Card splitting challenge

OK
I took the FWB601 out.
I shot about 10 shots to remind myself how to shoot it.
Then 12 more to split (???) the four cards.
Not too bad, offhand at 10 meters, peeps/aperture/Eagle Eye.
RWS 8.2 WC:

FullSizeRender.jpeg

Last edited:
I recently bought another (my 3rd) PRod.
It came with a folding stock which I removed (ich).
Someone at Crosman screwed the pooch.
This bad boy will shoot right along with the 1701 and the 1720t (I have owned them, too).
after shooting 40 shots to sight in my ancient 2.5-10X HAWKE Advantage scope, I put my card holder out at 20 yards from the bench and loaded up 16 Crosman 14.3 Premier Domes.
All 16 shots hit the cards, albeit none of them cut the cards in half:

IMG_2014.jpeg

IMG_2013.jpeg

IMG_2012.jpeg

First attempt. Basement range
Distance: 11 yards
Gun: Daystate Huntsman Revere .177 unregulated
Ammo: JSB 10.3 Exact Heavy
Scope: Athlon Talos SFP 3-12
Platform: Innorel Tripod with Clamping ball head
Disregard the mad scientist man cave basement. We have a ton of stuff down there.

2pQIQexh.jpg

czgiqtUh.jpg

Cooler with a rifle rated steel plate inside. The two shots down low were from a sight in of a different rifle so I recycled the paper.
xNbFa0Oh.jpg

First and only shot got it.
kqTKvzph.jpg

6jGrzNqh.jpg

It looks like 2 shots but I think the pellet turned and hit the paper sideways while going through the card. The side lighting helped as I could line the crosshair up with the edge of the shadow.
"Disregard the mad scientist man cave basement. We have a ton of stuff down there." nope ! i can see some floor , tons of room .

Fly and I had a great Saturday morning. A break in the heat and absolutely no wind. We decided to shoot each of the first three rows (Spades, Hearts & Clubs) with a different pcp and at 30 yds. The cards were then moved out to 50 yds and one of the three rifles was chosen to shoot the final row (Diamonds). .22 cal was used throughout.
Side notes: When time allows this week I will add a 2nd photo looking directly at the boards and add the rifles used.
This was the 1st time we had experienced near misses accompanied with skid marks. The card would be intact but a very distinct gray mark is left. You can see some of this on my 6 of Hearts and 6 & 8 of Clubs.
Might be the higher quality cards purchased from $Tree vs. $General. 😀

20230819_115712.jpg

Last edited:
Like the guy who claimed he was splitting cards at 200..
He couldn’t see the cards, he was aiming at the circles.
No matter.
It’s fun.
It’s just like aiming for an eye on a fly with an accurately scoped rifle.

Try it sometime. Smear some honey or syrup on a blank piece of paper affixed to a target frame at about 20-30 yards.

When the fly lands on the bait, take it out by aiming at an eye with an accurate air gun with a good scope. You will be surprised at how fun and easy it is.

I almost forgot: a fly has between 3000-6000 eyes. Just pick one and you’ll be surprised at how easy it is to hit.

After going all out last week with displaying an entire deck of cards ("Holy Cow"), I found suitable scraps to make devices to hold 13 cards. Just simple blocks squeezed together with pinch bolts at each end. The large red frame is serving well for temporary mounting but something else will be in the making. These could certainly be made to hold less cards and if anyone is interested in seeing the details, I will be happy to share. Just send a PM.
These cards were shot by Flytraps & I with FX Impacts, 700 mm, .22 at 30 yards.
We moved them out to 50 yds but were not hitting with the same success rate.
Go Braves!

20230827_192702.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Steelontarget