• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Catastrophic Tank Failure

1589259815_14375348755eba2e27b0ac48.05676490.jpeg
Has anyone here seen any catastrophic tank failure? I’ve seen some of the crud these hand pumps create with all the moisture they bring in...gnarly. When you open the tank it is all that Greyish Gunk. It compromises the tank and hence the reason most manufacturers don’t warrant the rifle’s tank if a hand pump has been used.

So, the above being stated, has anyone else seen catastrophic failure for an onboard tank? Post the pictures if you got them, and why not any tank failure pics in general. If you have pics of the gunk I’m talking about with a hand pump please post those too. A friend of mine has a bore sight and we used it once on a tank, so maybe some of you have done this as well.

The above picture is just a stock one and is not my tank. I’m more interested in the cylinders onboard a rifle as people use and abuse them.

Thanks, Columbo

I have no pics to share. But, I will say that in the 15+ years I have owned, shot, and perused forums and post I haven’t seen any failures in our sport.

Like with almost anything, routine maintenance will help avoid issues such as the one in the pic. It should have been no surprise to the owner of that tank considering the amount of corrosion on the inside and outside.

NOT...a SCUBA tank..! Just a "little" too heavy..!

It's (was) an industrial tank for one of the many gasses that one can buy. Like for holding the various welding gases. The material is of normal thickness for that type tank.

But...the fitting on the top of the tank suggests that the tank was put out of service on it's last pressure test, because no one would use a fitting like that on a high pressure tank. Plus it looks like it's been around a while (as in...beat up). The way the gasses that are put into these tanks would not carry much if any moisture to cause the interior surface rust. Then someone possibly tried to refill to the original pressure causing what's seen in the picture.

Outer surface dings, cresese, etc. can also cause what's seen when pressured up.

Mike

Oh that is a stock photo. I don’t do hand pumps or box compressors, but I’ve seen the moisture some have in their tanks. Thought I’d see if anyone else is ever concerned about it. 

Here is an example: 

https://youtu.be/KWzGUvo4X9M

I’m a fan of the ExpertHPA store, so no surprise he of all people are talking about tank compromise and crud. 

Seeing the damage of the lifeboat i wonder if the botle was tucked away under the bilge into the constant brine or it's fumes.

That'll rot away steel at a cheetas pace without an zink anode.

So at an outflagged ship with next to no (safety) laws governing it, that is not an rare issue. Seeing it though is rare, as noone wants to flaunt their falts!

What is interesting is that carbon fiber bottles as we encounter them has a 0 fault rate regarding normal use. Yes with severe defects applied to them and submitted to 3x the normal pressure, sure CF bottles will fail. But submitted to daily life they are stronger than the spirit of a live chicken running downtown Bagdad midday!

Seeing the damage of the lifeboat i wonder if the botle was tucked away under the bilge into the constant brine or it's fumes.

That'll rot away steel at a cheetas pace without an zink anode.

So at an outflagged ship with next to no (safety) laws governing it, that is not an rare issue. Seeing it though is rare, as noone wants to flaunt their falts!

What is interesting is that carbon fiber bottles as we encounter them has a 0 fault rate regarding normal use. Yes with severe defects applied to them and submitted to 3x the normal pressure, sure CF bottles will fail. But submitted to daily life they are stronger than the spirit of a live chicken running downtown Bagdad midday!

Yeah good point. Speaking about this series of posts in general, I think there isn’t cause for concern when it comes to safety as we have over engineered most of what we use, and on top of that our hydro tests for DOT are sufficient or really more than sufficient. Still, I wouldn’t use a non DOT certified Chinese bottle, and I wouldn’t want to use anything like a hand pump. Even if it doesn’t have a catastrophic incident, I’d rather not be using a compromised bottle or tank, and I’d rather just spend the extra bit to buy a USA made tank and treat it right. 

I really thought more people would have bore sight pictures, but maybe someone will add some later.

On the example picture, that was the site I pulled it off, and if you want to find an image you can always reverse image search on Google. If you would like to learn how to do that there are some great videos on YouTube like this:

https://youtu.be/opc7aMJszng