Cast and powder coated bullets in modified benjamin bulldog 357

User @Greg_E sent me some home cast and powder coated bullets for 3D print ammo box sizing. He was also nice enough to let me shoot some.

I did a test print in a 3x3 configuration, and brought nine home for testing. They are 155 grains using the Lyman 356637 mold.

Shot out of a modified Benjamin bulldog 357.

c1.1651113877.jpg

2.1651113887.jpg

3.1651113896.jpg

It took me three shots to get the hammer spring strength correct, and after that here are my results (I filled the air after the 4th or 5th shot, I cannot remember, and the first three shots not shown did not have the correct hammer strength):

1.1651114209.png

From what I understand, powder coating will mean less cleaning, so I might have to give it a try.

Do you have any info on the .357 slugs he used ,mold design,size ect.. what kind of accuracy did you get ? Powder coating is easy once you learn the basics .If you mess up or don't like the way they turn out just throw them back in the pot and try again. Check out castboolits.com they have a powder coating and casting section . Lots of great info there. Good luck .

what kind of accuracy did you get ?

What distance were you shooting and how was the accuracy as compared to bare lead slugs?

Sorry guys I forgot to answer that. I was shooting at about 5 yards, no accuracy testing other than I was hitting the same hole every time. At 5 yards I don't think that means much. I am looking for somewhere to shoot in MN if you know of anybody. This gun is not really backyard friendly.

I did some more testing of these 155 powder coated bullets from @Greg_E during lunch, but it was after I was testing some other lighter bullets, so the hammer spring is both different than before and unrecorded. Also the last shot was after the air pressure was below the regulated pressure. I am not sure why that first shot was low.

2.1651189189.png

The following were for 135 Grain Griffin DB HP but it seemed no matter what hammer cap rotation I was wasting a lot of air. I think the following string had the hammer cap a lot further out than I should have had, but it was giving me the best results.

1.1651188969.png