• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Centerpoint 3-12x44 vs same???

Hello Everyone,

I purchased two of these Centerpoint scopes in store at different Walmarts-

Centerpoint 3-12x44 PLT

I bought the second one after the first one just didn't seem to live up to what I had read about it. BTW-I am only going to keep one. Turns out that they are the same exact model number, but they are different scopes. One is manufactured September of 2017 (shorter one) and the other June of 2020 (longer one).

20210315_112033.1616094395.jpg

20210315_112020.1616094515.jpg

My observations between the two-

The older/shorter one-

• Shorter overall with the turrets located closer to the eyepiece.
  • Turrents are sloppy (mushy clicks/turrets themselves can be rocked when not locked down).
  • Smaller FOV (field of view) at all magnifications.
  • Harder to turn side focus knob and zoom ring.
  • Thicker/squared ends of alignment posts outside of the reticle (left, right, and bottom).

Newer/longer one-

• Opposite all factors above.

Otherwise, glass wise, I cannot tell any difference between the two; they seem equally crisp, bright, etc.. Take this with a grain of salt as I am not a scope guru, but these scopes are near the optical appearance (glass quality) of my Bushnell Engage 3-12x42 under afternoon overcast conditions. The Engage has an ever slight edge in focus/crispness as well as perceived quality due to their individual appearance (the Engage just looks and feels like a nicer/higher quality scope), but it also costs over double the price.

From the reviews I have read it would appear as if the newer version is the one people are talking about/liking, but thought I would ask here to see if that is the case or I am splitting hairs and it doesn't really matter. 

Thanks,

Pete