Tuning Carbon fiber sleeve

Yes, you can improve the stiffness of a barrel by bonding a carbon fiber sleeve to it with epoxy or an anaerobic adhesive like Loctite 638. The benefit is greatest if you can enlarge the receiver to accept the now larger diameter.

Another technique is to thread the muzzle and slip an oversized CF sleeve over the barrel and use a nut to tighten down on the sleeve, whereby putting the barrel in tension to increase its resonant frequency / reduce its resonant magnitude.

Some barrels do not need a sleeve, I checked my Prophet 25 and 177 barrel , NO sleeve needed , Same with my Uragan , Mutant and old school bull pup 22 Cricket,,, Now I have read that some brands have thin wall barrels and could be helped with Carbon fiber sleeves , Its called barrel tuning as the barrel flexes up and down as the pellet is shot through the barrel,,, The only way to make these barrels flex is to bang on the end with a sledge hammer. Now I got the carbon fiber foo foo wrap on my shrouds just for bling and keep the finger prints off, I think it looks cool,,,, To each his own I guess .

Mike

Solid barrels with solid mounting like thread on or multiple bolts won’t need the carbon sleeves, which means most airguns won’t need the carbon sleeves besides for looks IMHO.

The FX barrels are very thin/light with fairly weak mounting method, they do see very noticeable improvements with carbon sleeves. However the carbon sleeve made them very consistent and performs like my FX guns have solid barrel so I can enjoy constantly switching barrels. It’s like having my cake and eat it too! 🤣 thanks to carbon fiber tubes my dreamtac compact scoped weights 6lb 9oz and my impact compact scoped weights in at 7lb and 10oz while still shooting like they have solid barrels.