Catching Pellets - Part II

This is turning out to be, not as easy as I thought! After getting several replies to my "capture" questions, I decided to give it a try. I wanted to see what kind of rifling groves the Widlcat .22 (Smooth Twist) barrel made.
I set a ladder against the garage, filled a 10 gal. plastic bucket with water, then climbed the ladder (about 10 ft.), and shot directly straight down into the water.

Much to my surprise, the shock wave blew out the side of the bucket, almost from top to bottom. So I duct taped the crack and tried again, this time it blew out the duct tape.

Besides getting wet, I retrieved a few pellets. I guess water is harder than you think, because the pellets are flattened a bit, on the nose.
The smooth twist barrel doesn't leave actual groves in the pellet. I leaves a shinny ring around the head and the skirt, from complete contact with the barrel, interesting!

Ah! Clearly you dont have the snow to shoot into (I just posted about it in your previous post on catching pellets).
I just went out to my pellet trap and pulled about 30 pellets out of it. I built a pellet trap out of scrap wood, then filled a old feed bag with old worn out pairs of jeans. Of the pellets I pulled out a few were undamaged, and the rifling could be seen.
Others were very mangled. I am assuming that was the result of them hitting other pellets or maybe the heavier parts of the jeans, like the seams. 
On one or two I can see a imprint of the cloth on the heads.

"DuncanHynes"Thanks for doing this. If I climbed on the roof with a scoped rifle cops would show up in 2 minutes. It is interesting indeed the effects of the smooth twist.
LOL, that's funny!
The shinny ring on the pellet is different than expected, they were JSB 18.1gr, 5.53 head size. I was wondering if anyone else had the same experience with smooth twist barrels?

Raw wool fleece teased out or carded and filled into a 4 or 6 inch poly pipe to about 18 inches will stop all shots and allow you to closely inspect the undamaged pellets. Pillow stuffing teased out will do almost as good job'

Water penetration;
It's 13 years ago I did this to show that 5 ft of water can be penetrated horizontally.
Enjoy the read:
Yrrah
(Login Yrrah)
YF 5 feet of water penetrated by JSB .22 at 865 fps mv ... circa 2003 ... long.May 9 2012, 6:18 PM .22 Kodiaks do just a tad better with a slower start mv but a tad more KE and momentum.

Enjoy the read and if your interest is peaked do a SEARCH using "penetration +water +Yrrah" and start reading from the bottom of page 7 (last page) to keep the sequence of the development. ... Kind regards, Harry.

Quote from 2003: (Full post: http://www.network54.com/Forum/79537/thread/1059565507/The+Great+Aussie+Water+Trough+EXPLODES--another+sacred+myth+vapourized ).

The Great Aussie Water Trough EXPLODES..another sacred myth vaporized
July 30 2003 at 7:45 AM Yrrah (Login Yrrah)
YFOT
For those who don't follow my posts (understandable) but have stumbled in here, welcome . For pictures of the trough see post yesterday.

Assumption: Pointed pellets will out-penetrate round nosed pellets 'cause they're pointed, right? Everyone knows that 'cause it's always been so!

9:00 am the Great Trough taken out and the second partition reduced to floor level and all sealed up again. Didn't want any wall bounce backs.

3:45 pm the Great Trough wiped down and put away.
In between times Yrrah moved over half a ton of water in and out of Great Trough all for the serious business of myth testing.

Method (for those who care): RWS Excalibre charged to 160 bar. Shots #s 1,3,5,7,9, JSB Stratons nominal 16 grains, highest quality pointed pellets. Shots #s 2,4,6,8,10, JSB Exacts nominal 16 grains, highest quality round nose pellets. These pellets are virtually identical excepting for their heads.

Alternating the pellets in this way was done to take account of any velocity variations- see figures below.

As it is not possible to chronograph (in the conventional way) the POI velocity, due to a great issue of water at POI - following the water test the rifle was pressured back to 160 bar (from 140) and a ten shot string was chronographed alternating Stratons and Exacts as for the test. POI was at exactly six feet from muzzle to cling wrap window for the test and to the centre, middle, (between sensors) of the Chrony.

Each shot takes twenty+ minutes for previously stated reasons (see posts over the last couple of weeks, Search "Yrrah" or "Water Trough" will fill you in).

Results: In brief for those who have better things to do: Stratons (pointed) mean water penetration = 43.80 inches, SD 2.16449 inches. Exacts (round nosed) mean water penetration = 60.1 inches, SD = 3.44819 inches.

Collectively all the guessers can take a bow because the mean of the guesses for Straton penetration was ....43.58 inches!!! How close is that! Well done
.(Ihd I used your "same" guess and applied it to today's Exact result).

Now for the details:
Pointed JSB Straton shot #1 - 42.5 inches, #3 - 42.25, #5 - 44.5, #7 - 42.0, #9 - 47.75. Mean 43.80 inches, SD 2.16449 inches.

15.9 gr JSB Exacts shot #2 - 60.75 inches, #4 - 54.75, #6 - 63.75, #8 - 63.50, #10 - 57.75. Mean 60.1 inches, SD 3.44819 inches.

Velocity string: S = Straton, E = Exacts:
Straton Shot #1-S-860.40 fps, #3-S-857.70, #5-S-866.40, #7-S-862.50, #9-S-868.50, Mean 863.1 fps, SD 3.92071 fps.

Exacts Shot #2-E-866.0, #4-E-858.40, #6-E-868.80, #8-E- 862.80, #10-E-868.80, Mean 864.96 fps, SD 3.95656 fps.

Combined Velocity Mean = 864.03 fps, SD = 4.04698 fps.

Well there it is for all to critique and I welcome all comments. Any who wish to query water vesus meat as penetration mediums, I would ask to do a search on that.
My own position at this point in time is that they are similar in density: that I am happy to go with the Poncelet theory until I do my own research on that (it is coming); and therefore comparisons of penetration in water should give a good indication of comparative penetration in meat. Whether or not this position will stand depends on future controlled testing. Note I have written "comparative" not "absolute".

At this point I feel I owe it to my readers, and especially any who may use any of my figures or statements in discussion, to introduce myself as Harry G Fuller, fellow shooter of Wollongong and "Pinelea" (farm) Kentucky South, NSW, Australia.

Thanks to all. a contented Yrrah.
A note to Steve NC.
Use 4.75 inches as the drop from bore line to trough bottom as the doubled towel on the bottom is about 0.25 inch. Can't be more precise as the towel also has a life of its own.
The POI velocities here are immediately following the test and not as previously, when I have indicated "Say this or that" depending on when I had last tested. This last week I have had the rifle down to under 12 fpe checking consistency at that level for future tests, and yesterday restored it to the above level for this test. Have fun with the figures and let's know what you come up with.
Oh yes, the spin drop test: My method there was less than it could have been. When I did that subjective thing I failed to account for temperature difference between when the putty was in the water and when the drop test was done at heated room temp. I re-did it after water submersion a couple of days ago and I would not be surprised if the drop required to make those dings was more in the order of 5 feet (17 fps)rather than the "One to three, say two" that I threw across at the time. Still too subjective but wanted to clear that up. Regards Harry

Pellets shot through ST barrels do not conform to the couple of inches of rifling at the muzzle. The pellets skid through the rifling and show the five "flats" you have seen.
Actual spin rate for 15.9 gr JSBs from the 1:16 inch twist rate of the rifling is not 1:16 inches but from my test barrel was 1:64 inches spin rate from 880 fps mv.
The spin rate will vary depending upon the mv and the particular pellet weight. For example, my .25 cal ST barrel will deliver 1:75 inches for 25.4 gr JSB Kings at 890 fps and over 1:90 inches for 31 gr Baracudas from slower mv.
Regards, Harry..

As I wrote above, you won't do better for undamaged result than raw wool fleece teased out or carded and filled into a 4 or 6 inch poly pipe to about 18 inches. It will stop all shots and allow you to closely inspect the undamaged pellets. The pellets will be found encased in a ball of wool with a trailing thread of twisted wool, easy to locate.
Pillow stuffing teased out will do almost as good job and may be more readily available to you :>) ... Harry.