• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Tuning Carbon Fiber liner sleeve

SGDM

Nov 3, 2020
KY
Quick question for the group: 

Current Airgun: FX impact MK2 PP .25 600mm

I have been looking for ways to increase the rigidity of the barrel and saw guys are using Ernest’s Carbon sleeve on the barrel liner. Any idea when these are supposed to be available again? They are already sold out for 600mm...

Additionally, when I was in the 910 website selling said products I noticed there is another Carbon product that appears to be made to replace the shroud? Are guys typically buying both of these and installing or is one in lieu of the other? Also sold out...

are there any disadvantages to the products? Noise, etc?

thanks!

SGDM!

I snagged one liner tube for my 500mm superlight .22 barrel. The little bit I shot it so far, it was silly accurate without me having to dial in a tune at all. Threw some 21gr LDC slugs in it @ 940 fps, and it was immediately printing under an inch at 72 yards (normal superior liner) 

This barrel used to be a 700mm unit, still have the slug liner and shroud I took off, but it was super picky with slugs and tune in it's old format. Albeit, extremely accurate when dialed. 

The new superior liners are supposed to be forgiving, and like shooting around 950fps. Coupled with the added tension... I think this is a homerun.

129757251_10158776034294034_5915731513241631875_o.1609628814.jpg

Reactions: monstr2
IMHO the liner sleeve is a much have and barrel tension sleeve is nice to have, I have both. Keep in mind that replacing the through with the car one tension sleeve will make it noticeably louder, the other option is the tension spacer which I think works just as well as the full sleeve, I have that too.

Ernest: you need to 10x your production! I need more of those carbon sleeves than crack! 

I’m getting ready to make my own sleeve. Should be fairly easy. You can buy the same carbon fiber tube Ernest uses off eBay. $40ish for 1000mm. Just have to cut it to length. I haven’t measured ID/OD of the liner sleeve but the stiffener is 20x14mm tube and it seems the only finish available from any seller on eBay is the same finish Ernest is using. Glossy twill. Other than the dreamline I don’t think there is anything special about the barrel stiffener tubes. Definitely nothing special about the sleeve. The dreamline stiffener is milled down on the breech end to allow the tube to push inside the block for added support.

Sleeve liner lengths below, I don’t have ID/OD Measurements yet.

Cut your 500mm liner sleeve to 390mm

600mm liner sleeve is 490mm

700mm liner sleeve is 590mm

The barrel stiffener length is different for every gun and barrel combo but that is a little more forgiving. On an impact just measure the length of the shroud. I’m thinking you could be off by 1-2mm and not worry too much because the barrel lock nut sticks out a bit and is what actually tightens the stiffener when a moderator is screwed on.

link to random cf tube seller

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3K-Carbon-Fiber-Tube-OD-20mm-21mm-22mm-23mm-24mm-25mm-x-1000mm-Roll-Wrapped-DIY-/133489098977?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292