Cast pellets from soldering tin?

I was wondering... SHTF scenario, or in a location with no post service/gun shop, you ran out of pellets... but you have a mold to cast them and soldering tin.

technician-repairing-the-computers-circuit-board-by-soldering.webp

Is it viable? will it damage or dirty the barrel?

Today I was working on a old Bimota Suzuki 750 that needs to have an ecu upgrade(I'm a racing motorcycle electronic technician) and in the workshop I was they were using 60%lead and 40%tin soldering compound that's for high temperature purposes. They were with a lot of issues because of the "cold" soldering but lukily I got with me my 40% lead and 60% tin compound that's the best for electronic purposes. Yes there is the flux inside but it's easy to remove. I think that's possible to have a proper casting using a steele cast.

Today I was working on a old Bimota Suzuki 750 that needs to have an ecu upgrade(I'm a racing motorcycle electronic technician) and in the workshop I was they were using 60%lead and 40%tin soldering compound that's for high temperature purposes. They were with a lot of issues because of the "cold" soldering but lukily I got with me my 40% lead and 60% tin compound that's the best for electronic purposes. Yes there is the flux inside but it's easy to remove. I think that's possible to have a proper casting using a steele cast.
Must be a treat to work on a Bimota. I remember drueling over tube frames from Bimota and Rickman back when I was riding tricked out cafe UJM's. And later riding and roadracing Suzuki GSXR's. I'm not sure if Bimota is still in it or not. Crashed so many times on the track and street I'd be afraid to ride one anymore. It hurts too much. But I loved it.
Have you tried silver bearing solder? It's a little better. My father was an RCA dealer beginning in the late 50's and operated an electronics repair shop as well. He had served in the navy WW2 and Korea and became an electronics instructor. He had an incredible mind and a very interesting man. Dad taught me to use silver bearing solder on the old clicker tuners on tv sets because they had problems with cracked solder joints due to the stress of cranking the channel knobs and a flexible circuit board.
Did a Kawasaki just win SBK? And Johnny Rhea barely seen.............
Can they stop BAUTISTA?

Must be a treat to work on a Bimota. I remember drueling over tube frames from Bimota and Rickman back when I was riding tricked out cafe UJM's. And later riding and roadracing Suzuki GSXR's. I'm not sure if Bimota is still in it or not. Crashed so many times on the track and street I'd be afraid to ride one anymore. It hurts too much. But I loved it.
Have you tried silver bearing solder? It's a little better. My father was an RCA dealer beginning in the late 50's and operated an electronics repair shop as well. He had served in the navy WW2 and Korea and became an electronics instructor. He had an incredible mind and a very interesting man. Dad taught me to use silver bearing solder on the old clicker tuners on tv sets because they had problems with cracked solder joints due to the stress of cranking the channel knobs and a flexible circuit board.
Did a Kawasaki just win SBK? And Johnny Rhea barely seen.............
Can they stop BAUTISTA?
We may talk about WSBK...

IMG_20240314_155547_502.jpg

Can't argue with the experts!
View attachment 445517
Nice picture! I'm not an expert in casting bullets but I was just replying to something is not completely thrue: in Europe, as often happens elswere, there is a restriction by law and then corrections and exceptions because there are not alternatives for some tecnical needs.
Many companies are selling lead&tin products as RS Components : https://us.rs-online.com/view/search/?keyword=lead tin solder&pg=1
(Italy: https://it.rs-online.com/web/c/?searchTerm=stagno+piombo+per+saldatura )

Last edited:
I used to cast hundreds of fishing lures from nearly pure tin to pure lead and anything mix in between. My basic observations.
Tin is 70% the weight of the same volume of lead. Tin melts before lead. According to H&N their Green pellets are pure tin.

That's interesting... but if tin is harder, can it damage or at least wear off the barrel quickly than lead?

And what about dirt and coating? I am tempted to make a mold from kids clay and pour soldering tin inside to cast a few experimental pellets, but I don't want to ruin or dirt my barrels.