Chairgun ballistic program for airguns

Recently, I found out that Hawke Optics no longer supports Chairgun. Now, I cannot get the program to work on my computer. I am asking all of you to email Hawke and petition them to re-consider. Their email is:

[email protected]

Here is my note to them. You can modify it to your own wording.

Dear Hawke:

I recently found on your website that you no longer support Chairgun, a very useful ballistic program for us airgunners. Although there are other ballistic programs, I find that none of them are as useful and user friendly for my application. I have bought a lot of your products which I use in competition, and I am petitioning you to re-consider your decision to stop supporting Chairgun. For a company whose products are targeted to airgunners, I find your decision highly questionable.

Thanks.

While I also like Chairgun and have used it more than any other application for this sort of work, you may find this useful:

Strelok

Strelok Pro is the way to go. Its not free but it has every reticle you could imagine and way more features than chairgun ever had. The app is constantly being updated with new features or reticles as they come out. Igor is very responsive to adding more things to the program and has been sent several things airgunners liked about chairgun asking for them to be added.

What ever happened to old school hunting and shooting?

What do you mean?

I mean knowing your weapon having a good guess on the distant hold over . Seems now a days everything is simplified buy computers .Just can't get a gripe on punching in a bunch of info and being told where to aim.Seems a bit boring unless you're in competition.

What ever happened to old school hunting and shooting?

What do you mean?

I mean knowing your weapon having a good guess on the distant hold over . Seems now a days everything is simplified buy computers .Just can't get a gripe on punching in a bunch of info and being told where to aim.Seems a bit boring unless you're in competition.

Good luck making ethical kills beyond 50 yds guessing your range. Look at the amount of drop between 5 yards beyond 50 yds with common airgun power levels of 20 - 45 fpe. Even my .25 thats putting out 46 fpe at the muzzle has a .70 difference of drop from 50 yds to 55 yds. If your target is a starling and you guess the range as 50 yds but its actually 55 you will either get a gut shot or a complete miss on that size target, hopefully a complete miss for the targets sake. Thats just at 50 yds with an air rifle shooting over 40 fpe now stretch it out to 75 yds or farther and you will be missing or maiming more than cleanly killing. Can you guess correctly every time for 50 yds and further with accuracy within + or - 2 yds? I would bet no. So my question to you is.... What happened to ethical hunting?

I have to agree that becoming overly dependent on computers and other types of techy gadgets really turns things like hunting and fishing into less of a "sport".

The name of the game is (was) supposed to be...."Can I feed my family with this gun and very little else". It was never intended to be a competition of who can calculate the most accurate data. THAT is the sport of accountant's and IRS workers. 🤔

To be fair let's not start saying people who dont use a ballistics calculator for every shot are out wounding every critter they shoot at. I have Strelok Pro and use it when I need to. Important statement is "When I need to", I still know where to hold out to 100 yards with my scope from shooting so much. My opinion is if you shoot often you are less reliant on such calculators. For the bench guys it works and that's a great tool to help hit a bullseye. My starling tree is 2 mils hold every day all day at 100 yards. It still pays to know your gun, maximum range you can ethically kill and where the drops are. 

Hookster dont twist my comment. It was said you take away the hunting part by using apps and rangefinders to know how much drop or wind drift you have at a given range. According to some people you should be able to do it with a guess. My comment is attacking that statement. You know what your hold is at your 100 yds thats great. I challenge you to accurately guess within 2 yds in different types of terrain while out hunting. If you cant guess within 2 yds every time you will have a large percentage of bad hits when using airguns. Airguns have allot of drop within 5 yds even in shorter distances like 50 yds. 

When your kill zone is smaller than the difference in drop from 50 - 55 yds you better be able to guess the yardage exactly or its a bad hit. If you are shooting in known locations where you have land markers fine. I hunt and pest in varying terrain so I dont always have the luxury. If im hunting a familiar area I dont need a rangefinder. If im hunting an area I dont have experience in so no field markers you can bet I verify my ranges with a laser rangefinder. Taking unknown shots that will result in poor hits because using a rangefinder isnt hunting in your opinion is about as unethical as you can get. Remember we are talking about pesting and hunting animals with kill zones that are .500 using airguns not big game animals like deer and elk where the kill zone is 8” or larger with firearms that shoot allot flatter. 

I have to agree that becoming overly dependent on computers and other types of techy gadgets really turns things like hunting and fishing into less of a "sport".

The name of the game is (was) supposed to be...."Can I feed my family with this gun and very little else". It was never intended to be a competition of who can calculate the most accurate data. THAT is the sport of accountant's and IRS workers.
1f914.svg

Well said that’s exactly what I’m talking about

The ballistic calculator gives you a good idea of what to expect for holdovers, but ultimately I figure all mine out by shooting at actual targets at known distances.

I put my main targets up at 25 and 50 yards. Then I stick a 3” target to a recipe card hot glued to a popsicle stick at every 5 yards starting at 5 yards all the way to 100 yards if necessary and determine my “true holdovers” that way. I always find the calculator to be off at some distances. Nothing replaces trigger time!

Hookster dont twist my comment. It was said you take away the hunting part by using apps and rangefinders to know how much drop or wind drift you have at a given range. According to some people you should be able to do it with a guess. My comment is attacking that statement. You know what your hold is at your 100 yds thats great. I challenge you to accurately guess within 2 yds in different types of terrain while out hunting. If you cant guess within 2 yds every time you will have a large percentage of bad hits when using airguns. Airguns have allot of drop within 5 yds even in shorter distances like 50 yds. 

When your kill zone is smaller than the difference in drop from 50 - 55 yds you better be able to guess the yardage exactly or its a bad hit. If you are shooting in known locations where you have land markers fine. I hunt and pest in varying terrain so I dont always have the luxury. If im hunting a familiar area I dont need a rangefinder. If im hunting an area I dont have experience in so no field markers you can bet I verify my ranges with a laser rangefinder. Taking unknown shots that will result in poor hits because using a rangefinder isnt hunting in your opinion is about as unethical as you can get. Remember we are talking about pesting and hunting animals with kill zones that are .500 using airguns not big game animals like deer and elk where the kill zone is 8” or larger with firearms that shoot allot flatter.

I never said anything about using a range finder .I take one along when I go pesting but out to 70 yards I don’t need to punch in too strlocfor a 50 to 60 yard shot and I’m not talking cans either..Those rats ranged45 to 58 yards.As I said in my post I can see using strloc for competition.Take a chill pill boys to each there own.PS I would be willing to bet that more than 80% of you guys have made bad judgment shots.