saw.
ABF4CFDD-7B38-45DB-9B94-8D0FB853DC87.jpeg

Now I have to hunt down the correct sized o-ring because I don’t have a 1.5 x 10.5 mm o-ring anywhere that I can find. May as well make a list and stock up on several o-rings needed for various parts and guns.

Last edited:
@ranchibi They do seem a lot simpler to read without as many hashmarks. Now that I’m thinking about it, I wonder if I should have known that something was off because one gauge was reading slightly ahead of the other by around 100 psi. I wonder if that was ominous of the problem that arose with the failed o-ring.
I bet it was a slight nick or varience in that failed o'ring causing the different readings. As I was typing the above response, my RAW was delivered via fedex! Ha! You must be Irish as you are now my good luck 🍀 charm on Saint Patrick's Day! 😂👍

• Haha
Reactions: Ezana4CE
@Ranchibi I really don’t know. It’s likely something that I did. I remembered that saw a couple of small little rust spots in the gauge seal (the metal ring in which the o-rings are seated) and I took some fine grit sand cloth (800 maybe) and went over the areas to remove the rust. I don’t think I took of a lot of surface material. I blew and wiped them off before rinsing them in 50% isopropyl alcohol. I have no idea if this was a bad idea. I gave it ample time to dry before installing (I want to say close to an hour). Now I’m waiting on o-rings that I ordered.

Reactions: Ranchibi
the new gauges have an interesting sealing arrangement as compared to the old. Were the old gauges threaded NPT? I assume NPT due the use of thread sealer. The new gauge using o-rings and metal sealing ring is very unique, I've never seen such. I wonder if those are custom to AAA or a commercially available item?
I have no idea on either point, BUT I assume they are NPT because there's info specific to NPT threads on the AAA site.

Edit: the Evol gauge block schematic does say “⅛ NPT” for the manometer and the male foster fill fitting.

Last edited:
My o-rings arrived this week and I was able to put regulator manometer back in. It’s holding air. Something that I found very helpful when I was waiting for my o-rings was this “Printable O-ring Identification Chart” on the American Air Arms website. The o-rings can be placed over the printed templates to ensure that you have the correct size o-rings in addition to the o-ring size. Notice the ruptured o-ring on the template next to the manometer (on the right).
3C09B161-0DC4-4FBE-AEA8-5069A616463E.jpeg

Link to the o-ring ID chart pdf: https://americanairarms.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/11/EVOL-O-ring-chart.pdf

The reservoir and plenum are holding air. This is a pretty easy fix if you have the necessary tools and o-rings on hand.
AB04D66D-3E57-42DE-B792-217DEE1D3B50.jpeg

When I have time I’ll gas it up some more. Right now I want to be sure it doesn’t have a slow leak before reassembly.

Thanks again @slayer.

Last edited:
Back in business and still shooting like I remember.
517F27C7-E195-467C-9AFB-FC02344D60B6.jpeg
The last couple 5-shot groups standing behind my tripod at 50 yards.
09881393-D5FD-4A1F-8A74-078D00C1FFE3.jpeg

When I started I heard squirrels frolicking in the trees and leaves. After I finished the first target they were barking in a couple places. Somewhere between the 4th and fifth target the woods got quiet. I still love shooting this gun. Still at it.

Edit: here’s the entire target.
A0B4B075-453D-4C98-992A-99886ABE2018.jpeg

Last edited: