• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

N/A Cayden, Kratos or Avenger for first PCP?

First time delving into a PCP and I don't know anyone that has one yet. Torn between the 3, would like to stay sidelever if possible. Any other suggestions, I know this has probably been asked a few times, any suggestions will be appreciated. Trying to stay under $700, I still need to buy a compressor!

Last edited:
First time delving into a PCP and I don't know anyone that has one yet. Torn between the 3, would like to stay sidelever if possible. Any other suggestions, I know this has probably been asked a few times, any suggestions will be appreciated.
@SDALEX Welcome to AGN. The linked thread below was created for people like yourself.

As @CharlieF mentioned, the search feature will yield plenty of threads asking similar questions.

Reactions: MysticalDragon
I have lots of experience with the Benjamin Craftsman Series (Akela / Cayden / Kratos).

They are excellent rifles for the purposes you listed. Accurate and very simple design to work on and maintain - unregulated.

I have no experience with the Avenger - but I do recall that it requires a higher fill pressure than the Craftsman Series - possibly an issue if hand pumping.

If you are woods walking when squirrel hunting, I suggest an Akela .22 (a .177 would also work). Its a bullpup design and easy to carry.

The Cayden is a long rifle. It has a longer barrel than either Kratos and Akela. It is also not shrouded - so its loud without a moderator - which adds to its length.

The Kratos has a wide flat stock - nice for benchrest but heavy to carry - especially since the bottle is not carbon fiber. It is shrouded, so in .22 if tuned to about 28 foot pounds you may not need a moderator, which would keep the length reasonable.

Hope this helps,

-Ed

Cayden and kratos yes, avenger just felt too plasticky to me. It didnt help that my magazimes were junk when i got them. Cayden 22 shot great out of the box, kratos in .25 did ok but a recrown helped alot. Any of them could need tweaking out of the box, it will really just come down to visual appeal and roll with it.
Thanks for the reply, been searching the forums alot. Wish San Diego had a good PCP Air rifle store, would like to put my hands on some before purchasing.

I have lots of experience with the Benjamin Craftsman Series (Akela / Cayden / Kratos).

They are excellent rifles for the purposes you listed. Accurate and very simple design to work on and maintain - unregulated.

I have no experience with the Avenger - but I do recall that it requires a higher fill pressure than the Craftsman Series - possibly an issue if hand pumping.

If you are woods walking when squirrel hunting, I suggest an Akela .22 (a .177 would also work). Its a bullpup design and easy to carry.

The Cayden is a long rifle. It has a longer barrel than either Kratos and Akela. It is also not shrouded - so its loud without a moderator - which adds to its length.

The Kratos has a wide flat stock - nice for benchrest but heavy to carry - especially since the bottle is not carbon fiber. It is shrouded, so in .22 if tuned to about 28 foot pounds you may not need a moderator, which would keep the length reasonable.

Hope this helps,

-Ed
Thank you! Haven't looked much at the bullpup guns yet, action lever is awful close. More research here we go!

First time delving into a PCP and I don't know anyone that has one yet. Torn between the 3, would like to stay sidelever if possible. Any other suggestions, I know this has probably been asked a few times, any suggestions will be appreciated.
If you are looking at an avenger, skip that and get the avenge x. Its not that much more and had many improvements over the avenger. Plus there are many stocks to choose from depending on your tastes. A friend who shoots a redwolf, got the wood stock one and is very happy with it. We have had people shoot field target at our field with them already and have been happy with them.

If youve not thought about how to fill it, look at the GX CS4 compressor. Its hard to beat for the price and gives you the ability to fill SCBA bottles later should you decide to. Or its a great option if you add a rifle with a bottle on it.

Thank you! Haven't looked much at the bullpup guns yet, action lever is awful close. More research here we go!
It can be daunting for sure. When I was looking at getting into the hobby, I was pouring over youtube channels (many seem more like infomercials than legit reviews) thought i had things narrowed down, then I went to a field target match at a local field and it threw everything out of the water lol. I ended up getting 2 rifles in 177 and may possibly get a 3rd. It can be a wonderful rabbit hole lol.

Reactions: Ezana4CE
i have a kratos, akela, and cayden .. no avenger .. but if all 4 were hanging on the wall and i was after fluffy nuts id grab the cayden ... it will pop chicken eggs off the fence posts on the other side of the street at 80 if well rested and held over correctly and handles well in most situations, with a moderator, a 80y takedown on a squirrel is a eureka moment shot though if your not pre-set up for it haha .. that kratos is ideal for a target gun, lots of shots, better suited to the bench .. the akela is really my least favorite, its ok for offhand patroling and handles well that way, anything else the cayden handles better. the akela is easier to knock out of sighted to.. theyll all shoot the same more or less and respond well to some tlc tuning, cleaning up of parts and ports etc ..

Reactions: Ezana4CE
If you are looking at an avenger, skip that and get the avenge x. Its not that much more and had many improvements over the avenger. Plus there are many stocks to choose from depending on your tastes. A friend who shoots a redwolf, got the wood stock one and is very happy with it. We have had people shoot field target at our field with them already and have been happy with them.

If youve not thought about how to fill it, look at the GX CS4 compressor. Its hard to beat for the price and gives you the ability to fill SCBA bottles later should you decide to. Or its a great option if you add a rifle with a bottle on it.

Thanks for the info- was looking at 45min fireman bottle and a Yong Heng compressor. I'll have a good look at the GX compressor.

It can be daunting for sure. When I was looking at getting into the hobby, I was pouring over youtube channels (many seem more like infomercials than legit reviews) thought i had things narrowed down, then I went to a field target match at a local field and it threw everything out of the water lol. I ended up getting 2 rifles in 177 and may possibly get a 3rd. It can be a wonderful rabbit hole lol.
I have a few break barrels but want to get a PCP for some more fun and less noise. Daughter likes to shoot but hates the brake barrel.

SDAlex, I'm in Oceanside. Have 2 places in Ramona where I do pest control. If you'd ever like to connect & try any of my guns I'd be happy to let you. Send me a Private Message, we can exchange info & I can let you know when I'm going. I'm retired so my schedule is flexible, to say the least. Also hunting buddies with Revoman (in your area) & he might have some input for you too. I could try to verbally sway you but a "try out", like a picture, is worth a thousand words.

SD,
Welcome to the forum, wealth of valued information, freely shared, here. Recommend checking out Matt Dubber's video series, "Air Gun Ballistics, 101," paying special attention to areas covering regulated vs. non-regulated airguns. Of the three, I'd recommend the Avenger, but also agree with Mystical to upgrade to the AvengeX platform, if budget allows. Air Venturi addressed several concerns with the Avenger in the AvengeX, saves you having to address them. Gerry52 is top-notch, avail yourself of his kind offers, you won't regret it. WM

SDAlex, I'm in Oceanside. Have 2 places in Ramona where I do pest control. If you'd ever like to connect & try any of my guns I'd be happy to let you. Send me a Private Message, we can exchange info & I can let you know when I'm going. I'm retired so my schedule is flexible, to say the least. Also hunting buddies with Revoman (in your area) & he might have some input for you too. I could try to verbally sway you but a "try out", like a picture, is worth a thousand words.
Thanks for the offer, I will send you a PM.

welcome to the forum 🙂 if you are a fast learner I might be asking you questions.. I got around 8 years ago a american tactical Nova liberty 22 from airguns of Arizona and a Omega trail charger.. I'd highly recommend skipping the tank altogether and getting the Omega trail charger, while you can probably find a few a lot less money.. this compressor just works, auto shutdown for what pressure you set for, built-in water trap, and you can run it off your car battery or 120 ac.. I have only screwed down the grease pot once a year.. fills the american tactical Nova liberty in just a couple minutes, notos takes longer to push in the probe and turn on than to fill.. it takes a good 5 minutes to fill my hatsan blitz 22..
I started back in my 20s with PCP guns and got out of them in less than 5 years, was very difficult to get the scb tank filled since I don't have a dive license and don't want to be underwater.. things are different now but I am absolutely happy with the trail charger..
good luck with your airgunning and you are welcome to pm me anytime you want to.. just click on my name and select start conversation.. it similar to email.. and pm message id be happy to give you my email and phone number of you want to text or call..
Mark Hooper