• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Cascade system completed and a ??

1566777798_11857832745d6321c6916b03.18652931_20190825_183911.jpg
Carrie, and Snake brought me home another HPA storage tank from when they were up to Trenier shooting.

We got the cascading sorted out for the 2 big tanks, and also sorted out the cascade to fill 2 carbon fiber tanks at the same time from either the storage tanks, or compressor.

Of course this brings up a question that now weighs heavily on my mind, and that is how long can the Daystate LC110 be run at one time.

All our airguns are 250 bar fills, with one exception which is a Bantam that tops off at 230bar. This means the carbon fiber tanks never get below 175 bar, and since we tether with external regulators at 200 bar the tanks rarely fall below that.

I bought the very first Alkin Mariner W31 compressor NSA sold that Tibor posted the link to and It can run all day and since it is a 4500 PSI SCUBA/SCBA compressor it is built to run for years.

I had a Shoebox for years but got tired of running my shop compressors to death. then I had gone through several of the cheap 'disposable' Chinese compressors then the bigger two cylinder Air Venturi (which did 18 fills of 1 hour SCBA tank then the high pressure cylinder split in half and cracked COMPLETELY OFF)

now with a 'real' compressor I fill without cooling water or run time concerns and can fill and fill and fill. [man, I am popular now, haha]

Worth the investment and if I had only known then what I know now I would not have wasted money on those smaller, cheaper compressors.

If you have 3 or 4 (or more or a club or airgun range) pneumatic shooters in the area it's worth making a 'group buy' and sharing it if you can't afford one by yourself like I did.

I bought the very first Alkin Mariner W31 compressor NSA sold that Tibor posted the link to and It can run all day and since it is a 4500 PSI SCUBA/SCBA compressor it is built to run for years.

I had a Shoebox for years but got tired of running my shop compressors to death. then I had gone through several of the cheap 'disposable' Chinese compressors then the bigger two cylinder Air Venturi (which did 18 fills of 1 hour SCBA tank then the high pressure cylinder split in half and cracked COMPLETELY OFF)

now with a 'real' compressor I fill without cooling water or run time concerns and can fill and fill and fill. [man, I am popular now, haha]

Worth the investment and if I had only known then what I know now I would not have wasted money on those smaller, cheaper compressors.

If you have 3 or 4 (or more or a club or airgun range) pneumatic shooters in the area it's worth making a 'group buy' and sharing it if you can't afford one by yourself like I did.

Seems like sound advice. I've been using a Yong Heng without issue for quite some time now but did view it as disposable from the beginning (it's still running). But a quality dive compressor seemingly should serve a person or group for a long time and be easy to use. Maybe not an option for everyone but probably the way to go if one can swing it.

You are going to toast your compressor with a cascade system. It is not continuous duty and that has nothing to do with actual run time. It has to do with the amount of time at high pressure. In order to make those compressors cheaper and portable, they had to reduce the size of the crank and bearings. While the compressor is designed to go to 4500 psi, it can only do that for one scuba or SCBA bottle at a time. By putting it on a cascade, you will be subjecting it to the stresses coming from high pressure for an extended time. While I do have a couple of dive shops using their MCH6 on cascade systems, I am also selling them bearings, rods, piston pins and an occasional crank shaft ever so often. I would give your system two years before it needs big money repairs.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but this continuous duty vs intermittent duty thing is something that kind of sticks in my craw. Most compressor dealers don't even understand what they are selling or what they can or can't do and why.

Rant concluded.

Ray Contreras - Owner - CompressorStuff.com