• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Events Central Ohio Airgunners AAFTA match with HFT division 10-8-23

Copied from a post by Eric Jones on Central Ohio Airgunners facebook page:

Sunday, October 8th
This Sunday is the 6th and last FT match of the season at Central Ohio Airgunners . The forecast looks a bit cooler, should be a great day on the lanes. Come on out !!!
This will be the final chance to get in your high scores for the Buckeye FT Series........
If you've never shot FT it's time you gave it a go, FT is alot of fun !!!
Gates open at 9AM, practice range opens at 9:30 am, we hope to start the match at around 10:30 AM.
The match will consist of 15 lanes, 2 targets per lane, 2 shots per target for a total of 60 shots. We will be adhering to AAFTA rules for the match.
Entry fee is 10$ for club members, 15$ for traveller's.
The practice range will stay open during the match for anyone thats not wanting to compete, 10$ fee for non members that just want to plink. We will have water and pop available, no food, please bring your own.
I will be setting up the course on Saturday the 7th, starting around 11am, my back has been wrecked for the last week, I'm hoping for some help. For anyone that can help, your match fees on Sunday will be free.
Any questions? Hit me up. See y'all Sunday for a great day of shooting Field Target !!!
Get in your shooting before the weather turns for the worse.......

I assume this is a regular field target match, not an HFT match (which implies European Hunter Field Target)? I won't be there either way, just checking for those that might be in the area.
No it doesn't imply the european as they follow the aafta rules with the hunter division being the most popular.

Its also part of the Buckeye Field Target series with 4 fields participating.

Sorry to derail your match post, but I was legitimately confused about the match format. Just to be clear, even though it says HFT in the title, its actually a regular AAFTA field target match, correct?

HFT is not the same thing as FT in the US. You are correct that it isn't implied that this is an HFT match. It's stated that it's an HFT match in the title of the post. This could cause confusion for WFTF and Open shooters who might want to attend.

https://www.whfta.org/hft-rules.html#/

Sorry to derail your match post, but I was legitimately confused about the match format. Just to be clear, even though it says HFT in the title, its actually a regular AAFTA field target match, correct?

HFT is not the same thing as FT in the US. You are correct that it isn't implied that this is an HFT match. It's stated that it's an HFT match in the title of the post. This could cause confusion for WFTF and Open shooters who might want to attend.

https://www.whfta.org/hft-rules.html#/
Thank you for the link to the world hunter field target site. Sorry for any confusion. Yes I can see why that could be confused with the aafta event but it would seem that HFT would still be an accurate description when using AAFTA rules for the hunter division wouldnt it? Especially since the event is in America. If it was a world hunter field target event, wouldn't referring to it as a WHFT match be more accurate? Especially since the website with their rules is in fact whft.org? When under AAFTA, how would one refer to hunter division of field target? FTH? What about open division? And how to do it without being too wordy. I'm not trying to be argumentative, but to understand and use the proper terminology early on.

I attended their match last month and it had me hooked. The experienced airgunners there referred to it as HFT because it is hunter division of american field target. It is the most active of divisions for their events. I defer to their experience as I'm learning the ins and outs of the hobby.. Some do open or the wftf division, but there are few that do that. They said that many wont attend if there isn't a hunter division. Most understand that. The event details are direct copy pasted from the FB page for their site. In fact the description of the event stated they are using AAFTA rules.

What I'm trying to say is that it's a field target event, which we abbreviate as FT. The sport of Hunter Field Target which is shot internationally is abbreviated as HFT. So calling an American field target match HFT is confusing and it gives the appearance that only people shooting in Hunter Division are welcome.

To add to the confusion, a lot of people around here say that they shoot HFT, meaning they shoot in AAFTA matches in Hunter division. That's fine. It's not correct, but what are you going to do? You can't go around correcting everyone on the internet. But the matches they are shooting in are Field Target matches. Not Hunter Field Target matches, unless they are on the other side of the ocean. We shoot our matches concurrently, so different divisions are shooting the same match at the same time. Overseas, the rules and courses for FT and HFT are different so they can't do both on the same course at the same time.

To answer your question, the common way to refer to the way one would shoot field target would be Hunter class or open class or WFTF. That's still not technically correct because they aren't classes, they are divisions. PCP and Piston are classes. But nobody wants to write division, so they say class. But when referring to a match, we call it field target. We don't even call it American field target, because there is an EFT-style match called American field target at one of the big shoots.

Anyway, I hope it's a great shoot. And I'm glad you are hooked. It's one of the most fun and challenging things you can do with a trigger involved.

Reactions: MysticalDragon
What I'm trying to say is that it's a field target event, which we abbreviate as FT. The sport of Hunter Field Target which is shot internationally is abbreviated as HFT. So calling an American field target match HFT is confusing and it gives the appearance that only people shooting in Hunter Division are welcome.

To add to the confusion, a lot of people around here say that they shoot HFT, meaning they shoot in AAFTA matches in Hunter division. That's fine. It's not correct, but what are you going to do? You can't go around correcting everyone on the internet. But the matches they are shooting in are Field Target matches. Not Hunter Field Target matches, unless they are on the other side of the ocean. We shoot our matches concurrently, so different divisions are shooting the same match at the same time. Overseas, the rules and courses for FT and HFT are different so they can't do both on the same course at the same time.

To answer your question, the common way to refer to the way one would shoot field target would be Hunter class or open class or WFTF. That's still not technically correct because they aren't classes, they are divisions. PCP and Piston are classes. But nobody wants to write division, so they say class. But when referring to a match, we call it field target. We don't even call it American field target, because there is an EFT-style match called American field target at one of the big shoots.

Anyway, I hope it's a great shoot. And I'm glad you are hooked. It's one of the most fun and challenging things you can do with a trigger involved.
Thank you its appreciated. I got caught into calling it classes also, but since the rules call them divisions thats what I'm working to call it.

I agree it is one of the most fun things to do. Theres only so much paper punching I can do and still have ongoing fun. Its one reason I've not shot many of my firearms in the last years. Sharing with friend's about my experiences so far, they've also gotten interested in it. They said it does sound fun.

Thank you its appreciated. I got caught into calling it classes also, but since the rules call them divisions thats what I'm working to call it.
Don't worry about it, just call it hunter class like everyone else. Anyone that calls them "divisions" is probably a narc.

There are certain things that we have all agreed to be wrong about for the sake of convenience, such as calling an adjustable butt pad a butt hook. They are not the same thing. One is illegal for FT in Hunter Division and will probably get you kicked out of the library if you google search it. The other will make people think you are a cyclist with hemorrhoids. But every day in the classifieds you will see people refer to the butt hook on the Impact they are selling, when it's actually an adjustable butt pad. That's fine. I mean, all words are made up.

I agree it is one of the most fun things to do. Theres only so much paper punching I can do and still have ongoing fun. Its one reason I've not shot many of my firearms in the last years. Sharing with friend's about my experiences so far, they've also gotten interested in it. They said it does sound fun.
Before long you will planning trips to shoot other clubs and planning vacation days for GPs(that's what I'm doing now trying to get dates down so I can request time off).

Jon

• Haha
Before long you will planning trips to shoot other clubs and planning vacation days for GPs(that's what I'm doing now trying to get dates down so I can request time off).

Jon
Well thankfully Ohio is a hotbed for airguns. Central Ohio Airgunners, is my homefield and an hour away. The other 3 fields that participate int he Buckeye Field Target Series are about 2 hours away. Its hard to beat that, especially since those near the northern or southern fields are 3-4 hours from those on the other side of the state. Sadly I found it at the end of the season not the beginning.

Though I can see it happening. I went from dismissing the 177 cal to having 2 soon to be 3 rifles in it after attending a match.

Reactions: drsquall
Well thankfully Ohio is a hotbed for airguns. Central Ohio Airgunners, is my homefield and an hour away. The other 3 fields that participate int he Buckeye Field Target Series are about 2 hours away. Its hard to beat that, especially since those near the northern or southern fields are 3-4 hours from those on the other side of the state. Sadly I found it at the end of the season not the beginning.

Though I can see it happening. I went from dismissing the 177 cal to having 2 soon to be 3 rifles in it after attending a match.
That would be nice. The closer to me is 1 hr and then it's 4hr and after that at least 10hr drive

• Wow