Cayden .22 shooting 150 yds - almost too easy

I have a 4" gong set up at 150 yds and even on a windy day, like today, it's almost too easy to hit with my Benjamin Cayden .22, shooting FX Hybrid 22 grain slugs. Today the wind was right to left and I needed to add about 4 MOA to hit the target.

Through the scope.1647989888.jpg

Cayden shooting 150 yds.1647989906.jpg

Reactions: Ezana4CE
wheres it hitting at 20y ? 50y? ... thats the problem i have with long range shooting pellet guns, if its dialed in way out what do i do when that rabbit smiles at me at 30 .. compensate 12 feet lol ... i guess if your good enough ..

I set up my air rifles same way I do my powder burners, I zero to a distance where my shots are 1 MOA or less, then use hold over for shots longer than that. In this case, my Cayden shoots sub MOA out to 50 yds so that's my zero. I use the same zero for 100, 150, or anything else.

I don't hunt so if a rabbit smiles at me, I just smile back. :D

would you mind doing a review of how it shoots at various ranges? We have a precision air rifle match at our club, and would love to find a well priced loaner gun for those attending as guests...

Sure, I'm always happy to brag about my Cayden. ;)

My Cayden will shoot sub MOA to targets up to 50 yds using Air Arms 18 grain pellets. From 50-100 yds it will shoot 1-2 MOA using pellets and 1 MOA using FX Hybrid 22 grain slugs. If I'm shooting pellets, I tune the rifle for 850 fps by adjusting the hammer spring tension and I get about 60 shots (5 full magazines) on a single 3,000 psi fill before the POI starts to drop. If I'm shooting slugs, I tune the rifle for about 875 fps (one turn less than maximum hammer spring pre-tension) and I get 40 shots before the POI starts to drop. The Cayden's barrel is choked and I haven't found any other slugs it likes except for the FX Hybrids. In my rifle, Air Arms pellets shoot best followed by JSB 18.13 pellets.

Here's a typical card for 30 yds:

20210823_175119.1648035103.jpg

Here's a 50 yds group shooting pellets:

20220308_140240_2.1648035201.jpg

And a 50 yds group shooting slugs:

20220214_140703_2.1648035242.jpg

And a 100 yds group shooting pellets:

20210710_161345.1648035280.jpg

Hey Stretch,

Nice to see that you are hitting farther distances, with good results, thanks for the report on the FX hybrid 22 grain slugs, I've tried the NSA 17.5 gr & 20.2 gr slugs at farther targets, and when the wind is sideways.

Hi Oakhonor 

My normal practice session distances are 10-60 yards with the cayden, I use the air venturi rat on a stick/rat on the run reactive metal targets. At these distances, the cayden is awesome. Sorry to hijack the thread hope this helps. 

TODD

wheres it hitting at 20y ? 50y? ... thats the problem i have with long range shooting pellet guns, if its dialed in way out what do i do when that rabbit smiles at me at 30 .. compensate 12 feet lol ... i guess if your good enough ..

It's simpler to do than to explain how to do it in a forum post.

It's also not so much a matter of being "good enough" as it is the "know how".

Your crafty replies in other threads indicate to me that you are an intelligent person so I have no doubt you would do fine shooting long range with a basic understanding of a few helpful tools. 

I'll help you out if you want, just message me.

Hi stretch

Have you shot your cayden on paper to see the size of the groups? I have shot mine out to 100 yards with quarter size group results. I thought that was decent, but I don't shoot that far that much, I mostly shoot 10 to 60 yards. 

TODD

Quarter sized group at 100 yds is excellent shooting with any rifle in my opinion. I think my best groups with pellets were around 1.5 MOA, haven't shot slugs on paper that far yet.

stretch, Your results are more impressive ,and show that the cayden punches above it's paygrade. The quarter size group was the best out of six targets, the first one was a spread of lead rather then a group! LOL I used heavier grain pellets, and slugs that I had, and I tightened them up by the sixth one, using 21.2 gr slugs. Given my current skill level, and a 100yds the farthest I've shot the cayden I'm happy but feel more lucky truth be told. The cayden is the rock star I'm the roadie.

TODD