Benjamin Cayden Cocking Issue

I have a Cayden that I purchased recently with an odd cocking cycle.

It would cock and fire but it would feel as if it caught on something during pull back and closing.

I removed the air reservoir and began disassembling the gun looked inside and saw what appears to be 4 to 8 pellets fell in-between the valve face and the striker itself.

I spent some time cleaning all the let out including the lead that was smeared and stuck on the sidewalls of the internal working parts of the action.

I removed the top plate to look at the bolt and side lever. Looks like it could be bent slightly, and it is catching on one of the main mounting plate posts. Does anybody have any pictures or advice?

20231116_071401.jpg

20231114_071224.jpg

20231116_071415.jpg

20231116_071428.jpg

WOW!
4-8 pellets in the breach/bolt area, I'm surprised that it cocked at all!
Clean and polish the bolt, and the bolt receiver area w/ooo steel wool, then lightly lube with some silicone. That should get things sliding friction free. As far as the bolt being bent, you can try to straighten it in a vice, or contact Benjamin/ Crosman and order a new one, if it can't be straightened. If you look at where the bolt and the breach come threw the back of the loading area, you will see how the pellets could get into the housing. I was hand loading mine (before I got a single shot tray) and got just one pellet fall in the back, and could not cock it at all, I can't imagine how 4- 8 would be. Good luck. Please post your results to your repair and let us know how you went about it.

Like issue here maybe ?

I own a Cayden,, and if I have one complaint of the rifle it would be the design allowance of ammo entering the action through the forward area of the bolt face!!! It is my own fault! But that's the way the action is made.
This ONLY happens while using the single shot sled .... never has happened from a magazine. The ssl was purchased for a Kral rifle which I then adapted/altered to fit the Cayden, but it allows for the pellet to slide rearward and into the action IF I'M NOT CAREFUL while loading the ssl. It's happened several times to me and I've had to turn the gun upside down - shake it a bit - and the pellet drops back out.....NOT rocket science!
SO, shame on the person that allowed their ammo to "disappear" (from either mag or hand loading) then not figure out where the ammo went and continue functioning the lever destroying the ammo and fouling the action making the rifle inoperable? THEN sell the rifle ? :rolleyes::mad: Most definitely a ShakeMyHead moment! I feel for the OP... hopefully he got a great deal on the Cayden.

When adding weight to the striker/hammer it goes inside of it, not it's striking face 😁

Sorry, couldn't resist...

Clean it up, reassemble and go shoot. Chances are everything's fine. That BEND in the link between lever and bolt IS THERE BY DESIGN. I suspect you would bend one of the pivot pins before that linkage, bolt or side lever. Never had this happen in my Cayden, but I don't single load either. Was this purchased used or new?

Last edited:
If you need advice or parts, try Airgun Revisions They are an authorized Crosman/Benjamin Warranty Center, and based on my experience, easier to work with than Crosman or Benjamin directly. Rich at Airgun Revisions can sell you parts, or repair your rifle, if necessary. And if it's a warranty issue, he'll service your rifle as a warranty claim. Rich is very easy to work with.

I've ordered the new cocking handle from crosman, $19 and some change shipped not too bad.

I typically buy used and typically have no prob doing so, I can get some great deals on guns that require minimal mending. I just picked up 7 guns in a bulk deal, this was one of them. I've had to mend a few already, lots of people have no business working on airguns. The marauder Field and Target had a faulty reg, I was able to machine a human plenum extension down to fit it where the factory reg was. Machined a light weight hammer and an SSG for it. Once this is done I'll have three guns from the 7 inspected and ready to sell.

I don't think I'll claim warranty, just curious if anyone else had this issue.

Polished the hammer, cleaned up the action and now I'm waiting for the new cocking lever. Might as well polish up the trigger components while it's apart.