Tuning Carbon sleeve FX Crown.

20220105_152811.1641404500.jpg
I have had some good results with the carbon sleeve on my M3. So I've made the same sleeve on my FX Crown. It took two new spacers over the carbon part. These are printed parts that I have drawn this morning.

Fits like a glove.
20220105_151535.1641404245.jpg
20220105_151338.1641404246.jpg
20220105_105239.1641404247.jpg

Is it an stl? If you don't mind emailing it to me, I may be able to convert and slice it for the filament printer I have. Though, I'm sure resin would be a better medium.... Hmm. Now I'm wondering how well resin holds up to oil exposure, haha. Most plastics for sure do not.

Yes, it's ans STL. you can use it with every slicer and so you can print it on FDM or SLA for sure. I have printed the grey left one this morning on a FDM (pla filament printer).

It's not the same quality as a resinprint, but surely without any doubt usable for the purpose. I have used the same offset and it came out perfect. Just print it slow and use a low layerheight.

Keep in mind, I have only drawn this one for .25 othe calibers will come soon.

WhatsApp Image 2022-01-06 at 09.19.40.1641457341.jpeg

Danny;

I've got a 25 calibre Continuum II with the 380 mm and 600 mm barrels. Most of my shooting has been with the short barrel. I've been contemplating setting up the long barrel to shoot slugs. Saw a video of a Crown with the 700 mm barrel, the barrel vibrated like a tuning fork with each shot. It seem stiffening the barrel assembly is necessary. My plan was to install the CF liner stiffener and make new super light style shroud spacers that fit over the CF liner. You beat me to the punch.

I'd really like to know more about your set-up. Is that a real CF shroud? How do you attach the FX breach and Muzzle cap at either end? Have you noticed any change in the accuracy?

I don't have access to a 3D printer. Anyone is the Airgun Nation willing to print and sell these spacers?

George

Danny;

I've got a 25 calibre Continuum II with the 380 mm and 600 mm barrels. Most of my shooting has been with the short barrel. I've been contemplating setting up the long barrel to shoot slugs. Saw a video of a Crown with the 700 mm barrel, the barrel vibrated like a tuning fork with each shot. It seem stiffening the barrel assembly is necessary. My plan was to install the CF liner stiffener and make new super light style shroud spacers that fit over the CF liner. You beat me to the punch.

I'd really like to know more about your set-up. Is that a real CF shroud? How do you attach the FX breach and Muzzle cap at either end? Have you noticed any change in the accuracy?

I don't have access to a 3D printer. Anyone is the Airgun Nation willing to print and sell these spacers?

George

Hey George.

The shroud is wrapped in foil ;)

There is a way to use a real carbon shroud. A guy from the UK has made a video about it. I am not sure if there is anything gain from that. One has to make two custom aluminium parts where the shroud is glued on. Once glued is not to be reopened. Not my choice when you want to be able to change liners.

There is surely someone close to you who has a printer. I've got some requests for the file, and i will send them tomorrow.

I didn't had the chance to try it out to see if there is any change. We are still in lockdown, everything is closed. I hope the range will open soon.

There I will test it at 100 to 150 yards.

Danny;

I've seen the video of making a CF shroud for the Crown. There is also Matt Dauber's latest video where he briefly shows a barrel stiffener for an Impact and comments on the accuracy. Those two videos have got me seriously interested in stiffening my 600 mm barrel. Would you please send me the file? I'll start looking for someone to print the part. Thanks.

George

excellent work!!! 

In my 600mm crown barrel I also added the carbon liner sleeve but I just used 1 factory spacer at the very end and so far so good. IMOH having only 1 spacer at the end make the barrel behave more like a traditional free floating barrel, spacers in the middle only introduces variables when it comes to harmonics and primary reason I want the liner sleeve.

Reactions: Mcleod
Is it an stl? If you don't mind emailing it to me, I may be able to convert and slice it for the filament printer I have. Though, I'm sure resin would be a better medium.... Hmm. Now I'm wondering how well resin holds up to oil exposure, haha. Most plastics for sure do not.

Yes, it's ans STL. you can use it with every slicer and so you can print it on FDM or SLA for sure. I have printed the grey left one this morning on a FDM (pla filament printer).

It's not the same quality as a resinprint, but surely without any doubt usable for the purpose. I have used the same offset and it came out perfect. Just print it slow and use a low layerheight.

Keep in mind, I have only drawn this one for .25 othe calibers will come soon.

WhatsApp Image 2022-01-06 at 09.19.40.1641457341.jpeg
//www.w3.org/2000/svg%22%20viewBox=%220%200%20210%20140%22%3E%3C/svg%3E

Good deal. Even so, that design should be easy to modify for other calibers. I appreciate you sharing the file. My 3d design skills arent nearly where I'd like them to be yet. It is a lot of fun learning, though. 

danny5692,

I hadda local gun shop with 3 x 3D printers, make two of the carbon sleeve spacers for me using your plan ($20 for the pair). Got em today along with a carbon fiber sleeve from Utah Air (timing baby!). The two printed spacers worked and fit well on my new carbon fiber sleeve. They were slightly loose and would move if I just pushed them in so I hadda use some electrical tape to hold the position. The O-Ring well/groove also needed some very minor cleanup to seat the O-Ring completely and it was a nice tight fit in the shroud. I really appreciate the effort and kindness in allowing the use of your idea, much appreciated! Gonna go test em manana!

mike