Castle Nut Tool

I've used a lot of different castle nut specific tools. I was unimpressed as a whole. I did a web search and found someone who suggested a specific Snap-On spanner. I found the equivalent on Amazon, it arrived today. I tightened up the castle nut on my buck-rail notos kit easy as pie. I wish I had this the last 20 years.

Eowpower Chrome Vanadium Adjustable C Spanner Hook Wrench Tool - 3/4-2"​

I've used a lot of different castle nut specific tools. I was unimpressed as a whole. I did a web search and found someone who suggested a specific Snap-On spanner. I found the equivalent on Amazon, it arrived today. I tightened up the castle nut on my buck-rail notos kit easy as pie. I wish I had this the last 20 years.

Eowpower Chrome Vanadium Adjustable C Spanner Hook Wrench Tool - 3/4-2"​

I wonder if that will break a airforce factory valve.

I spent 46 years in manufacturing, hands on, in machining, welding, heat treating, fabricating and fixture building. Probably made a couple hundred special tools for machine maintenance and personal hobby stuff. You definitely found a handy tool for spanner nuts, I’ve used a number of sizes just like the one you bought.
I made a tool for removing the carbon fiber tank valve off of an FX bottle gun. For whatever reason, the check valve in it dislodged and after filling (off of the gun) I unscrew the fiil adapter and all the air dumped. Had to find out why.
To get the valve off I just refused to use the common channel lock/ vise grip method. So I made a tool that slipped over the valve and had a hole drilled in it to go into the spanner holes in the tank valve. Clamp tool in bench vise, insert tank valve, align holes, insert shank of drill and tighten or loosen the valve. Worked perfect, and for the anally inclined, did not leave a mark on the valve.
If you have your own shop or work in one, it’s a piece of cake to make one.

IMG_1759.jpeg

IMG_1757.jpeg

IMG_1758.jpeg

IMG_1760.jpeg

Last edited:
I just googled hook spanner wrench and in the link it showed a bunch of real low priced fixed style hook spanners. Pin spanners will work on castle (slotted style) nuts too but can pop out easily unless you hold it firmly.
Also, if you go to McMaster-Carr and in their search type SPANNER WRENCHES it will pop up a ton of pin and hook spanners.
I was always partial to the dedicated size ones as they were the least likely to mar the finish and or pop out. When I built panels for Swagelok, analness was 100% required. So much so that when we assembled a panel and a fitting or valve or any Swagelok component that had the Swagelok name or S on it, it had to be oriented upright if at all possible, regardless if no one would ever see it. We had to be experts at removing the tiniest scratches.

Last edited:
Reactions: jarmstrong