Card splitting challenge

In the 70's, i was on a Army demo team shooting 1911 .45's to impress the public with our skills.
One of our trick shots was splitting a card at 15 yards with the govt issued hand gun.

When I first joined the team, it seemed like quite a challenge, but the team leader shared that a .45 cal handgun throws a projectile that is almost 1/2" wide. While the target appears to be a 1/16" wide mosquito from a distance, in reality, a shooter has .90" (round it up to an inch) projectile (.45" + .45") ball to work with to mow that card down.
If you couldn't hit a 1" target at 15 yards in my unit, you shouldn't be playing our reindeer games .
My point- the smaller the caliber, the smaller the forgiveness of error. A 12 Gauge slug has a much larger foot print than a .177 pellet or bb. I'm more impressed with a card split by a .177 than a .35 cal!

IVe done it with a 12x scope and .177at 10 meters... dont remember the rifle
took about 15 shots.
Biggest thing to get right is the card or the shooter has to be perpendicular to the other... meaning you need to hit the card "square on" or the pellet will exit/enter before traversing the entire length/breadth of the card
HAving a backstop where you can see misses will help too

hardest part is sseing the edge of the card, or being able to visualize that spot in space. Even with 12x at 10m that s a _very_ small target

Reactions: The Warrior
First attempt. Basement range
Distance: 11 yards
Gun: Daystate Huntsman Revere .177 unregulated
Ammo: JSB 10.3 Exact Heavy
Scope: Athlon Talos SFP 3-12
Platform: Innorel Tripod with Clamping ball head
Disregard the mad scientist man cave basement. We have a ton of stuff down there.

2pQIQexh.jpg

czgiqtUh.jpg

Cooler with a rifle rated steel plate inside. The two shots down low were from a sight in of a different rifle so I recycled the paper.
xNbFa0Oh.jpg

First and only shot got it.
kqTKvzph.jpg

6jGrzNqh.jpg

It looks like 2 shots but I think the pellet turned and hit the paper sideways while going through the card. The side lighting helped as I could line the crosshair up with the edge of the shadow.

You went long ways on the cards. I will try one longways then start looking at longer distance.
at the time i didn't consider which orientation or that it didn't cut all the way through. i'm thinking that would require a fresh pack of cards, perfectly flat, good thickness, and not too warm, no rain, low humidity, etc. plus how the pellet can tumble along the way. i figure even a partial split gets the spirit of the goal.

First attempt. Basement range
Distance: 11 yards
Gun: Daystate Huntsman Revere .177 unregulated
Ammo: JSB 10.3 Exact Heavy
Scope: Athlon Talos SFP 3-12
Platform: Innorel Tripod with Clamping ball head
Disregard the mad scientist man cave basement. We have a ton of stuff down there.

2pQIQexh.jpg

czgiqtUh.jpg

Cooler with a rifle rated steel plate inside. The two shots down low were from a sight in of a different rifle so I recycled the paper.
xNbFa0Oh.jpg

First and only shot got it.
kqTKvzph.jpg

6jGrzNqh.jpg

It looks like 2 shots but I think the pellet turned and hit the paper sideways while going through the card. The side lighting helped as I could line the crosshair up with the edge of the shadow.
great idea with the button nail and clothes in im in

Reactions: Pelletonic