CFL Hog Down

So, I managed to finally get a clear shot at some hogs we have been hunting for close to two months now. I had a large thread that I started on it, but it was getting kind of crowded.

I figured I would start a new thread to post the video of the sow that I shot last night with my Texan .457 SS CF. I used a NOE 350 grain hollow point that a friend of mine cast. I took a neck shot and it dropped her. 

The short of the story is that we have had all kinds of problems at this property, equipment malfunctions and every sort of weird thing that can go wrong, has gone wrong for us over there. We would have shot two pigs last night, but my brother had another problem and I was the only one who got off a shot. He was going to shoot the big boar in the middle of the video, which I aimed at for a minute. I decided to shoot the smaller sow of the group. We are planning to be back out there again, so hopefully we will get another shot at the other pigs. Guys, make sure you change your scope batteries and your ir light batteries, so that they don't die at exactly the wrong minute!

Like I said, we have had so many errors out there, I am happy I finally got one down. Hunting at night is different than the day, so many batteries and lights and stuff to worry about. My brother is using a Sightmark Wraith HD and you really need the ir light to work when you are looking into tree covered areas. It was just before dark today when I got my shot, but back in the trees it was getting pretty dark. I think my brother is going to end up ordering a thermal, lol.

These are big pigs, you can't really tell in the video just how big they are. My brother is 250+ lbs and I am about 210 lbs and we struggled to get the sow I shot up onto the tailgate. I am guessing 175 to 200 lbs and I know that people over estimate their pigs size most of the time. What I also know is that I am pretty strong and my brother is stronger. We both played college football a few decades ago and this pig was heavy. The Yeti cooler in the pictures is 110 qt for size comparison.

We cut her up and there is going to be some grilling going on this weekend. She looked delicious when I got to her backstrap! 

I know that @Ezana4CE is going to want more details, so here are some. We got into our stand about an hour before dark. The feeder's timer seems to be messed up and we need to fix it, but the pigs still came in right before dark even though the feeder didn't go off. They are kind of hit or miss and are not regular on their patterns. It was just that we picked the right day and the wind was good yesterday. 

I have used the Wildgame Innovations ZeroTrace ion generator for scent reduction the last two times we have been out. We have also only hunted when the wind was still in our favor, so I am not saying that the ZeroTrace is the truth, but animals have not winded us at all from what I can tell. I shot the sow this time and a coyote last time and neither seemed to smell us. The coyote was directly downwind of me and never showed a sign that he knew we were there. Take that for what it is worth, but I am going to keep using the ZeroTrace for any kind of stand. 

If you want to watch just the shot, skip ahead to about the 2:00 minute mark.

https://youtu.be/mFRLJs6pQJE

FB65FE12-666A-4D00-A6C3-51154288D81D.1647362776.jpeg

D2FCF8FF-B2AC-4671-95E0-CEBE1F6966E5.1647362650.jpeg

B4890B44-362B-424D-8138-A1B96D435F1E.1647363006.jpeg

Reactions: N2 Shooter
decided to shoot the smaller sow of the group…

These are big pigs, you can't really tell in the video just how big they are. My brother is 250+ lbs and I am about 210 lbs and we struggled to get the sow I shot up onto the tailgate. I am guessing 175 to 200 lbs and I know that people over estimate their pigs size most of the time. What I also know is that I am pretty strong and my brother is stronger. We both played college football a few decades ago and this pig was heavy. 

We cut her up and there is going to be some grilling going on this weekend. She looked delicious when I got to her backstrap! 

I know that @Ezana4CE is going to want more details, so here are some. We got into our stand about an hour before dark. The feeder's timer seems to be messed up and we need to fix it, but the pigs still came in right before dark even though the feeder didn't go off. They are kind of hit or miss and are not regular on their patterns. It was just that we picked the right day and the wind was good yesterday. 

If you want to watch just the shot, skip ahead to about the 2:00 minute mark.

https://youtu.be/mFRLJs6pQJE

D2FCF8FF-B2AC-4671-95E0-CEBE1F6966E5.1647362650.jpeg

@AncientSword You already know I had questions. And you’re right. That sow is a lot bigger than she looked once you strung her up. Nice shot!! Laid her down beautifully. I mean that was a well placed shot with plenty of power behind it. You get a clean pass through or do you see evidence of significant expansion after hitting ribs and maybe a scapula? That battery sitatuion is crucial. I can relate. Good to have spares. Thanks for sharing this. I like how that fusion setting looks on film too. 

My brother pulled the bullet out before I could see exactly where it was, but it didn’t pass through. It definitely broke some bone and flattened out like crazy. I’ll get a picture of it. 

4BAA00EB-B747-40F4-A556-282E76CA2672.1647369852.jpeg

Edit:

Here’s the bullet next to a 350 grain NSA. 
The one I shot was a NOE 350 grain hollow point. The mold was converted to hollow point by Eric at Hollow Point Bullet Mold Service.

I’m all out of those bullets and need to get more. I would put one of them next to the bullet I shot, if I had any…

My brother pulled the bullet out before I could see exactly where it was, but it didn’t pass through. It definitely broke some bone and flattened out like crazy. I’ll get a picture of it. 

4BAA00EB-B747-40F4-A556-282E76CA2672.1647369852.jpeg

Edit:

Here’s the bullet next to a 350 grain NSA. 
The one I shot was a NOE 350 grain hollow point. The mold was converted to hollow point by Eric at Hollow Point Bullet Mold Service.

I’m all out of those bullets and need to get more. I would put one of them next to the bullet I shot, if I had any…

Oh yea, that’s some nice expansion. Didn’t realize they were boat tails. That looks like a winning combination. Thanks for sharing.