Carbon Fiber BARREL HOUSING (not liner sleeve) for FX Impact

I have seen this a few times but I can not find anyone/anywhere selling it. Not the CF shroud or the liner sleeve, but the barrel housing. 

Here is a pic from PRS's facebook page...

245430979_2376824352452582_8509834493616697421_n.1641235090.jpg

Has anyone used this? Seems like a great way to cut a lot of weight, assuming the CF is as strong as the OEM barrel housing.

Thanks in advance for any info. 

Check out Viking Airgunner's youtube channel. His last video has them and a guy that makes them. The text on that page gives the email of a person that makes them.

Good luck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hy_6L_V9ka4&t=1s

I saw that video too, I didn't realize they mentioned it. Perfect I appreciate the info!! I will reach out to him.

I've just started makeing CF shrouds for my Fx wildcat and Impact and have had good results............I'm not by any means an engineer, but the 14mm barrel housing would seem to be a challenge requiring thread inserts for strength ? ....................I also like his chrono attachment, very neat.

You can bond metal directly to carbon fiber with strong epoxy. You just need sufficient surface area to carry the load.

It would be awesome if FX offers solid carbon barrel like pictured but I foresee cost goes up a good bit. DIY would be challenging due to the precise alignment requirement. I think eventually FX might make that as an option but the current system is already amazingly accurate with just adding a tiny little sleeve for liners so is the the juice worth the squeeze is the question. think they need to improve the barrel mounting/attachment before going to solid carbon barrel is even remotely worth the effort……but we will lose barrel interchange capability with all the barrels we already have so another is the juice worth the squeeze question. 

IMHO I don’t foresee any major changes from FX besides barrel tensioning system added which isn’t a secret at all. 

I think I might have a go at making one............I think I'll need to re-make the stainless fitting that the transfer port screws into and extend the other end for more surface area and 12mm OD........at the 1/2" unf end a new stainless fitting reducing to 12mm to glue inside the CF tube.........I'll order some bits and see how I go on........the acid test will be tightening the barrel liner lock..................

It would be awesome if FX offers solid carbon barrel like pictured but I foresee cost goes up a good bit. DIY would be challenging due to the precise alignment requirement. I think eventually FX might make that as an option but the current system is already amazingly accurate with just adding a tiny little sleeve for liners so is the the juice worth the squeeze is the question. think they need to improve the barrel mounting/attachment before going to solid carbon barrel is even remotely worth the effort……but we will lose barrel interchange capability with all the barrels we already have so another is the juice worth the squeeze question. 

IMHO I don’t foresee any major changes from FX besides barrel tensioning system added which isn’t a secret at all.

You would not lose caliber interchangeability if every liner used a CF tube to bring it up to a standard diameter so that all liners fit the same housing. DIY is easy with a lathe. I used a .22 liner in a .30 barrel housing for over two years and it shot great.

I think I might have a go at making one............I think I'll need to re-make the stainless fitting that the transfer port screws into and extend the other end for more surface area and 12mm OD........at the 1/2" unf end a new stainless fitting reducing to 12mm to glue inside the CF tube.........I'll order some bits and see how I go on........the acid test will be tightening the barrel liner lock..................

The barrel liner lock should just touch without adding compression to the liner. Compression magnifies harmonics. If you buy carbon fiber tube on ali-ex be sure to haggle the price. I got my shipping price reduced by half and kept the same delivery time.