CARM magazines problem for FX Crown

Hello everyone,

I just received two new magazines that I ordered from CARM to fit my .177cal FX Crown MK II. One is the Micro Size Mag and the other one is the Slug Mag. The Micro fits really ( really ) tight, so much so that I have only used it one time. The Slug Mag will NOT insert passed the “O”ring and I have to force it up to that point. I sent an email to CARM and his reply was “they are tested on my rifle before sending g. Please check if your barrel is set little bit too much backward, that is the only reason that could cause that problem (happened few times with some customers)”.

My FX factory mag fits perfect and I am hesitant to make any changes to this rifle. I am concerned that if I move the barrel forward enough for the Slug Mag to fit, then the FX factory mag would be too loose?

Has anyone experienced this and or have any suggestions.

Thank you and have a great day,
ThomasT

Hello everyone,

I just received two new magazines that I ordered from CARM to fit my .177cal FX Crown MK II. One is the Micro Size Mag and the other one is the Slug Mag. The Micro fits really ( really ) tight, so much so that I have only used it one time. The Slug Mag will NOT insert passed the “O”ring and I have to force it up to that point. I sent an email to CARM and his reply was “they are tested on my rifle before sending g. Please check if your barrel is set little bit too much backward, that is the only reason that could cause that problem (happened few times with some customers)”.

My FX factory mag fits perfect and I am hesitant to make any changes to this rifle. I am concerned that if I move the barrel forward enough for the Slug Mag to fit, then the FX factory mag would be too loose?

Has anyone experienced this and or have any suggestions.

ThomasT

Carm mags are some of the best in the business. Each rifle is definitely different and he makes his mags to fit a tight tolerance, no loosey goosey with his stuff. I would just move the barrel a bit forward and test for yourself to be honest, its not terribly difficult to do.

Reactions: jmohme and ThomasT
Carm mags are some of the best in the business. Each rifle is definitely different and he makes his mags to fit a tight tolerance, no loosey goosey with his stuff. I would just move the barrel a bit forward and test for yourself to be honest, its not terribly difficult to do.

I have 4 mags that he made for my Diana and they fit and work perfect, so I was surprised that these new 2 mags do not fit.

ThomasT

One of the "Pro Tricks" used with FX rifles is to put a magazine into the slot when putting your barrel back into the action (after changing, cleaning, etc.). Then only push it into the action until the brass face 'seats' lightly against the magazine. Pull out and replace the magazine to assure a smooth fit, and then tighten the barrel screws.

Early on, not having done this, there was a time when I couldn't even get a factory mag to fit after re-fitting the barrel.

Hopefully this will resolve your issue, and it is an easy fix. I, too, am a firm believer in the quality of CARM products.

Reactions: ThomasT
One of the "Pro Tricks" used with FX rifles is to put a magazine into the slot when putting your barrel back into the action (after changing, cleaning, etc.). Then only push it into the action until the brass face 'seats' lightly against the magazine. Pull out and replace the magazine to assure a smooth fit, and then tighten the barrel screws.

Early on, not having done this, there was a time when I couldn't even get a factory mag to fit after re-fitting the barrel.

Hopefully this will resolve your issue, and it is an easy fix. I, too, am a firm believer in the quality of CARM products.
Hello TMH,

It is not a problem for me to "adjust" the barrel so that the CARM will fit OK, but then my factory Mag would not be a "good" fit. I use "good" fit meaning it would not be as close as it is now. This rifle is shooting soooo good right now that I am afraid to mess with it in any way.

I look at the inner face on the CARM with a magnifying glass and there is a very slight ridge on the outside edge and I will use some 2000 grit paper on a glass surface to remove it. Maybe this will be the trick.

Thank you for the help,
ThomasT

PS: oh I almost forgot, I believe you are the person that gave me the contact info to CARM and I ordered 4 mags for my Diana and they work perfect, so thank you again :)

OK see attached photo. There was a slight ridge on the outside edge on both sides of the opening that I removed and made level with the “inner face”. This now allows the “Cover” to fit flush on the Mag and it is a firm fit in the rifle, but it does go in. I loaded it with some Knockout Slugs and it operated smoothly and then with some Monster pellets and they also worked OK.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and help,
ThomasT

CARM-1A.jpg

Hello everyone,

OK as a follow up on my problem with the two (2) CARM Mags. After taking the very good information that was shared with me on how to best fix the problem, here is what I did. I removed the scope and the shroud and loosened all five (5) set screws holding the barrel in place. Then I slipped the barrel forward until the brass end was no longer within the breach opening. I slipped the factory Mag in the opening and pushed it slowly all the way through and out the other side. I then tried the CARM Mini Mag and it was tight but went all the way through. Next I tried the CARM Slug Mag and it woould NOT go all the way, it was too tight. This Mag was not of the correct dimensions. So I used the 2000 grit paper on glass and slowly worked both sides down until It would comfortably fit into the opening. Then re-set the barrel and tightened all the set screws. Loaded up both modified Mags with pellets and successfully shot all the pellets.

I'm not upset with CARM ( stuff happens ) and will surely buy more Mags from them.

I do appreciate the great group of folks here on this Forum that love this hobby / sport and are so willing to help when the need arises.

Be safe and have a great day,
ThomasT

CARM-1A.jpg

CARM-2A.jpg

CARM-3A.jpg

Reactions: _CTAIRGUNNER_
Hello everyone,

OK as a follow up on my problem with the two (2) CARM Mags. After taking the very good information that was shared with me on how to best fix the problem, here is what I did. I removed the scope and the shroud and loosened all five (5) set screws holding the barrel in place. Then I slipped the barrel forward until the brass end was no longer within the breach opening. I slipped the factory Mag in the opening and pushed it slowly all the way through and out the other side. I then tried the CARM Mini Mag and it was tight but went all the way through. Next I tried the CARM Slug Mag and it woould NOT go all the way, it was too tight. This Mag was not of the correct dimensions. So I used the 2000 grit paper on glass and slowly worked both sides down until It would comfortably fit into the opening. Then re-set the barrel and tightened all the set screws. Loaded up both modified Mags with pellets and successfully shot all the pellets.

I'm not upset with CARM ( stuff happens ) and will surely buy more Mags from them.

I do appreciate the great group of folks here on this Forum that love this hobby / sport and are so willing to help when the need arises.

ThomasT

View attachment 269426

View attachment 269427

View attachment 269428

Great update! thanks a bunch!

Reactions: ThomasT
Hello everyone,

I sent this report via an email to CARM not as a complaint but as an information aid in case he has other customers with a like situation. Darko replied back almost right away and requested more photos and thank me for helping. Now folks, that is a manufacture that actually cares about his product and his customers.

ThomasT

I just received my .25cal Crown mag and single shot loader. The magazine seems to be a good fit but, the single shot loader is very tight. Not impossible to install though.
Hello Corvid_hunter

I made those slight modifications to both of my Mags and now they fit perfect and they work perfect. I have used them several times without any problems. I also moved my barrel forward by just hundreds of an inch so that the Factory Mag and the CARM Mag both fit OK.

ThomasT