• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Cayden improving on a freezing day…

I was Leary of doing any mods until it broke in some. I did the trigger polishing/sear adjustment and that helped get a lighter pull. I don't have a trigger gauge, but What seemed like a two-pound pull out of the box, is now much lighter. I may do the spring cut idea that you posted (thanks by the way) but I'm pretty happy with the cayden and the performance that I'm getting.

I was Leary of doing any mods until it broke in some. I did the trigger polishing/sear adjustment and that helped get a lighter pull. I don't have a trigger gauge, but What seemed like a two-pound pull out of the box, is now much lighter. I may do the spring cut idea that you posted (thanks by the way) but I'm pretty happy with the cayden and the performance that I'm getting.

Hi Todd,

I shot these two cards today - from the “30 Yard Challenge “ in the target shooting forum on this site.

Note that I shot both cards back-to-back - starting at 2,700 psi on the gauge. I also took about 4 sighters. Thats 52 shots where I am shooting a pin head bullseye at 30 yards.

The reason to cut the hammer spring is to achieve a very flat bell curve. I’ve got a 65 shot string with a spread of 16fps - using a 2.8” spring.

When I got the Cayden, the stock 3.5” hammer spring length gives a steadily declining velocity from a full fill of 3,000 psi.

I could not shoot ONE of these targets without the velocity drop over 24 shots causing a noticeable change in point-of-impact.

The shorter spring not only results in massive efficiency gains, but it allows you to target shoot where you need 30-50 shots to be drop dead consistent.

The Cayden is accurate (and powerful) with the stock 3.5” hammer spring length, but there is no way you can shoot 2 straight magazines with high precision - due to the steadily declining “cliff” shot string.

26551105-9018-4DB0-A89E-CEE0761905D2.jpeg

A4C282FF-E62B-4016-89AD-925709512B49.jpeg

04A934ED-011E-4613-9ED2-4FC28ECE5A6E.jpeg

5B371137-E912-42C1-BB44-B186643EDF9C.jpeg

Reactions: kuroshio_098
EPG,
I have a confession to make. I am a firm believer in “ own your $#!+“ when you screw up. I misread my caliper on the initial cut and got it way too short, so … upon discovering this, I got back to your dimensions and my Cayden groups VERY nicely With Crosman 14.3s. Have not chronied it yet. Will get to that today.
My apologies sir.

Reactions: EdinGa
EPG,
I really want to thank you for sharing your work on these guns. I finally got to take my Cayden .22 out to distance today and all I can say is WOW! After getting the hammer spring to the correct length, this thing is an absolute laser. Using CPHP 14.3’s at 25yds … one hole 12 round group! Opened up to a nickel at 50, but that was probably me. I was shooting off of my tripod. The bench would have been a little more stable. Busted a clay bird at 83yds. Then broke the pieces. Than the pieces of pieces. I was literally laughing out loud. Once again got off without my chronograph, but shot 6-8 mags on one fill. Shot 18gr slugs just as accurately. Even took the 14.3’s out to 117yds in a paper plate size group with a little bit of wind. At the end of the day I was still showing over 1000psi.
This was a good gun before the mod. Now it is truly amazing. Anyone that has been hesitant about cutting down your hammer spring, I would say just do it. You will not be disappointed. Now I want an Akela!
Thanks again

EPG,
I really want to thank you for sharing your work on these guns. I finally got to take my Cayden .22 out to distance today and all I can say is WOW! After getting the hammer spring to the correct length, this thing is an absolute laser. Using CPHP 14.3’s at 25yds … one hole 12 round group! Opened up to a nickel at 50, but that was probably me. I was shooting off of my tripod. The bench would have been a little more stable. Busted a clay bird at 83yds. Then broke the pieces. Than the pieces of pieces. I was literally laughing out loud. Once again got off without my chronograph, but shot 6-8 mags on one fill. Shot 18gr slugs just as accurately. Even took the 14.3’s out to 117yds in a paper plate size group with a little bit of wind. At the end of the day I was still showing over 1000psi.
This was a good gun before the mod. Now it is truly amazing. Anyone that has been hesitant about cutting down your hammer spring, I would say just do it. You will not be disappointed. Now I want an Akela!
Thanks again
Hi bivy53,

Glad to help. Yep, these rifles are awesome once you fix the hammer spring issue with some shortening.

I’m currently tuning a Reximex Daystar .177 that I bought used (practically new) off the AGN Classifieds this month.

The Daystar is essentially a .177 Cayden. Virtually identical in all respects to the Benjamin Alela/Cayden/Kratos.

I’ve really polished the heck out of the trigger, bolt and internals. It also was oversprung, and I’m down to 2.65” - but it needs to be cut to at least 2.57” for .177 - probably 2.48 is optimal for .177.

I’ve evolved and am now testing custom, non-Crosman/Benjamin springs. I’ll let you know. I’ve started a thread named “So you want a .177 Cayden” - where you can follow the results of the Daystar tuning.

These are awesome guns - once you fix the hammer spring. I’ve got plenty of $2,000 price range PCPs - these rifles shoot right with them once tuned. And they are so simple - design and to maintain. I love simple!

Try these two pellets in your Cayden - at 850-875 fps:

H&N Baracuda 15
JSB 14.35g

I’ve been able to shoot above 195 in the “30 Yard Challenge “ with these two pellets using my Cayden.

-Ed