Casting Equipment

Most of the major suppliers of reloading equipment have bullet casting equipment also. If you can find someone who is experienced at it, I would recommend talking to them. Bullet casting can be interesting, but it has some risks too. In addition to the furnace, you will need a resizer, molds, bullet lube, and a supply of metals to mix the alloy. You will need a well ventilated work space, and be extremely cautious in handling the molten alloy. All things considered, I would buy the bullets/slugs if a supply of what you want is available. 

Depends. If you are shooting big bore, casting is the only way to go if you plan on shooting a lot. A pot, a mould and lead is all you need to start. I agree if you are shooting smaller than 30 cal, you might be better off buying slugs. Especially if you haven’t found a slug your gun likes. Once you find something your gun likes then you would have a better idea of which mould to start out with. I see you are in Mi. So am I. You are welcome to come over and see what’s involved. Pretty simple and fun too. 

Casting can be very fruitful in my opinion. If your willing to shop around and buy used you can get into casting for a reasonable price. I for one got my equipment over the course of a couple years and bought used. You will need a furnace, mold, and lead as others have stated. You will also need a ladle to flux and clean your lead. You will also need it to fill your mold if you go the cheaper route and don't get a bottom pour pot. You will also need a good set of flexible heavy gloves. And you might want some form of respirator. This is a very debated topic among casters if it is needed or not, but I choose to wear one out of precaution. All this being said I just started casting and am still learning a lot. My current setup I can cast .25 and .30 caliber pellets along with .457 roundball and two different slugs for a total price of $500 because I shopped around and picked things up here and there. Hope this helps.

Reactions: Ezana4CE
I would second the suggestion of looking into swaging your slugs. Air rifle slugs can be a soft alloy, well suited to swaging. Depending on your cost of lead wire for swaging, compared to casting material (used wheel weights can be a component), you will probably find swaging to be more expensive, but also a much cleaner, safer option. 

In my opinion and based on my experience going down the casting rabbit hole...

Casting has a place for the big bore airgunner shooting bullets.

Casting does not have a place for the competitive pellet shooter.

Casting MIGHT have a place for a pellet shooting prepper. 

On the pellet side, I was unable to cast pellets that shoot more accurately than JSB. And it wasn't for lack of uniformity as they weighed out quite consistently. 

After getting that off my chest....and to answer your question, you really don't need much. An electric casting pot like the one's sold by Lee, as well as a ladle and of course a mold. NOE offers a large variety of molds, in caliber and projectile shape. I've collected more lead than I ever want to cast just from occasionally emptying my pellet traps. 

Buying is easier and cheaper. Casting requests time and patience to learn the art. It's been proven cast pellets/slugs can be as accurate as commercial availability ones. 

I started casting my own to make a softer pellet from pure, which would never survive shipping. 

A basic setup would be a mold, pot, and thermometer.

...... It's been proven cast pellets/slugs can be as accurate as commercial availability ones. 

Where has it been proven? 

The casting section over on GTA is pretty active and I asked for some reports of long range accuracy of cast pellets made from NOE molds a while back. 

https://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/index.php?topic=190033.0#msg156195590

One guy said he's made some hunting shots @ 70 yards but that was about it. 

I've personally not had the accuracy from cast pellets that I get from JSB pellets, and that is from numerous high end guns with known good barrels. 

I'm not against NOE or cast pellets and I'm willing to be open minded that somebody somewhere can get them to shoot cherry picked moa groups @ 100 yards like pellets can....but, "Show me the money."

I only have one mold, for 25 caliber pellets, it came from NOE and cost about $100. I bought Lee handles for it, I think, a Lee furnace and a Lyman dipper. I bought a 10 lb hunk of lead. I can make pellets that look as good or better than JSB or H&N pellets and are at least as consistent in weight. But neither of my 25s likes them much. My P35 will put them into about a 3/4 inch group at 25 yards so I could use them to take a squirrel but it puts H&N FTTs into a 1/4 inch group at the same distance when I do my part. So I use the commercial pellets.

Lee equipment is at the low end for price and sometimes for quality. The dipper looks like junk, for instance. But a lot of it works well and I think most people seem to like their Lee furnaces. They also make some molds but not for air guns. They might work for a big bore.

If you can find somebody with a mold you are interested in I would try to buy or beg some projectiles from them before buying the mold. Nice to know your gun likes them before investing in the mold. I think NOE molds are very high quality but that does not guarantee your gun will like the projectile they make.

I fail to understand the need to shoot at 100 yards with a pellet. Manufacturers recommend a max of 50 meters. 

Like bullets, pellet design will dictate maximum distance. Noe molded pellets have a flat point...

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/xtreme-field-target-feb-2022-match-report/

Out west there's plenty reason for long range pellet shooting. And not just the above competition, I do a lot of long range pesting as well. 

The meplat on NOE pellets isn't what's keeping them from being accurate at long ranges. I sized down some .22/18.1 gr pellets to .20 and the sizing down process created a meplat and theyd still group into a couple inches @95 yards, something the NOE cast pellets wont do for me. NSA slugs also essentially have meplats, as did most of the .45/70 bullets in the powder burner world. Supposedly many thousands of buffalo were culled at long range from that caliber, and it also supposedly held some sort of 1000yard long range record for a very long time. I think there's even comps still taking place where they shoot at big steel buffalo silhouettes at hundreds of yards, using a meplat bullet. 

I have been casting bullets for my firearms for many many years. My advice is that if you have not casted at all do NOT now get into it. It is dirty, hazardous, and time consuming. Even more important is that you will never match the accuracy of factory made bullets.

I got sucked into casting gradually and started with round balls for black powder firearms. I then bought more and more molds for more and more different guns. I now have molds for rifles and pistols from .30 up to .45 cal. I guess I could say I enjoy it and like that I can make my own bullets, but it is a lot of work to get set up and if I had to start over I would just buy bullets. You can save money if you get the lead for free(which I do) but even that is a lot of work and hazardous.

Rick B.