Benjamin Carry handle for the Bulldog

I have had my Bulldog longer than any Airgun I own.

It is tuned for power with large ports, a Pitbull steel cocking handle to compress the Pitbul power spring and a few extra psi, it duplicates the 38 spl Alphabet org lead HP load at over 280 fpe with NOE 152 grain cast HP bullets, accurate and with the exception of a short stint with a failed Ti cylinder, which would not seal, and a balanced valve from JSAR that should have been stillborn, it is utterly reliable.

Handling with that slick stock and no extended barrel after I converted it to a carbine a few years ago really made picking it up it problematic. I recently returned it back into a rifle but tha only helped a little.

I considered a AR carrying handles but was unsure of the quality of the parts I was considering.

For me and my arthritic thumbs it is a Bitch to carry, and worried bout the safety issue of dropping it. I find it slick with sharp edges, best way to carry so far it is with a single point sling.

Until today that is.

I remembered back to my misspent youth carrying a FNFAL shorty and the carrying handle it wore and decided to try one. Found one for $26.00 that attaches to the piccatihey rail he it solved years of carrying problems instantly.

Regards,

Roachcreek

Carrying handle folded with view of toes :)
image.jpg

Carrying handle deployed

image.jpg

@Roachcreek Your handle looks pretty slick. Is that what you use to carry it while hunting?Is there a reason why you avoid using a sling to carry your Bulldog? For the slick portion in regards to the grip I like to wrap it in camo tape. As for the sharp edges, I take fine-grit sand cloth to my clamshell edges around the grip, trigger guard, and foregrip. That has worked well for me as far as preventing cuts on the hands.

I have never hunted it. I do use a single point at times, but the carrying handle makes it much easier for me to pickup with my arthritic hands. I used to use the rubber slip on grips, but that means it has to be removed to disassemble which I did not care for, the tape is cheaper and easier to remove or replace.

Only trouble I have had with the clam shell stock has been a assembly screw nut pulling out, I bought a replacement package of the screws and nuts a few years back, but only had that one problem.

I think the biggest problem this platform has had over the years was with the first reviewers who did not know how to use slugs in Airguns.

I see that the forums spelling correction feature has bit me again, the first posts where I had remarked about the alphabet load, should have read Alphabet org load.

In most of my cast bullet Airguns over the years, my goal was to duplicate starting cast bullet loads for firearms, the Bulldog which originally was thought to be a 200 fpe airgun, with modifications is now knocking on the door of 300 fpe with MOA accuracy.

Regards,

Roachcreek

Last edited:
I just got into airguns last year, I borrowed my friends bulldog to try it out on deer.

I was surprised at their reactions to the sound of the gun and being shot with it. Most just jump a little bit, run a few steps and look back at where they were standing when they got shot or they just drop their heads and stand there. Then they just fall over dead. it’s strange but I like that they don’t normally run off far if at all. I actually shot my first airgun buck twice because he just stood there after the first shot with his head down. I thought I had missed so I shot again. I found both slugs about 2” apart under the skin on the far side. He did run after the second shot but not far. I have not had one make it out of the field yet.

Well, I am hooked now and he offered to sell me his gun as a package deal. Basically a stock bulldog .357 fired maybe 30 times with a moderator, sling, canvas carry bag, 5 boxes of the Nielsen slugs, scuba tank fill adapter, and a small HPA travel compressor all for $800. Good deal or pass? I am leaning towards getting it. Just wanted to confirm with you guys.

I want to cast my own ammo for this gun but not sure what mold to get. The more I look into this the more unsure I get about casting. I see that it says it is a .357. I see people say .35 jsb pellets shoot very well in it, confirmed. I don’t see any pellet casting molds available. I see people shoot 9mm slugs in it and complain about speed and accuracy. see people say a .358 round that they cast for a .357 mag got lodged in the barrel. I see people say a airgun does not have the power needed to send the normally sized projectile down a fully rifled barrel unless it’s lead but not hard cast lead and that pure lead is to soft for good penetration.

I just want a reliable pass throughs at 75 yards or less if I do my job and put it behind the shoulder blade so far I only have had one pass through with a 82gn pellet at 60 yards. Any advice would be appreciated thanks.

@Rex1977 If that stock Bulldog produces enough energy to legally take deer in your state, I’d hop on that deal considering all that’s included, especially that little compressor and SCBA tank. Keep in mind that the .357 Bulldog appears to have been phased out and replaced with the Bulldog M357.

I definitely have seen deer run after shooting a Bulldog, then stop, turn around, and come right back in. I have not seen one just stand there after being shot. Mine run and/or jump.

Oh, I see.

I will find another thread to read then, sorry.
@Rex1977 Feel free to read what you like across the forums. There are plenty of threads discussing the Benjamin Bulldog. Just keep in mind that when commenting on threads, if you find yourself deviating off topic make it a point not to goo too far on a tangent and bring the conversation back around to the topic(s) in the original post. In this thread the subject is a carry handle for the Bulldog.